Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 12:37 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,543,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pears View Post
This is what I'm afraid of. I keep on hearing that Newhall and Canyon Country are getting more and more unsafe. It seems like the good people are moving out of those areas before it goes completely bad. Do you think the same thing will happen to the other parts of SC as well?

I am just hearing that the quality of life is continually going down.
No, I don't. And I think people are blowing things out of proportion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 12:57 AM

7 posts, read 32,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
No, I don't. And I think people are blowing things out of proportion.
I agree, what the OP has heard has been blown out of proportion.

I would also ask what the OP's family friends' needs were. Where will their jobs be? What do they value? What do they want to be close to? What is their budget? Buy or rent?

kttam's post describing the areas is spot-on. I would add that Saugus is the least convenient to a freeway.

I chose to live in Canyon Country when I moved to the area 2 years ago, despite recommendations to live in Stevenson Ranch or Valencia. The east end of town is more convenient to my husband's work than the west end of town. We are in an older but well-kept neighborhood, and while the houses are still closer to eachother than back East-- we have more space between our house and our neighbors than you'd find in newer developments. Our yard is larger than average for Santa Clarita and I like that our neighborhood doesn't have a HOA. Quiet neighborhood, no neighbor drama. Minutes from the 14. Housing costs are cheaper here than in Valencia or SR. The two elementary schools closest to me are rated the same as most of Valencia/Saugus/SR schools. While SCV is filled with chains, I like that CC has more independent restaurants and that the strip malls (which are present throughout the entire valley) don't all look similar. The bike path extends across town, so I can still hop on not too far from my house and run/bike over 20 miles with minimal traffic crossings.

Go to a site like: Crime Mapping - Building Safer Communities! and see that there is crime everywhere. I feel very safe in my neighborhood and I am comfortable walking my dog alone at midnight.

There are parts of Newhall I would consider living in too.

I have several friends in Valencia and SR - they're great if you work off of the 5, want a gated community with a cookie cutter feel, want to be closer to some of the big box stores along the Old Rd, want to be close to the mall- which is the closest thing SCV has to a "downtown," etc.

Again, it depends on what your family friends are looking for.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,827 times
If I remain in California, I couldn't be happier than living in the Hasley Hills section of Castaic. I do not commute into L.A. and I'm not a "mall person", so the trips to Valencia Town Center are minimal at best. However, Wal Mart (Cleanest in the SCV), Home Depot, Smart/Final, etc. are only 3-4 miles from my front door. Everyone at the local shops know me, schools are decent and the neighbors that want to be friendly are. I feel very safe in my neighborhood and the prison is not even a factor in our daily lives. I'm 3 minutes from the 5 freeway yet I am not subject to an unbearable noise or view. The truck stop of Castaic proper is only visible if I venture north into town, but the people are down to earth and friendly. No Stepford Wives mentality like Stevenson Ranch. We're one of the few black families in the neighborhood and it's been a great experience; many friends/neighbors of white, Asian and Hispanic. I think that many of the comments on this thread are accurate, however Castaic is the red-headed step child.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,387 times
I'm from Santa Clarita and What guitarstring said is all true. I was actually right at that intersection while the police shot that man with the spear. He stabbed two people and killed one before they shot him.
Santa Clarita is very overrated.
Canyon Country is the worst part of SCV. Every Friday night you hear helicopters and sirens all night long. It's gotten way worse in the last few years. Shooting, drugs, homeless people, gangs etc. same with newhall.
Valencia and Saugus.. Those areas LOOK nice. You don't have to fear for your life in those areas but everyone there does drugs. If you're going to move to Santa Clarita move to Valencia.. I don't feel safe in canyon country or newhall.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:37 AM

96 posts, read 170,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truther123 View Post
I'm from Santa Clarita and What guitarstring said is all true. I was actually right at that intersection while the police shot that man with the spear. He stabbed two people and killed one before they shot him.
Santa Clarita is very overrated.
Canyon Country is the worst part of SCV. Every Friday night you hear helicopters and sirens all night long. It's gotten way worse in the last few years. Shooting, drugs, homeless people, gangs etc. same with newhall.
Valencia and Saugus.. Those areas LOOK nice. You don't have to fear for your life in those areas but everyone there does drugs. If you're going to move to Santa Clarita move to Valencia.. I don't feel safe in canyon country or newhall.
Everyone in Valencia and Saugus does drugs? Really? I don't know where you're hanging out but that is pure ignorance.

There are only 3 things anyone could possibly complain about when it comes to Valencia, Stevenson Ranch, or even Saugus for that matter:

1. It's "too nice" or "boring", meaning that there aren't night clubs, tourists, and homeless people like the "hip" areas of LA.

2. It's too far away from LA, especially if you have to commute daily.

3. Cookie-cutter houses and bland suburban architecture.

If none of those things apply to you, there are not many places better to live than Valencia/SCV, especially if you have a family.

I've always found Canyon Country and Newhall to be perfectly fine too, albeit a little more run-down looking. I suppose if you really try you could venture into some bad neighborhoods at 2 am on a Friday night, but you'd REALLY have to be looking for trouble.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:18 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,992 times
I like the more rurally parts of SCV... just on the edges of its suburban cookie-cutter areas.

The cookie-cutter stuff is quite decent, if it floats your boat.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:17 PM

105 posts, read 306,232 times
For Newhall, I'd consider most of the neighborhoods west of Newhall Ave to be ok.

For Canyon Country, I'd avoid North Oaks lower housing tract and anything within a few blocks of the Sierra Hwy/ Soledad intersection.

It's a little more complicated, but if you drive around the areas or check out houses, you should be able to tell when you are in one of the not-so-good areas.

Valencia and Saugus are safe bets, but I wouldn't rule out Canyon Country or Newhall completely. They may have some shady areas, but they also have some very nice neighborhoods and also some older neighborhoods that have character (but are still pretty safe).

Old 09-14-2014, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,587 times
Check below crime map and you can decide by yourself,
Santa Clarita Crime - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

Old 09-14-2014, 02:50 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,196,988 times
Most of Santa Clarita/Newhall is pretty safe compared to most places in the valley.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:05 AM

4 posts, read 6,341 times
I've lived in the SCV all my life. Everywhere is safe, the only exception would be deep in Canyon Country of Jake's Way and behind the train station in Newhall. The biggest thing I'd worry about is the excessive cop presence out here, they are totally ruthless! Seems like it has gotten really bad the past few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles