Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 12:29 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
How is the Red Line not local service, but the Regional Connector would be?
Easy. When you forget a downtown area has a subway that makes multiple stops within downtown, get called on that mistake, then insist on digging in. The next move is to insist downtown "local service" is defined as a circuit contained exclusively within the downtown area. Just watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 12:44 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
LA isn't small by any stretch of the imagination. It is massive both land-wise and population-wise. I'm saying that it has an underdeveloped downtown compared to its peers.

I feel that most people are very critical of LA because it has arguably one of the best locations of any city in the US. I just sometimes wish it could have the physical appearance of so many other US cities instead of the city that we have today.
I think the biggest mistake, or it's not a mistake, it was done for a reason, was not putting downtown right at at the beach. That would have been something..

Old 10-31-2013, 01:38 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,421 times
Here's a good thread to explain why it wasn't //www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...ilt-along.html

Quote:
How is the Red Line not local service, but the Regional Connector would be?
It wouldn't. I guess I was just saying it would improve connectivity and add additional stops in DTLA.
Quote:
I think it is funny that there are posters on here that will use DTLA size against it no matter which way you go. If it's 2 square miles - "Oh it's too big and spread out". If it's 1 square mile - "Oh it's too small, insignificant".
Personally, I don't think size is a huge factor for a good city so long as its all connected. That's where DTLA has the problem, its spread out with gaping holes in it (which they are trying to fix). Park 101 will be amazing when (if) that ever goes through. I was in Dallas last weekend and their freeway cap is phenomenal.
Quote:
Downtown Milwaukee looks nice. Don't see what it has to do with DTLA having a ton of construction going on right now (and more, and more, and more coming).
Very little. Some guy went off topic and said LA couldn't compete even with Milwaukee and then someone else responded by mouthing off and calling Milwaukee a joke. I'm not going to take that laying down. Deal with it.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:56 PM

546 posts, read 817,713 times
[quote=HyperionGap;32028991]
Groceries/ Fresh Food: Milwaukee
Milwaukee has Whole Foods, MKE Public Market, 2 super markets and a weekly farmer's market. DTLA JUST got a CityTarget & Ralphs. There are no Trader Joe's, sprouts, Whole Foods, etc. in DTLA.
[quote]

JohnG72 already did a good job of responding to your post so I will only add the following:

There is a Whole Foods coming to downtown LA in a new devleopment near 8th/Grand.

Compact/Walkability - Milwaukee
Downtown Milwaukee is about 2 square miles. DTLA twice that.

Yes, downtown LA is bigger and has more to offer. That does not make it unwalkable. DTLA is very walkable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post

Visual Arts - Milwaukee
Milwaukee Art Museum is definitely more impressive than MOCA or the Grammy Museum (rofl). The best museums are all outside of downtown: Getty, Getty Villa, LACMA, Norton Simon, Pacific Asia Museum, Gene Autry, Southwest, Griffith Park, etc
Downtown LA has MOCA, the Geffen Contemporary and the Broad is under construction.

I will concede I've only been to Milwaukee once. But to be honest it is such a small city I don't really find it necessary to go back. Not knocking it...but come on. DTLA has two side by side National Register Historic Districts. One has been transformed (Spring) and the other one (Broadway) is getting rehabbed now.

I remember walking in Milwaukee's arts/fashion district on a Sat afternoon and it was DEAD! Try walking DTLA's fashion district on a Saturday morning/afternoon and it is packed with people.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMersh View Post
I will concede I've only been to Milwaukee once. But to be honest it is such a small city I don't really find it necessary to go back.
That's such a terrible argument. Good lord. Please explain to me why anyone from out of town (hypothetically lets say Milwaukee) would ever find it necessary to go DTLA more than once?

Old 10-31-2013, 03:08 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
That's such a terrible argument. Good lord. Please explain to me why anyone from out of town (hypothetically lets say Milwaukee) would ever find it necessary to go DTLA more than once?
Yeah but does Milwaukee's downtown have human waste or rats? I mean who doesn't like Norway rats?

Human waste, rats' nests and used needles spur Skid Row cleanup order - HealthPop - CBS News

http://www.publichealth.lacounty.gov...norway_Rat.pdf

Old 10-31-2013, 05:56 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Maybe because that person forgot something on the subway.

FWIW - the LA weekly shows 69 events Downtown, excluding adjacent Chinatown, this weekend.
Los Angeles Events Dates: Fri Nov 1st, Sat Nov 2nd, Sun Nov 3rd | Neighborhood: Downtown - Los Angeles Entertainment Guide

Whereas DT Milwaukee has a respectable 44.
OnMilwaukee.com Event Search

That margin is only going to widen.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:19 PM

secundum quid

Old 11-01-2013, 04:50 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
HyperioGap, when describing downtown Los Angeles, please know what you're talking about when you mention markets, shopping, festivals, public transportation, concerts, nightlife or anything else. Because your posts clearly say you simply don't know.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:01 AM

I replied to someone who has admitted to being in Milwaukee just once, and you're telling me I, an LA native, don't understand the metro I grew up in? What a joke. It's ok, I understand that Angelenos have a huge chip on their shoulder because DTLA has been a complete sh**hole for so long and now that it actually isn't we want to go around thumping our chests.

I'm so glad you mentioned public transportation.
I'm quite confident I know more about LA's public transportation better than anyone else in this thread (and unless someone comes in here and says they're an analyst for metro or LADOT, I'm going to stick with this assumption) as I did my undergrad thesis on TOD's in LA, then did more research on demand pricing for my masters where I used the 110 as one of my case studies, and then when I was working at a think tank in Milwaukee regarding implementation of a BRT system I obviously did extensive research on the orange line. On top of that, my best friend works at metro so I get insider information about all the new projects and the political drama.

Yeah, I certainly don't know what I'm talking about

Oh I also somehow forgot about the "rivers". Silly me. Though, calling the LA river a river is actually a compliment, it's more like a concrete sewage channel.

Last edited by HyperionGap; 11-01-2013 at 08:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles