Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2013, 08:36 PM

167 posts, read 553,436 times

Advertisements

I know there has been discussion related to this topic on the forum before, but the last thing I could find was from July and not much was said -

I am considering an apartment on Av 52 between the Gold Line/Marmion and Monte Vista. I know the reputation and the gangs, but how is it today? I.E. is it safe for a 30-something female to walk around there at night - to walk the dog, go to the stores for errands/take-out, etc. I hate driving anywhere I don't have to. I don't care about gangs as long as they don't bother me. I've walked around the neighborhood a few times during the day and at night, but nothing super late. I felt safe even though I was bothered a bit by a few homeless on Figueroa (but that is most places in LA).

I know the other side of York is better, but I haven't been able to find anything there and time is running out before I have to move.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 11:21 PM

1,043 posts, read 899,582 times
I spend a lot of time in Highland Park and you're right, York Blvd is a safer and a better place to live in the neighborhood. All of Highland Park is a little dicey at times compared to other parts of the city. I'm sure there are lots of young women who walk around at night and have no problems but I would be a little concerned if you were my friend or sister tbh.
I think it boils down to your confidence and street smarts. It's not a bad place to be; as long as you know what you're in for.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:35 AM

671 posts, read 1,190,621 times
keep in mind gang members are resposible for break-ins to your car or home, etc. so even if a gang has no "beef" with you personally, they make your lives miserable in other ways.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:41 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,403 times
I live in HP and know the area you are looking at well - I strongly suggest you look elsewhere. There are apartments on York east of Avenue 56 or so you might want to check out if you haven't already. That area is nicer and within easy walking distance to the "scene" between Avenue 52 and Avenue 50. I live just off Avenue 52 a few blocks south of York and the area has changed a lot in 15 years, not so where you are looking. Police are called there fairly often and just troublesome in general.
Sorry to be such a downer and hopefully you keep looking around HP as it really is great place!
Another thought - there are some apartments just south of Figueroa right around Avenue 50 that you may want to check out too. They are very close to the Gold Line station and that area isn't bad at all, just a little close to the Freeway.

Last edited by Social Democrat; 11-20-2013 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: added another suggestion.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:13 PM

167 posts, read 553,436 times
Thanks got the feedback so far. Interesting that the responses so far are nay, and the responses I got from friends/acquaintances they live in that area say "yes." I will find out this evening if my app is accepted.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:44 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
I use to live on Benner between Via Marisol and Ave 60. It is a hidden gem condo complex, gated 150 units, pool, hot tub, but a there is a 30 lb weight limit on dogs. I had friends walk and commute with the gold line daily and she never felt troubled by the hype.

You don't have to be a gang member to break into a house or car. Break-ins happen everywhere. If they didn't people wouldn't have home security alarms.

It is up a hidden driveway on the 5800 block of Benner if you drive by you might see a for rent sign, but many people put it on Craigslist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles