U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2007, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 17,913 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into moving to Van Nuys. I work in Beverly Hills, and have to arrive to work around 9:15am. Any word on how long this would take in the morning? Any shortcuts available? Any possibility to avoid the 405s by taking surface streets?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 01:08 PM

705 posts, read 3,198,047 times
I'm sure there are streets you could take to avoid the 405 but I really don't know which ones. You might want to try Sepulveda Blvd but I'm not sure. If you have to be there at work at 9:15, you should leave your house around 7:30am and it really shouldnt take you any more than an hour to get off the 405 in Westwood. I would get off Wilshire and take it all the way to Beverly Hills. Without traffic the commute takes less than 20 mins.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:17 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,493,929 times
405-S
Sepulveda Pass
Beverly Glen
Coldwater Cyn

I'd leave no later than 7:45

Old 11-21-2007, 03:44 PM

96 posts, read 395,892 times
If you can possibly live south of Ventura Blvd in Van Nuys then you can join the Beverly Glen bumper-to-bumper crawl over the hill to Sunset. There are a lot of apartments along Dickens (one block south of Ventura Blvd) if you are still looking.

Beverly Glen picks up once all the feeder roads have merged just south of the traffic light at Beverly Glen/Valley Vista intersection, when it funnels down to one stream of cars going over the hill. But before the merge happens, you have all these cars trying to cross Ventura Blvd to go south on Van Nuys Blvd. or Beverly Glen; they also feed in from Valley Vista and all the side streets like Dickens and Greenleaf.

The closer you are to that Beverly Glen/Valley Vista intersection the sooner you'll get to join the single stream of cars. Hope that makes sense.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:26 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,319,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowni View Post
I'm looking into moving to Van Nuys. I work in Beverly Hills, and have to arrive to work around 9:15am. Any word on how long this would take in the morning? Any shortcuts available? Any possibility to avoid the 405s by taking surface streets?
I would suggest you look in and around beverly hills for an apartment rather than the valley. The time and expenses you would save may offset the savings in housing.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:51 PM

17,443 posts, read 26,996,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMac View Post
If you can possibly live south of Ventura Blvd in Van Nuys then you can join the Beverly Glen bumper-to-bumper crawl over the hill to Sunset. There are a lot of apartments along Dickens (one block south of Ventura Blvd) if you are still looking.

Beverly Glen picks up once all the feeder roads have merged just south of the traffic light at Beverly Glen/Valley Vista intersection, when it funnels down to one stream of cars going over the hill. But before the merge happens, you have all these cars trying to cross Ventura Blvd to go south on Van Nuys Blvd. or Beverly Glen; they also feed in from Valley Vista and all the side streets like Dickens and Greenleaf.

The closer you are to that Beverly Glen/Valley Vista intersection the sooner you'll get to join the single stream of cars. Hope that makes sense.
Coldwater is better than Beverly Glen, that's my usual route into and out of the Valley

Old 11-24-2007, 01:44 AM

636 posts, read 2,553,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
405-S
Sepulveda Pass
Beverly Glen
Coldwater Cyn

I'd leave no later than 7:45
Yep. Those are the only choices to avoid the 405. Beverly Glen begins where Van Nuys Boulevard ends crossing Ventura Boulevard. It can take as long at 20 minutes to travel about 1 mile because so many cars are squeezing off of side roads onto Beverly Glen. Good news - most days there is a traffic cop managing the mayhem.

Sepulveda crowds up North of Magnolia, near the Galleria. Sometime you get lucky and it takes a few lights to get thru the Ventura Boulevard intersection. Sometimes you aren't so lucky.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:45 AM

636 posts, read 2,553,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
I would suggest you look in and around beverly hills for an apartment rather than the valley. The time and expenses you would save may offset the savings in housing.
You think so?

Old 11-24-2007, 08:30 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,319,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALady View Post
You think so?
yes, I do.

If he's working in beverly hills, apartments east of beverly hills, south, and west can offer either a slightly more expensive unit or smaller unit for the
same cost as living in the nicer parts of the valley. Especially when you
compare valley areas right off of, or south of ventura blvd.

I was stunned a few years ago at the small difference between rental units in these areas compared to west la.

Unless the op is looking to move further north into van nuys territory or NO. Hlywd. the difference isnt that much. In VN & NHlywd units can be found for under $1,000. But, he will deal with an over the hill commute twice a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles