U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2013, 10:56 AM

150 posts, read 259,728 times

Advertisements

So I am used to living in Irvine and wondering if there are some nice parks up near Sherman Oaks that are not always crowded, yet are scenic and make for good walking/hiking. The only experience I had so far was one closer to Pasadena called Eaton Canyon, and it was dangerous and had a good deal of litter. As I look on the maps the population density of Irvine and Sherman Oaks are similar, so wondering if it will be similar with regard to parks.

I know there is a lot more to do off of Ventura Blvd for which there is no Irvine equivalent.

Sherman Oaks appears to be safe. Maybe not as safe as Irvine, but probably not far from it. Am I right?

How does going into LA from the North side compare to coming in from the South side? Big difference?

Temperature wise I am assuming Sherman Oaks is a little hotter in the Summer. Any other big differences?

Rent wise it seems Sherman Oaks is cheaper, but the building are older. They seem to be well kept overall with nice interiors though. Is that a pretty good characterization?

Thanks in advance to anyone that knows the answers or can give their opinions. It's a long drive to go try to get a feel for all this myself!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 11:06 AM

1,420 posts, read 2,967,256 times
Where in la? Sherman oaks is la.
Irvine is cooler newer more planned less dense and more homogenous than so.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:27 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,641,662 times
I've lived in Sherman Oaks for years. There are plenty of hiking trails in the mountains south of Sherman Oaks, Encino, Tarzana, etc.

Getting to "LA" (either downtown or the west side) is horrible in the mornings. I would not live in Sherman Oaks if I worked in either places.

It's pretty safe but as you go farther north towards Van Nuys it gets seedy. Try to live south of Burbank Blvd if you can.

There are also plenty of newer apartments in the area.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:48 PM

195 posts, read 323,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
Where in la? Sherman oaks is la.
Irvine is cooler newer more planned less dense and more homogenous than so.
I'm guessing you lived there or been there a lot because you're right on point. Its like no one who's been or hasn't stayed long enough in southern California has ever heard of Irvine.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:43 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,308,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54h4j645jj35 View Post
Its like no one who's been or hasn't stayed long enough in southern California has ever heard of Irvine.
What does this even mean?

Old 11-09-2013, 09:55 PM

223 posts, read 489,229 times
I went to UCI and LA is different. There are plenty of places to hike around LA. Not sure why specifically Sherman Oaks. But you have Malibu close by. The Hollywood Sign hike is somewhat close. Angeles Crest is not very far. There are plenty of options within a very reasonable drive to do differing degrees of hikes. Mt. Baldy for instance.

Eaton Canyon is not a very good example of the many trails around LA. Its just really simple to park and walk, and is not strenuous like the Hollywood Sign hike.

As a bonus you could go from Staples Center to Chinatown and do an urban hike right in the middle of DTLA.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:24 PM

195 posts, read 323,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
What does this even mean?
If you haven't been to or lived in socal long enough you probably never heard of that city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>