Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2013, 12:36 PM

6 posts, read 20,130 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
Before you tell me how bad T-Mobile is and stuff I need some good feedback. I know that when you ask about a carrier 20% come on here and say how it is great for them, consistent, and the other 80% come to just say how terrible it was, drop calls, etc. How they had to switch their family out at $250 a line because they couldn't take it.

I need T-Mobile because it is the only network other than Sprint that has truly unlimited data (and only for $70/mo). This is important to me because I am going to be off wifi for work often and would like internet access. So my question is, how is it? Is it dependable? How fast are the internet speeds (when there is no LTE especially). Enough to stream videos? I'll be going anywhere for work. Santa Clarita, Bell Garden, Manhattan Beach, Temple City... all over LA. At location will I be able to stream Laker games over my phone if there is no Wifi present and I have to use T-Mobile's signal? What about if there is no LTE (I think it bumps down to HSPA+). What about then?

Thanks so much guys.
The reason I ask here is because I literally don't know anyone who has T-Mobile! I have AT&T and it is overrated as hell, expensive, and they don't let me use the internet. So, how is the truly unlimited data all over LA (and specifically Studio City as that is where I live).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 01:10 PM

134 posts, read 348,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king818 View Post
Hey guys,
Before you tell me how bad T-Mobile is and stuff I need some good feedback. I know that when you ask about a carrier 20% come on here and say how it is great for them, consistent, and the other 80% come to just say how terrible it was, drop calls, etc. How they had to switch their family out at $250 a line because they couldn't take it.

I need T-Mobile because it is the only network other than Sprint that has truly unlimited data (and only for $70/mo). This is important to me because I am going to be off wifi for work often and would like internet access. So my question is, how is it? Is it dependable? How fast are the internet speeds (when there is no LTE especially). Enough to stream videos? I'll be going anywhere for work. Santa Clarita, Bell Garden, Manhattan Beach, Temple City... all over LA. At location will I be able to stream Laker games over my phone if there is no Wifi present and I have to use T-Mobile's signal? What about if there is no LTE (I think it bumps down to HSPA+). What about then?

Thanks so much guys.
The reason I ask here is because I literally don't know anyone who has T-Mobile! I have AT&T and it is overrated as hell, expensive, and they don't let me use the internet. So, how is the truly unlimited data all over LA (and specifically Studio City as that is where I live).
I think I can help you out with some of that, I just switched from T-mobile to Verizon 2 days ago but up until then I've had T-mobile since 2009, I've only lived in LA 5 weeks now but I've been all over including Studio City and plus I traveled here alot through the years before moving here.

T-mobile is reliable as long as your in the city/suburbs so your fine as long as your not in the middle of nowhere then its useless verizon's the only one I know of that will never let you down no matter where you are, I had T-mobile back when I lived in VA Beach which is the very definition of suburbs nothing like LA and I still always had 4G coverage but there 4G and LTE are not quite up to par with Verizon though I usually got around 10 up and 3.5 down when I ran a speed test, Verizons LTE pushes almost 32 up sometimes, however T-mobile is still quick enough for everyday use.

The main reason I left T-mobile is although there speeds were decent and call quality was fine, there data network was inconsistent it would always show 4G or LTE on the screen but sometimes it just wouldn't make a connection when I wanted it, then 5 minutes later it works again all the sudden.

Last but not least be careful with the truly unlimited thing because mine also said unlimited data but small print said that after 10GB it would drop down, overall though you should be fine with T-mobile especially in LA my only major annoyance with them was the Data sometimes not working.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:32 PM

6 posts, read 20,130 times
Thanks so much for the feedback man.
Did you notice that all over LA you mostly had 4g or LTE coverage? I don't really wanna see 3g

I wonder how it would be out in not as central areas, as that's where I work often. Places like Temple City, Bell, Santa Clarita. If it's at least 4g that's good enough I'd think for online video streams?

Old 09-28-2013, 01:43 PM

134 posts, read 348,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king818 View Post
Thanks so much for the feedback man.
Did you notice that all over LA you mostly had 4g or LTE coverage? I don't really wanna see 3g

I wonder how it would be out in not as central areas, as that's where I work often. Places like Temple City, Bell, Santa Clarita. If it's at least 4g that's good enough I'd think for online video streams?
I hardly ever saw 3g but it would constantly alternate between 4g and LTE but 4g seemed to be quick for video streams and stuff, I haven't been to the other areas you listed but judging by their size they still seem to be more suburban than totally rual so I think you would be ok, btw T-mobile has a pretty awesome selection of phones too in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles