Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 02:00 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times

Advertisements

Just a few blocks. Count them. It's walking distance.

Del Rey just doesn't have much going on. There's a few things on Washington Blvd in Culver West but that's it.

Unless you count Dear John's as happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 02:54 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,013,939 times
There's not much difference between Venice and south Santa Monica. I'd stay away from Washington Blvd in Venice if you're concerned about safety. I wouldn't call it unsafe but there are a lot of homeless drug addicts that hang out in the area around Costco. I can tell you that $1600 mo. will get a studio or tiny 1BR apartment in either area. As others have mentioned I'd look at West LA, Mar Vista or Palms on that budget.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:27 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Just a few blocks. Count them. It's walking distance.

Del Rey just doesn't have much going on. There's a few things on Washington Blvd in Culver West but that's it.

Unless you count Dear John's as happening.
Not going to argue about this because you're wrong.

Disagree about Del Rey. There is more going on than you give it credit for. You just chose to dislike the area.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:46 PM

601 posts, read 755,654 times
Hmm...I'm a bit surprised by the responses. I mean, we have already seen a few places in those areas in or close to the price range I stated (Not including utilities, of course.) I mean, they weren't huge or brand new, but they definitely weren't half bad either. It didn't seem entirely unreasonable...? I mean, I wasn't expecting to find beach views either - just maybe a mile or two out would be nice.

I suppose that I should have better specified - I was asking about the pros and cons of those two areas specifically, not really looking for recommendations elsewhere. (We already live in Palms, and really dislike it!) Further down the coast is lovely, but not a good option for us because it will make my commute longer.

And IMHO I really don't care for Marina/Playa because I find those areas to be less walkable...at least in my experience.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:20 PM

Whatever affordable place you find in Venice will be old and you will see your share of ghetto by the general transient nature of the area. However, the neighborhood is much safer than it was in the past and the area is very walkable.

What part of SM? The walkable parts of SM are fairly pricey IMO. The more affordable parts are near various amenities but not as exciting and walkable as Venice.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
Not going to argue about this because you're wrong.

Disagree about Del Rey. There is more going on than you give it credit for. You just chose to dislike the area.
I'm not wrong.

What's going on in Del Rey? It's near some happening areas, but Del Rey itself is very residential, small family homes.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:35 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,798,610 times
How close to the water do you want to be, the value starts east of Lincoln. Then gets cheaper as you cross into Mar Vista even though there is no difference. Unless you plan to walk everywhere which practically no one does in LA, you could rent in culver city , mar vista , and palms as mentioned earlier. Where do you work. Also you get much more value moving south. Although it would be too far for your work, an ocean view apartment in Redondo beach is $1700, what does that cost in Venice and Santa Monica? You might want to buy your own appliance , nice used ones are cheap and you can always have your nice appliances when you move. I think the parking in Venice has gotten out of control. Too many people trying to squeeze in there.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
I'm not wrong.

What's going on in Del Rey? It's near some happening areas, but Del Rey itself is very residential, small family homes.
You are wrong, it doesn't border DTCC.

Plenty. There is lots more going on along Centinela. Depending on the part of Del Rey you live in you are a block or two walk to very walkable Culver West or Marina Del Rey. They Del Rey "dull zone" is near the projects, but even then you are near the bike path and can get to most places quickly without a car.

Keep hating on the area if you wish.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:14 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,084 times
Quote:

Plenty. There is lots more going on along Centinela. Depending on the part of Del Rey you live in you are a block or two walk to very walkable Culver West or Marina Del Rey. They Del Rey "dull zone" is near the projects, but even then you are near the bike path and can get to most places quickly without a car.

Is Del Rey where Tacomiendo is? and the police department?

Old 11-04-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:

There's some sleepy businesses on Centinela.

I don't hate on Del Rey but there are better options, like West LA.

Del Rey is good if you want quiet and a bit of isolation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles