Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 03:47 PM

34 posts, read 32,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
Manhattan Beach - Upscale families and executive types. Very fitness oriented - You can find plenty of small gyms, yoga centers along Highland Ave as well as fine dining and shopping. There is a big Whole Foods in neighboring El Segundo.

Hermosa Beach - Slightly younger crowd, less family oriented. Lots of people here work in advertising, PR, or are personal trainers, bloggers, etc... Vibrant bar scene around Pier Ave and lots of restaurants in the surrounding area. Very active beach scene as far as beach volleyball and football leagues, etc.... The Whole Foods and Sprouts are in neighboring Redondo Beach which isn't far.

Redondo Beach - More laid back than the other two. it is also a larger city than the HB or MB. Lots of good grocery shopping. More low key scene.

Seal Beach - Very similar in feel to Redondo, but you border Long Beach to the North and Huntington Beach to the South.
Yby1 - You are awesome! You are my go to person for living in SoCal. Thank you very much. I think I know what area to start looking.

What your thoughts on Huntington Beach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 04:10 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,186,378 times
Thanks. I spend lots of time in Manhattan and Hermosa because most of my friends live there. I also play lots of beach volleyball. Very familiar with the area.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
Thanks. I spend lots of time in Manhattan and Hermosa because most of my friends live there. I also play lots of beach volleyball. Very familiar with the area.
What's your opinion on Marina Del Rey or Playa Del Rey? I'm going to plan to go up to South Bay next week or weekend and look around.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:47 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,186,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude007 View Post
What's your opinion on Marina Del Rey or Playa Del Rey? I'm going to plan to go up to South Bay next week or weekend and look around.

Playa Del Rey is more of a bedroom community. You have the beach nearby, but there isn't much retail or restaurants there. You'll have to go into Westchester for shopping which has a Bristol Farm's grocery store and Trader Joe's. There are also jogging trails near LMU and down around Playa Vista. It's not a bad choice if you want a sleepy town vibe.

Marina Del Rey is more for the city dweller that wants to live near the waterfront IMO. There is no real beach in the area, but you can easily bike to either Playa Del Rey or Venice Beach. There are a few shopping centers in the area with plenty of dining options or you can head into Venice if you want to check out tat scene. There is a couple of Ralphs and Vons in MDR, but Venice has a Whole Foods or you can drive 5 minutes on the 90 to get to Sprouts in Culver City. There is a fantastic natural foods store nearby called Rainbow Acres that you should check out.

If you like to bike or run, it's really easy from MDR to bike/run/skate into the South Bay all the way into Redondo Beach or to head north through Venice Beach and head out as far north as Sunset Blvd.

So if you want the best of both worlds, you should check out MDR.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:47 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,783,339 times
Quote:
Once I'm in like Flynn, I'll let you know! What's your professional experience.
Direct messaging you.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:44 PM

1 posts, read 781 times
That's easy...Long Beach. Closer to the beach is best. Between Ocean and 4th St. Everyone that lives there loves Long Beach. New people move in and love Long Beach. If you surf Seal Beach is a bike ride away. You can walk to almost anyplace you need. Everyone is so friendly. Diverse community of cool people lol. You can easily get onto the 605 north. Seal Beach is excellent too. Its more pricey and more congested in the summer time.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:48 AM

23 posts, read 58,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynLBC View Post
That's easy...Long Beach. Closer to the beach is best. Between Ocean and 4th St. Everyone that lives there loves Long Beach. New people move in and love Long Beach. If you surf Seal Beach is a bike ride away. You can walk to almost anyplace you need. Everyone is so friendly. Diverse community of cool people lol. You can easily get onto the 605 north. Seal Beach is excellent too. Its more pricey and more congested in the summer time.
Another vote for Long Beach / Belmont Shore. Fits everything on the OP's list and easy drive up the 605 to the 91...

Old 10-05-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynLBC View Post
Thanks for suggestion. I'll check it out on my drive up as well.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:53 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,996,364 times
I don't think the commute from the South Bay to the OP's work will be bad. It's basically a straight shot east/west on 91 going counter traffic. I think it's the closest thing to the SD lifestyle the OP is used to that is also a reasonable commuting distance. I would strongly recommend staying south of LAX to keep the commute reasonable. That means Santa Monica, Playa Del Rey, and Marina Del Rey are out. I live in Santa Monica and can tell you that commute would be absolutely awful.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:58 PM

64 posts, read 111,808 times
Default Nice places

Quote:
I keep seeing a lot of suggestions from the forums in regards to Pasadena, Culver City, and Santa Monica.
Pasadena is a nice place, very elegant and full of money, but it is an inferno in the summer, and a long ride to any beach. Culver City is a bit sleepy, but is beach adjacent and has all the amenities you mentioned. Santa Monica is right on the beach, clean and well run, but very, very expensive. Unless, like me, you lucked into a rent-controlled apartment. Then it's very doable.

Manhattan Beach is a good option, but it is also a bit expensive.

Good luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles