Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 05:11 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,589,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
I think this is one of the most overrated cons that people say. Yes, the water is cold compared to Florida, but if you get in the water for more than 10 minutes your body adjust to the temperature.
Particualry when the trade-off for cooler water is lower humidity. Which is nice if you intend to spend most of your life in the air.

The South and EC whine incessantly about SoCal's ocean temp mostly because it's all they got.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 05:06 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,237,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
I have a list of places that I would like to visit in the U.S. and LA happens to be at the top of that list. I want to go because the beaches seem to amazing and I would love to explore the city and the surrounding mountains as well (I've heard the views from Mullholland are amazing). I also think it's a neat city because of it's history in the movie industry, and Hollywood in general seems interesting. But, I hear on the other hand that the traffic, pollution, and crime make it a place not worth visiting. What are you guys' thoughts?
Everyone has his/her idea about Los Angeles and you are going to hear all sides, on this thread, mostly the positive. As for the negatives: yes, the traffic is as bad as you hear and maybe worse. The crime and smog, not really different from any other metro.

The movie industry is interesting: I can understand why you would want to visit. The beaches? Well, that is a matter of opinion. Yes, some of them are more impressive than the east coast ocean, but some are just a lot of water and the east coast water is much warmer. So, don't get the idea the Los Angeles area has beaches that will take your breath away: further north, toward SLO yes, and Laguana, but otherwise they are just water and sand.

As for views, some of the best views in the country can be found in So. California. As you can see, it is a mixture and I would recommend you take time to visit, but give yourself enough time to see Los Angeles, San Diego and then go up the coast. If I were making a list of places to visit, So California would be on my list, but probably not at the very top.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:09 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,237,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
I think this is one of the most overrated cons that people say. Yes, the water is cold compared to Florida, but if you get in the water for more than 10 minutes your body adjust to the temperature. How people say you need a wet suit is beyond me. Getting in the water during Fall & Winter might be a different story, but spring and summer come and I'm tryna a have some fun in the water.
It is that first 10 minutes; Of course you do not need a wet suit most of the time: no one really believes that, but it is cold and the Atlantic is much more temp friendly for most of us. You find this out when you have a chance to live or visit both coasts.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:03 AM

156 posts, read 271,335 times
Just my two cents: I've been swimming in the Baltic Sea my whole life (as every single person from every nation around that area) and always found it to be pretty warm and awesome (obviously it's colder in the first few minutes, but what sea/ocean isn't?) I can now see that Pacific is even slightly warmer than the Baltic, so I'd join the group of those saying it's definitely no big deal I'm now wondering how cold is it in winter

Old 11-02-2013, 11:43 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,217,890 times
The shopping and the restaurants are also outstanding.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:32 PM

2,322 posts, read 3,006,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It is that first 10 minutes; Of course you do not need a wet suit most of the time: no one really believes that, but it is cold and the Atlantic is much more temp friendly for most of us. You find this out when you have a chance to live or visit both coasts.
You don't need a wet-suit any of the time. Plus, I lived on the east coast for 5 years before I moved back to LA. I would go to Florida(Miami) at least 2 times a year while I lived over there so I know what east coast water temps are. How are our beaches just water and sand? Santa Monica, Venice, Malibu, Manhattan, marina del Rey are all different. Have you been to all of LA's beaches? Lastly, I love Los Angeles but am not blind to it's problems at all. The problems just get exaggerated to the point of shallowness.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:09 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,502,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
I have a list of places that I would like to visit in the U.S. and LA happens to be at the top of that list. I want to go because the beaches seem to amazing and I would love to explore the city and the surrounding mountains as well (I've heard the views from Mullholland are amazing). I also think it's a neat city because of it's history in the movie industry, and Hollywood in general seems interesting. But, I hear on the other hand that the traffic, pollution, and crime make it a place not worth visiting. What are you guys' thoughts?
Do it. It's a GREAT place to visit. We have spent the last 3 summers there and still have stuff we haven't done.
Take time to do your research and planning and you will have a wonderful visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles