Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 05:31 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,751,670 times

Advertisements

I wanted to live at least closer to L.A. or Long Beach. I was willing to put up with a sometimes gnarly commute.

I chose to live in Irvine for the sake of convenience and economic feasibility in my case. Talk about a place (and south OC altogether) where the architecture, "urban" planning and people have no personality or soul for the most part.

Let's just say that I wish I had chosen to live at least closer to L.A. or Long Beach anyway. By the way, the L.A. I like isn't the westside--but closeby Topanga Canyon is pretty sweet. But if I lived up there, I'd at least live in a (safe) neighborhood where I could be reasonably close to some combination of Venice, Pasadena, Burbank, Claremont, the Angeles Crest Highway, and, of course, Downtown LA and Long Beach.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 09-24-2013 at 05:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 05:32 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,295,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
LA still amazes me though. After a year and a half I'm still amazed whenever I drive. I still feel the vibrancy of going out.

The only things rubbing me a bit the wrong way are rent and job situation. I'm doing just fine financially but I feel stuck and fear that losing my job meas being banished to a wasteland and enduring the rough side of LA.

Honestly I'm only enjoying LA because I'm doing well financially
Yeah , I guess that's probably a concern for people anywhere in the country.

Good idea to have some money saved up 'just in case' until you can find another job if that happens, but I know what you mean.

Also curious , what area are you living in?

Old 09-24-2013, 05:40 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,934,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I'd say LA more than any other city has the most radical differences between nice and pure crap areas extremely close to each other. A few blocks of nasty and danger followed by mansions and/or posh stores, that sequence seems to be in most of LA.
No, Houston has LA beat on that.

But LA does come in at close second

Old 09-24-2013, 05:42 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,934,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah , I guess that's probably a concern for people anywhere in the country.

Good idea to have some money saved up 'just in case' until you can find another job if that happens, but I know what you mean.

Also curious , what area are you living in?
NoHo. I love my area and would want to move to burbank and toluca lake sometime in the future.

I actually have no desire to move closer into the city core

Old 09-24-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
NoHo. I love my area and would want to move to burbank and toluca lake sometime in the future.

I actually have no desire to move closer into the city core
Oh ok cool. Lot's going on in NoHo arts district, Burbank and Toluca also very nice too.

Citycore meaning downtown LA?

Old 09-24-2013, 05:57 PM

62 posts, read 111,694 times
You've got flaky people
You've got triple inflation
You've got high taxes
You've got a lot of other things I can't mention here because it's too spicy.
But for those of you who 'love it' - more power to you!
(jm1952) is right. I live outside of LA -

Old 09-24-2013, 06:07 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,767,938 times
Ooooooh, spicy.

What are you, 95 years old?

Old 09-24-2013, 06:20 PM

113 posts, read 194,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I'd say LA more than any other city has the most radical differences between nice and pure crap areas extremely close to each other. A few blocks of nasty and danger followed by mansions and/or posh stores, that sequence seems to be in most of LA.
Definitely agree with that. Sort of a reminder of how quickly you can go from being a have to a have not (or vice versa) in this town.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:40 PM

Yes, this is very true. Even if you are looking at one part of the city of L.A like the San Fernando Valley.

It's clear that City Hall isn't able to run the city well, and the city services need to be split up, along with LAUSD ,etc.

Too many neighborhoods that have had their best days behind them.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:24 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,632,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Too many neighborhoods that have had their best days behind them.
That's what's great about DTLA: Its the opposite of this. It was economically depressed for decades and now its getting billions in development at once. Its fun to see a neighborhood transform for the better in front of your eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles