Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 04:08 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,488,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky1212 View Post
Exactly. You can buy a whole neighborhood in Detroit for a million, but then you're left being in Detroit. The reason why NYC is so expensive is because there are things you get here that you can't get anywhere else. 24 hour public transportation, 60-70 Michelin star restaurants, 4 a.m. last call at bars & clubs, hundreds of art galleries, museums and cultural centers, world-class shopping all packed into one tiny area.

Please stop confusing Manhattan with NYC. NYC consists of 5 boroughs and many of the things you mentioned are NOT available everywhere in all 5 boroughs.
The reason why NYC is so expensive is GREED. Wall Street excesses drive up real estate prices all over the 5 boroughs in addition to the unbearable overpopulation. The 1%-99% division is very prominent in this city, and the 1% fight hard to keep it that way. Meanwhile the 99% is miserable and pissed. Many run to Long Island, Westchester, and New Jersey seeking a better life.
The expensive parts of Manhattan have nothing on Beverly Hills, Holmby Hills, Westwood and Malibu and I know of nothing in the LA area that rivals the destitution of some of the projects in Brooklyn and the Bronx.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:14 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,661,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky1212 View Post
As to the first part, it looks like I was right, about 2x the price.

As the the second part, San Marino is a fantastic city I'm sure, with a population of about 13k people. Similarly, there are about 13k people living in Soho, NYC. The median home price there is 2.5m vs 1.8 for san marino. Thats how I reconcile it :P
Not allowed! We're comparing cities, not neighborhoods! The best CITIES according to home price are in the LA area, not NY area. You lose sorry

Old 10-01-2013, 04:17 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Places like this really are not very common within Los Angeles.
I was just naming chains. Applebees actually is fairly common in LA. You can supplement Dave & busters and BBQ's for BJ's and Denny's.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:21 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
The expensive parts of Manhattan have nothing on Beverly Hills, Holmby Hills, Westwood and Malibu and I know of nothing in the LA area that rivals the destitution of some of the projects in Brooklyn and the Bronx.
Very true. I don't think you can walk 10 blocks in any direction in Brooklyn or The Bronx and not see tall, filthy, destructive housing projects. They look like fortresses.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:29 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
Welcome to the new economy. LA is rich and poor too but there's a lot of assistance handed out to keep the city from looking abysmal like the rust belt and the hard hit northeastern areas.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:45 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Please stop confusing Manhattan with NYC. NYC consists of 5 boroughs and many of the things you mentioned are NOT available everywhere in all 5 boroughs.
The reason why NYC is so expensive is GREED. Wall Street excesses drive up real estate prices all over the 5 boroughs in addition to the unbearable overpopulation. The 1%-99% division is very prominent in this city, and the 1% fight hard to keep it that way. Meanwhile the 99% is miserable and pissed. Many run to Long Island, Westchester, and New Jersey seeking a better life.
so so true. the glamorous part of NYC is very limited and a one percenter area.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:47 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
I was just naming chains. Applebees actually is fairly common in LA. You can supplement Dave & busters and BBQ's for BJ's and Denny's.
No, it's not:

http://goo.gl/maps/sDCmp

There is one in Chatsworth, and a few in the suburbs.

BJ's has a two locations in Los Angeles: http://goo.gl/maps/9Ok1t

Denny's I've seen quite a bit of within Los Angeles. Never seen a Dave and Busters out here, in LA or the suburbs.

The actual City of Los Angeles does not have many chain stores, despite the cliche many hold of Los Angeles being full of "strip malls and chain stores".

Old 10-01-2013, 04:54 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
No, it's not:

http://goo.gl/maps/sDCmp

There is one in Chatsworth, and a few in the suburbs.

BJ's has a two locations in Los Angeles: http://goo.gl/maps/9Ok1t

Denny's I've seen quite a bit of within Los Angeles. Never seen a Dave and Busters out here, in LA or the suburbs.

The actual City of Los Angeles does not have many chain stores, despite the cliche many hold of Los Angeles being full of "strip malls and chain stores".
Thank you very much. Oddly, that is not the first time our fair city has been slurred thusly. Applebee's free and proud.

Remember the previous incarnation of Denny's? Eeeeshhh.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:37 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Norm's > Denny's

Old 10-01-2013, 05:56 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Norm's > Denny's
Agreed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles