Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 02:13 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,762,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
Lol! You've taken classes with Ijams? Nice guy!
Hasn't every transplant? I did it like 10 years ago, Also took classes with Ron, with RB parks and rec, the sand in HB and MB is much nicer although parking is worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 02:30 AM

1,319 posts, read 2,184,800 times
Growing up here, I was taught by coach Featherstone. Lol. Do you play in the prank monkey league?

Old 10-09-2013, 04:49 PM

6 posts, read 7,715 times
Santa Clarita is nice but pricy though. The commute every morning can be brutal.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
Growing up here, I was taught by coach Featherstone. Lol. Do you play in the prank monkey league?
I've never played in a league, do you ever run short finding guys to play vball. I'm only 5'9 and play below the net.

If you aren't going to be walking distance to the beach. consider any location 5 minutes west of the 405. Artesia is a busy main steet. There is a mall and a lot of business on Artesia and Hawthorne, three cites meet there. You'll learn when to avoid using the freeway off ramps there even if they might be the closest. If you like exploring get a place in Torrance, you'll be close to the beaches , close to fwy for long beach, and without traffic, only about 20 minutes to Santa Monica. I'd avoid going to far south of Del Amo Blvd, you'll be hitting street traffic trying to get to the freeways.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:27 PM

34 posts, read 32,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
I've never played in a league, do you ever run short finding guys to play vball. I'm only 5'9 and play below the net.

If you aren't going to be walking distance to the beach. consider any location 5 minutes west of the 405. Artesia is a busy main steet. There is a mall and a lot of business on Artesia and Hawthorne, three cites meet there. You'll learn when to avoid using the freeway off ramps there even if they might be the closest. If you like exploring get a place in Torrance, you'll be close to the beaches , close to fwy for long beach, and without traffic, only about 20 minutes to Santa Monica. I'd avoid going to far south of Del Amo Blvd, you'll be hitting street traffic trying to get to the freeways.

My work is closer to the 105/605.

Damn I thought I found a couple killer units right off Artesia/Vanderbilt and South Redondo beach. I'm heading up there tomorrow for these tours....

Old 10-11-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Use the 405 110 91 since you are going against traffic it wont be bad because you are going against traffic. Is your work closer to the 105 or the 91?

Spend extra get a place walking distant to the beach , take a volleyball class with Steve in Manhattan Beach, meet some people and be done with it, after a year move if you want to save money, by then you'll have a lay of the land, but after you've lived that life style you wont want to move until you decide to get married. You'll then move to north redondo because because homes are so expensive in hermosa , and you didn't save enough move because you were drinking too much on pier ave, after volleyball. You'll rent in redondo, have a kid or two , then move closer to work and buy a house in cypress.

Wow I'm seeing my life flash before my very eyes!

Old 10-12-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude007 View Post
My work is closer to the 105/605.
Because you are closer to the 105, versus the 91, You'll actually be able to get to places like Playa Vista, Westchester,el segundo , and the the southern part of culver city and Mar Vista in the same amount of time as it takes to get to parts of South Redondo, so you have tons of options. People have disagreed but I frequently go to Mar Vista and South Redondo coming from the east. The few minutes and traffic it takes to get from the 105 to the 91 is the same as you'd deal with traveling north on either the 405 or Sepulveda.

Also there are active train tracks on the border of eastern North Redondo and Torrance border, east of Inglewood.

There is a large condo complex on Prospect and S. Camino Real, they have their own tennis courts, even though there are public ones across the streets , pool, workout area, people commonly rent out their units when they move out and buy a house.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:23 AM

Last weekend I checked out Hermosa, Redondo, and Manhattan beaches. Today I checked out Marina Del Rey, Culver City, Playa Del Rey, Mar Vista...

Everyone's opinion on South Bay and West LA was on point. I appreciate the advice. I trenched through the traffic at peak rush hour and noticed I would be going the opposite of rush hour....BUT, I must say I'm really missing going to miss SD comforts after what I've seen.

South Bay commute is out for me. I loved South Redondo and Manhattan but it didn't have what I was looking for. HB is way too hippy for me. The 91 going into HB was pretty bad traffic wise. I did like South Redondo and MB though (pricey and smalltown, I get the sense everyone knows your business).

Marina Del Rey is perfect, but it's way pricey for a one bedroom. I'm going to try to find a roommate to get an amazing wo bedroom if posible and minimize the cost. the 105 is straight shot by taking either 405 or Lincoln to Sepulveda and cut over.

Next is Belmont Shores, Huntington Beach, Costa Mesa/Newport. Thoughts and suggestions on traffic and amenities. 405N will be murderous until I hit 605N I'm assuming.

Last edited by HappyDude007; 10-17-2013 at 01:39 AM..

Old 10-17-2013, 04:48 AM

I drove the 91 on Sunday from the 605 at about 1pm, that is going with traffic and it sucks.

Anything south you'll be dealing with traffic, Belmont Shore and Huntington Beach would be bearable , but I'd say Costa Mesa and Newport you'd be pushing 50 minutes, although people do make that drive. I saw an updated 2bed 2ba condo on Bolsa Chica and it was going for $2200, just to give you an idea of cost.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:52 PM

I want to thank everyone for their advice. I temporarily moved to Marina Del Rey Month to Month since I last posted. Lopez was right that my commute from 90E to 405S to 105E was going to be opposite of traffic. I get in on average 30-40 min.

My boss is now giving the option to telecommute from home, pay raise, and bonus; which significantly expands my choices on places to live.

Having a hard time deciding on a more permanent place that I have to move into by June 1st (tenant owner lease is up).

I love South Bay, but I'm having a hard time finding anything in MB.
Santa Monica is awesome, but the rents are as expensive if not more than MB, and there's less street parking, and additional sales taxes in the city.

Brentwood/Westwood seems to family oriented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles