Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 01:45 PM

156 posts, read 270,083 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

What's the policy on tipping in Los Angeles? As I've mentioned previously, I'm coming from Europe. We do tip, but not as much as people in US, I believe. It's just not common.

I also want to ask your personal opinion, what about people who are on a low budget? Students or artists, who can barely afford to pay for the food or that taxi cab. Will they be murdered if they don't tip?

I personally worked as a waiter, bartender and various server jobs in the past. I have never looked down upon people who didn't tip me, because you don't know what their situation might be; somehow it never bothered me. But I get the impression that in the States, you either tip or you're just an a-hole. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 02:26 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,089 times
Here in the US, dine-in restaurants pay their wait staff a lower wage because they receive tips. The tip is part of your pay, it is not "in addtion" to your pay.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:38 PM

1,043 posts, read 899,492 times
Yes ppl. tip here. I've never not tipped a server.
I find LA actually tips well (ie. high) compared to other places; 20% of the final bill; but 10% at least if you're on a tight budget.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:51 PM

156 posts, read 270,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
Here in the US, dine-in restaurants pay their wait staff a lower wage because they receive tips. The tip is part of your pay, it is not "in addtion" to your pay.
It's fine then. I'm a guest in this state so I'll live by the rules. I'm just still trying to understand what the rules actually are, and obviously battle the things that my mind (being from a different culture) labels as illogical.

You said it was "part of the pay", but if I do not tip, technically there's nothing they can do, because it's not what I am billed for? Because in reality it's still A TIP, not a PAYMENT. Whereas if I don't pay for what I ate, that's a different case. So it's not really "part of the pay", it's just a common thing that everybody is accustomed to; it's about being, what, polite and generous?

I understand tipping in restaurants and similar eateries, but where else do Los Angeles residents tip? Do you tip, for example, after getting a Subway sandwich? Do you tip a barber? It's a little confusing who deserves a tip, and who doesn't.

Thanks for being patient with a stupid European!

Old 11-21-2013, 02:54 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusOCR View Post
It's fine then. I'm a guest in this state so I'll live by the rules. I'm just still trying to understand what the rules actually are, and obviously battle the things that my mind (being from a different culture) labels as illogical.

So if it's part of the pay, but I do not tip, technically there's nothing they can do, because it's not what I am billed for? Because in reality it's still A TIP, not a PAYMENT. Whereas if I don't pay for what I ate, that's a different case.

I understand tipping in restaurants and similar eateries, but where else do Los Angeles residents tip? Do you tip, for example, after getting a Subway sandwich? Do you tip a barber? It's a little confusing who deserves a tip, and who doesn't.

Of course you aren't required to tip, but it's expected that you do so. Here in America we only tip when we are receiving actual service. For example, you would only tip when you are eating at a restaurant and have an actual server. Buying something like a sandwich from a deli, we do not tip for that.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:58 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
Well you have to tip here or don't bother going there twice. You may be confronted on the spot.

Service industry people in LA are very entitled in their attitudes. Unlike other states, everyone makes minimum wage $8 an hour (so waiters and bartenders arent paid like 50 cents an hour and depend 100% on their tips). Don't bother arguing that they make NOTHING like in other states without tips. They are making at least as much as your friendly micky dees cashier, or dishwasher.

You would think 15% on a restaurant bill or $1 on a drink at a bar is enough... but what I see is entitlement entitlement. 15% doesn't cut it. They prefer 25-35% to make it worth their time. $3-5 a drink is also what they expect.

Then the subways, the take out fast casual places, they expect tips too if you want decent service. $1-3 usually per $10-15.

Haircut, yep, they want 20% tip.If you want them to crack a smile, try a 50% tip.

Cab drivers? They want 50-100% tip. That's why I user Uber and lyft now where tip is calculated.

Of course I tend to hang out in the westside, but the service people in the westside are very bitter, angry, tip hungry, and ungrateful. Maybe because they assume their customers are rich, and indeed I see a lot of soccer moms with amex platinums and blacks leaving a $10 tip on a $12 sandwich...

Take a trip to Montana Avenue or downtown Brentwood to get the worst greedy attitudes from service industry people... followed by any aspiring Okie actor/esses in West Hollywood or gentrified Hollywood

Old 11-21-2013, 03:01 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,889 times
those numbers seem high...

Old 11-21-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusOCR View Post

You said it was "part of the pay", but if I do not tip, technically there's nothing they can do, because it's not what I am billed for? Because in reality it's still A TIP, not a PAYMENT. Whereas if I don't pay for what I ate, that's a different case. So it's not really "part of the pay", it's just a common thing that everybody is accustomed to; it's about being, what, polite and generous?

It's not about being generous. I wish it was! In some states, a waiter can make as little as $2.50 per hour. I think in LA, it's $8 per hour, which is the state minimum wage. In LA, that is not really a living wage.

We tip for service here - so barbers, manicurists, dine-in wait staff, valets, car wash attendants get tipped.
We don't tip for fast food unless you have the food delivered to your door (service).

Old 11-21-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Well you have to tip here or don't bother going there twice. You may be confronted on the spot.

Service industry people in LA are very entitled in their attitudes. Unlike other states, everyone makes minimum wage $8 an hour (so waiters and bartenders arent paid like 50 cents an hour and depend 100% on their tips). Don't bother arguing that they make NOTHING like in other states without tips. They are making at least as much as your friendly micky dees cashier, or dishwasher.

You would think 15% on a restaurant bill or $1 on a drink at a bar is enough... but what I see is entitlement entitlement. 15% doesn't cut it. They prefer 25-35% to make it worth their time. $3-5 a drink is also what they expect.

Then the subways, the take out fast casual places, they expect tips too if you want decent service. $1-3 usually per $10-15.

Haircut, yep, they want 20% tip.If you want them to crack a smile, try a 50% tip.

Cab drivers? They want 50-100% tip. That's why I user Uber and lyft now where tip is calculated.

Of course I tend to hang out in the westside, but the service people in the westside are very bitter, angry, tip hungry, and ungrateful. Maybe because they assume their customers are rich, and indeed I see a lot of soccer moms with amex platinums and blacks leaving a $10 tip on a $12 sandwich...

Take a trip to Montana Avenue or downtown Brentwood to get the worst greedy attitudes from service industry people... followed by any aspiring Okie actor/esses in West Hollywood or gentrified Hollywood

Bitter much? lol.

I don't work in the service industry, but I'm glad I'm not so bitter about it.

I'm not a soccer mom with Amex Black either. Just a gal that lives in the hood. Maybe *that's* why I live in the hood though, so I can afford to pay out tips.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:21 PM

1,043 posts, read 899,492 times
Yes, hairdressers should be tipped but again like 20% if you don't normally go there.
I give $1-2/drink at the bar and still get good service.
$5 tip for a cab ride (assuming its not crazy long) is about as high as I go because they are sort of jerks and don't really give good service - I also use Lyft because the ppl. are more pleasant and its more affordable.
Never tip for fast food or subway or anything. Seriously if you're eating somewhere and there is a person serving you at least leave 10%. They'll still think you're cheap but at least not an a**hole
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles