U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 01:15 PM

490 posts, read 607,242 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be in LA for 4 weeks in Feb '14.

Whilst I'll be spending most of my time in the city, I want to take a few trips out of town here and there.

What are your suggestions for things to see and do that can be done in a day trip? I won't be with kids, so no theme parks and such like.

I'll be staying in Calabasas so places to the north of LA will probably be easiest to reach, but I would think San Diego is still do-able with an early start?

I'm happy to rack up the miles in the rental car so where do you think I should go?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 01:27 PM

108 posts, read 164,635 times
Too bad you're visiting LA in 2014 and not 2034, as that will be the year the high speed train from SF to LA opens.

Just imagine, a day trip to SF and back in the same day!

I Love LA!

Old 10-13-2013, 03:12 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,534,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G. Griffin View Post
I'm going to be in LA for 4 weeks in Feb '14.

Whilst I'll be spending most of my time in the city, I want to take a few trips out of town here and there.

What are your suggestions for things to see and do that can be done in a day trip? I won't be with kids, so no theme parks and such like.

I'll be staying in Calabasas so places to the north of LA will probably be easiest to reach, but I would think San Diego is still do-able with an early start?

I'm happy to rack up the miles in the rental car so where do you think I should go?
San Diego is more of a weekend getaway. You could try to do it, but I personally think it's too far and too nice for just 1 day. Someplace like Newport Beach, Dana Point to the south & Santa Barbara to the North would be more feasible for a day trip.

You could also check out places like:

Joshua Tree, Catalina Island, Malibu, Any of the Beach Areas & The Angeles National Forest.

Also, Make sure you check out Griffith Park & Topanga Canyon. Those are in the City but will make you feel like your in another State. Lastly, If you want the best Mexican food possible, a day trip to Boyle Heights or East LA will give you some culture shock & will show you a side of Los Angeles that most tourist don't get to see. Make sure you eat at Guisados, Cinco Puntos, or El tepyac (HUGE burritos).

Old 10-13-2013, 03:53 PM

Thanks Jamills.

I'll definitely be at Griffith Park (probably a few times) It's one of my favorite spots in the city.

I've never seen Joshua Tree so that will make a nice trip, especially in Feb before the summer heat renders it unbearable.

And thanks for the food suggestions. I'm always on the look out for a great burger/sandwich/burrito/taco etc.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:02 PM

16,631 posts, read 17,545,019 times
From Calabasas, try Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo/Atascadero/Pismo Beach. These would be good day trips since you are already in the NW part of LA County.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:02 PM

434 posts, read 915,659 times
I'll second ccm123's vote for Santa Barbara:

Things to do in Santa Barbara: Check out 67 Santa Barbara Attractions - TripAdvisor

and add Ventura to the list:

Things to do in Ventura: Check out 15 Ventura Attractions - TripAdvisor

(Although I'd pick Santa Barbara first.)

It will take some planning, but you might also enjoy a trip on Amtrak's Pacific Surfliner. Many years have passed since my last Surfliner ride from L.A. to Ventura and back, but I remember a comfortable trip and many miles of terrific scenery along the route.

Overview: http://www.amtrak.com/pacific-surfliner-train

Schedule: http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/536/483/...e-040113,0.pdf

Last edited by California Vagabond; 10-13-2013 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: *

Old 10-13-2013, 09:10 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,824,809 times
I noticed you mentioned out of town. Calabasas has some beautiful mountains and there are some great hiking trails in the Mountains that have amazing vistas of the ocean below.

If this isn't your thing, there is an interesting town called Solvang a few hours drive from there. It was settled by Scandinavians and there are a few nice restaurants and gift shops there. The AEbleskivers were delicious..

Old 10-14-2013, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
I noticed you mentioned out of town. Calabasas has some beautiful mountains and there are some great hiking trails in the Mountains that have amazing vistas of the ocean below.

If this isn't your thing, there is an interesting town called Solvang a few hours drive from there. It was settled by Scandinavians and there are a few nice restaurants and gift shops there. The AEbleskivers were delicious..
Great recommendations. I'd never have thought of going to Solvang.

Can't beat a bit of local knowledge!

Thank you all for the ideas so far, please keep them coming.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:08 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health!" (set 27 days ago)

36,112 posts, read 36,364,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
San Diego is more of a weekend getaway. You could try to do it, but I personally think it's too far and too nice for just 1 day. Someplace like Newport Beach, Dana Point to the south & Santa Barbara to the North would be more feasible for a day trip.
I would add Laguna Beach to the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
From Calabasas, try Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo/Atascadero/Pismo Beach. These would be good day trips since you are already in the NW part of LA County.
To this I would add Ojai.

Also within L.A. I would add the Will Rogers Park as a nice place to visit (see Will Rogers SHP ). Visiting this park feels like going on a day trip outside of the city area.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:59 PM

One thing I'm wondering is which parts of the Angeles Nat'l Forest are open to traffic in Feb.

I'm guessing a lot of the minor roads are under a lot of snow then. Is the Angeles Crest Highway open?

How about Mt Wilson? I've been there in high summer a long time ago, but is it snowbound in February?

Farther east, can I get to Big Bear Lake or Lake Arrowhead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles