Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2019, 05:37 PM

20 posts, read 29,263 times

Advertisements

My Aunt needs to be treated at UCLA Santa Monica cancer center and is looking for a place that offers free or greatly reduced rates for lodging for cancer patients. Anyone have any resources? It would be greatly appreciated. She lives in Nevada, and we are trying to save her life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 06:22 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
Check with the hospital. Many actually have their own residential apartments nearby for exactly that. Kaiser Sunset in Hollywood does and so does Good Samaritan west of downtown.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:35 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
^^^^^^what he said

Old 07-29-2019, 01:18 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,240,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gina8521 View Post
My Aunt needs to be treated at UCLA Santa Monica cancer center and is looking for a place that offers free or greatly reduced rates for lodging for cancer patients. Anyone have any resources? It would be greatly appreciated. She lives in Nevada, and we are trying to save her life.
She should be working with one of the transplant coordinators, at UCLA. The team there is wonderful...they should be able to refer her to places to stay.

Source: I work with the transplant team.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:31 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,376,903 times
Contact Airbnb via Twitter (or phone). They have a program in most cities to help folks in similar situations as yours.
Prayers for you Aunt. She's very fortunate to be receiving care from that particular hospital

Old 07-30-2019, 10:50 AM

20 posts, read 29,263 times
Thanks for the suggestions.

I have spoken with the social worker at UCLA & it seems that there are not many resources for patients needing discount housing for cancer treatment. We are pursuing what leads I have been able to find. It's sad there are not more resources in that area. We were advised to rent a furnished apt for $5000 a month. That is not possible.

If anyone has any more ideas, please post!

Old 07-30-2019, 11:15 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,143,462 times
Los Angeles is not charity city. Sorry but i do not believe there are free or reduce place to rent. While that might sounds very harsh, that is the reality.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:19 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
You can rent a hotel or airbnb for less than $5,000/month as long as you don't need anything fancy.

Old 07-30-2019, 04:53 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,240,103 times
Quote:

I have spoken with the social worker at UCLA & it seems that there are not many resources for patients needing discount housing for cancer treatment. We are pursuing what leads I have been able to find. It's sad there are not more resources in that area. We were advised to rent a furnished apt for $5000 a month. That is not possible.

Not the social worker. The actual transplant coordinators. They are all locals (born and raised) and actually care about patients. Strike up a convo and ask them and they will most likely have leads for you.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:31 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,974,409 times
Quote:

I don't know if your aunt has a specific type of cancer that has a clinical trial going on only at UCLA that would require her going there. I'm sure UCLA has fine doctors. The Santa Monica campus isn't nationally ranked for oncology. The Westwood campus is #21 nationally for oncology, tied with USC's Norris Cancer Center on their medical campus.

The highest nationally ranked hospital for oncology in the LA area is City of Hope in Duarte, which is ranked #11. City of Hope may be close enough to rent a cheaper place in Pomona or the Western IE. That being said, there may be specific cancers where UCLA has better outcomes, but overall City of Hope has the better national reputation, and housing around there will be less expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles