Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 02:43 AM

63 posts, read 167,393 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a house to possible rent tomorrow. It is on Isabel near Jeffries. I have been trying to find information on the area regarding safety and most of what I find is negative but also written a few years ago.
Does anyone know if this area is safe? It is one block north of Figueroa St. and two blocks east of Marmion Way.
I would be very grateful for any input about the area. Is it actually Mt. Washington as we have been told or is it Cypress Park. The idea of being close to gang territory scares me.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 12:40 PM

1,297 posts, read 1,808,657 times
That may technically be Mt. Washington but that is not a very nice area. I live nearby in Highland Park and suggest you look north of York for better environs. There are pockets of HP that are quite nice too as the area is improving but you need to look carefully and north of York is the better part of HP. Good luck with your search!

Old 10-18-2013, 12:59 PM

8,430 posts, read 10,844,001 times
The location you posted is a bit confusing.
Figueroa runs north and south, so how could the location be north of Figueroa?
If it were 2 blocks east of Marmion way, it would be on Figueroa.
Both Marmion way, and Figueroa run north and south.
Bob.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:22 PM

6 posts, read 36,590 times
The area around Nightingale Middle school is improving, but I'd still not rent there. I live about a mile away just off Isabel. Isabel is the dividing line between Mt Washington and Cypress Park. Upper portion is Mt Washington, lower is Cypress Park.

There is a crime data map webpage. Just type in 90065 for the zip code
CrimeMapping.com - National Map

Old 10-18-2013, 10:28 PM

63 posts, read 167,393 times
Thanks for your opinions. Went there today and did not like the feel of the area or the place itself.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:56 PM

374 posts, read 718,788 times
the area is not good.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:27 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,457,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcief View Post
I am looking at a house to possible rent tomorrow. It is on Isabel near Jeffries. I have been trying to find information on the area regarding safety and most of what I find is negative but also written a few years ago.
Does anyone know if this area is safe? It is one block north of Figueroa St. and two blocks east of Marmion Way.
I would be very grateful for any input about the area. Is it actually Mt. Washington as we have been told or is it Cypress Park. The idea of being close to gang territory scares me.
Thanks!
That's DEFINTELY Cypress Park. Not that good of an area at all, sorry to say. It's a little pocket of desolation. Some new infill is taking place on San Fernando Road but the area is just too forlorn except for some of the gangs that live there/pass through and there are better areas that are quite close, so you may as well live in them. You have to take Figueroa north (toward the higher hills) a bit and then on your left is Mt. Washington.

I had family that lived in Mount Washington West for a long time. Nice place but the "valley" below is not as great. Eagle Rock is the best of the flat areas (dad lives there) but there is some serious hilliness there even so. Charming but have to be careful as the streets are narrow for the most part and parking is at a premium.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydaken View Post
The area around Nightingale Middle school is improving, but I'd still not rent there. I live about a mile away just off Isabel. Isabel is the dividing line between Mt Washington and Cypress Park. Upper portion is Mt Washington, lower is Cypress Park.

There is a crime data map webpage. Just type in 90065 for the zip code
CrimeMapping.com - National Map
Problem with that is that the WHOLE area is 90065 (Cypress Park, Mount Washington, Glassell Park) except for a small area which bleeds into 90042 (Highland Park). There are wide variations between neighborhoods in the 90065.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:39 AM

374 posts, read 718,788 times
The whole area is a heaping pile of poor.

Absolutely terrible place to be.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenere View Post
The whole area is a heaping pile of poor.

Absolutely terrible place to be.
Actually, no, if you're referring to the whole of 90065.

Up on the hill is a really NICE place to be.

There are gradations within the area, and things have changed from when my grandfather was a kid to when my father was a kid to when my generation was coming up to now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles