Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 11:50 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
The U.S. Census Bureau counts all Caucasians as White, so they include all Middle Easterners as White. That's just the way they do things...I don't think they have too many anthropologists working for them.
They also counts Mexicans as white. So you can look at statistics and see that an area is 90% white and be misled unless you look deeper into the numbers and see that "non-Hispanic" white is 12%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 06:56 PM

2 posts, read 5,255 times
This 'Who's white' discussion is interesting? I am not from California. What is Hispanic? Where I come from Latino Americans are Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Cubans etc. people from Mexico, Spain, Puerto Rico, Cuba, etc. Is the name for all of these groups in LA. And we define Arab-Americans as non-white. I though the west was so advanced socially.....But I guess not. People still trying to make sure they live with the right group and not trying to make all groups right. Wow.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:55 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Allright, here you go....
These percentages(white only) are based on the elementary school aged children to give a more accurate picture and forecast for said communities in the Southland.
Wrightwood 89%
Laguna Beach 85%
Newport Beach 85%
Malibu 82%
Silverado 81%
Calabasas 80%

Great example of why the average reader should be sceptical of "statistics." Several premises behind this list of numbers are suspect (as a few other posters have already pointed out)!

Old 05-24-2008, 10:11 PM

35 posts, read 136,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by one4children View Post
This 'Who's white' discussion is interesting? I am not from California. What is Hispanic? Where I come from Latino Americans are Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Cubans etc. people from Mexico, Spain, Puerto Rico, Cuba, etc. Is the name for all of these groups in LA. And we define Arab-Americans as non-white. I though the west was so advanced socially.....But I guess not. People still trying to make sure they live with the right group and not trying to make all groups right. Wow.

What are you doing to "make all groups right"?

Last edited by Sierra56; 05-24-2008 at 10:34 PM..

Old 05-24-2008, 11:26 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by one4children View Post
You are living with the right group if you are living with humans.

Hispanics and Arab-Americans (and Arabs) are all white unless they are negros or Asian.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:22 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post

Hispanics and Arab-Americans (and Arabs) are all white unless they are negros or Asian.
Are native Egyptians nationalized to American considered African Americans?

What if Zola Budd nationalized to American, would she be an African American?

(image not protected by copyright)

Old 05-25-2008, 08:40 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post

Actually this is incorrect. Many Hispanics have indigenous ancestry(Indian) - the term Hispanic was created as a "catch all" for the people of Latin America because they are so very racially mixed with Indian, African and European ancestry which can not always be distinguished by their looks.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:45 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Are native Egyptians nationalized to American considered African Americans?

What if Zola Budd nationalized to American, would she be an African American?
It depends on the Egyptian how they chose to categprize themselves. I know some Egyptians who consider themselves African because Egypt is in Africa and I also know other Egyptians who consider themselves not Caucasian but simply Arab. They think that the classification as "white" is ridiculous.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:16 AM

7 posts, read 22,769 times
Wow, this IS really interesting! I think the better question would be safe neighborhoods, quality of schools, safety and class of neighborhoods, versus those that are mostly white. Last time I checked, trailer parks were mostly white. Is that the kind of neighborhood you're looking for? People claim we've come along way in this country, in many ways we have, but this discussion truly shows the the true thinking of so many Americans. Quite amazing!

Old 06-04-2008, 10:51 PM

23 posts, read 103,784 times
Default hg clyde reply to white?

This reply is a year late as a peruse varioous threads because I'm interested in LA. history. Any way great info about changes in race/area etc. Love it and believe it, Laquests
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles