Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 12:31 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Yes, all the CEOs and talent will live elsewhere. That will mirror NYC as an entertainment hub for personnel and their employ as opposed to residence and production facilities, but without the commuting convenience of trains back east. Don't pretend traffic congestion won't worsen: public transit here is too little too late.

The studios here own their land and facilities, so unless Calif. business taxation laws worsen, they'll stay put. Production people will live near studios, to avoid the surrounding third world chaos (in the sense that there will be a two-tiered system of population here in 2057, the well-to-do and the poor, the latter of whom as illegals will have little allegience to the U.S. and hence be more prone than ever to break its laws.)
For all the people who think LA will still exist in anything like its present form and not disappear due to global warming and earthquakes, but conditions will get much worse, what makes one think that there would still be an immigration problem if things are so bad? Presumably there will be SOMEWHERE else in the US that is more prosperous, and that place will get all the immigration. There's a reason why Pennsylvania, traditionally a state which attracted immigrants, now has about the same percentage of immigrants that Idaho or Montana do (and if not for the Philly metro area, half of which is in NJ not PA, PA would have the lowest percentage of immigrants in the US).

Unless one is talking about the US as a whole meeting an economic trainwreck which is very possible, and in which case the US will be sending immigrants to other countries rather than recieving them. Maybe then Canadians will be bitching about "American illegals" and describing Americans in the same terms people describe Mexicans on these boards.

Re: production people living near studios, that presupposes an interesting switch from how LA is now - East Hollywood and North Hollywood as desirable neighborhoods and Pacific Palisades and the South Bay as undesirable neighborhoods? At least that's a good scenario for Burbank and Culver City, though.

I personally don't think that there will be much of an "L.A." left in 2057 - a flooded basin under the Pacific filled with underwater ruins like Alexandria, Egypt, and perhaps an island consisting of the Santa Monica Mountains, with the Inland Empire as beachfront property....

One caveat here: as I stated before, not that many people in the late 1970s accurately predicted LA in the late 2000s. And NOBODY in the late 1950s accurately predicted LA (or the US) in the late 2000s. Futurists like Herman Kahn in the early 60s predicted that the Lake Erie area would continue to be prosperous 40-50 years later and that Arizona would be nearly abandoned. Not exactly how things turned out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 02:42 PM

236 posts, read 1,141,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
And this, my friends, is why you should use birth control.
I couldn't disagree more!!! Artificial birth control is a horrible answer to overpopulation. First of all, we are not "overpopulated." The total fertility rate in the United States estimated for 2007 is 2.09, so this means any lower than "2" and we are at below replacement level, as many other industrialized nations are on account of things like widespread use of artificial contraception and abortion on demand. The reason why the population is increasing in the U.S. (particularly in CA) has little to do with birth rates and much to do with immigration. People can hardly afford to have large families anymore in this state anyway. And if people must limit the number of children they have, abstinence before marriage and use of Natural Family Planning within marriage is a much more ethical and effective means of doing so!

Old 12-03-2007, 03:08 PM

129 posts, read 663,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
[color="Red"]And if people must limit the number of children they have, abstinence before marriage and use of Natural Family Planning within marriage is a much more ethical and effective means of doing so!

In your opinion maybe.

The world is currently over 6 billion human beings strong. It can only sustainably support 4 billion.

What happens when there's not enough resources (water/food/energy/oil) to go around?

Old 12-03-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monti View Post
In your opinion maybe.

The world is currently over 6 billion human beings strong. It can only sustainably support 4 billion.

What happens when there's not enough resources (water/food/energy/oil) to go around?
My opinion yes, also the opinion of the Catholic Church which is about 1,000,000,000 believers worldwide and growing. (Granted, an unfortunately large number of American Catholics are blind to the beauty of this particular teaching.)

Also, overpopulation is a fake crisis just like global warming. There is more than enough food to feed the global population. The leftovers from Cheesecake Factory dinners in this country alone on a given weekend could probably feed a small nation. The food and resources are just not distributed in a way that everyone has enough. World poverty is hardly an issue of population control, but rather one of sharing and solidarity with our fellow human beings. We in California are particularly blessed with an abundant crop of more food than even we Californians could probably eat.

Don't buy into the lie that there are too many people in the world! Like Mother Teresa said, "How can there be too many children? That is like saying there are too many flowers." There are plenty of wide open spaces in this great state of California to accomodate more people.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:21 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
My opinion yes, also the opinion of the Catholic Church .

"Be Fruitful and Multiply""
"But Father, I am not a rich man. I already have six kids. I only make $8/hr."
"Be Fruitful my son, the government and society will take care of you..."

Old 12-03-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
"Be Fruitful and Multiply""
"But Father, I am not a rich man. I already have six kids. I only make $8/hr."
"Be Fruitful my son, the government and society will take care of you..."
No no no... This is getting off the subject. But to respond in brief: The Church teaches responsible parenthood. If husband and wife have serious reasons why they do not wish to conceive, then NFP (natural family planning) is the responsible and respectful means by which they may postpone or prevent a pregnancy. And although we should love and look after our neighbors, it's not up to the government to look after people and help them make up for their irresponsibility.

People in our city could certainly stand to be more charitable and compassionate toward one another, but the "I didn't do it" mentality or the lack of personal responsibility is really getting ridiculous. If this type of thing continues, God only knows where we'll be in 2057!

Old 12-04-2007, 02:04 PM

So, it seems like half of the people who have posted believe that L.A. will be underwater in 50 years. Does this reflect the general population here?? Or are most of the readers of this thread people with some common sense who have just decided to stay silent? Where aside from the news media and Al Gore is everyone getting these ideas?

I personally think we have more of a chance of a great earthquake leveling much of the city than of the ocean becoming neighbor to the IE.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:16 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
I seriously don't think LA has to worry too much about being underwater. Al Gore says sea levels will rise 20 ft. Most of LA is above 20 ft. Really the only area affected would be MDR. I think florida should be more concerned. I bet there is no city in the whole state with elevation around 20 ft.

Yes, if anything, an earthquake will devastate us, not global warming. Plus, there are enough eco-friendly things going on that in case this is real, we may lower our impact on the environment and keep LA from becoming Atlantis. And 50 years for LA to be underwater? That's B.S. Way more than 50 years.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:10 PM

38 posts, read 148,115 times
The only thing that will be underwater is Al Gore and the enviro whacko theories he is making millions telling all of us.The weather watchers cannot predict disasters.Look how often they are wrong about the weekend weather do you really think they know what will happen in 2058? Global Warming is nonsense people the guy who founded the weather channel says so as well as a huge group of scientists you are not being told about.The enviro idiots have a political agenda and the earth is a way of uniting green voters to put themselves in power.Just like the communists used the line that they were the party of the workers.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:57 PM

56 posts, read 178,452 times
I don't plan on living in LA when I'm 67
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles