Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,566 times

Advertisements

There is current data that shows no social benefit for racially diverse communities. In fact, crime rates increase in direct proportion to ethnic diversity. This widely promoted idea that more ethnic diversity produces better communities or universities is contrary to the historical data. A utopian society through more Diversity is a theory promoted by liberal academics with absolutely no evidence to support the theory. In fact no one can even define what diversity is, in the sense of what amount of diversity is ideal and what specific percentages necessary to achieve Diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 03:12 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesj91384 View Post
There is current data that shows no social benefit for racially diverse communities. In fact, crime rates increase in direct proportion to ethnic diversity. This widely promoted idea that more ethnic diversity produces better communities or universities is contrary to the historical data. A utopian society through more Diversity is a theory promoted by liberal academics with absolutely no evidence to support the theory. In fact no one can even define what diversity is, in the sense of what amount of diversity is ideal and what specific percentages necessary to achieve Diversity.
I would love to see this data. Why didn't you leave a link?

Glendale and Irvine are two cities that are more diverse than they were 20 years ago, yet crime has gone down.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:34 PM

587 posts, read 1,411,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
The Bay Area is pretty segregated IMO, East Bay has more diversity, but Oakland is more black, Fremont is more Asian, San Jose is more hispanic...
This is not true at all. Oakland has not been predominantly black since the 90's. Oakland easily is the most integrated and diverse city in America. Literally, Oakland is about 25% black, 25% white, 25% Latino, 16% Asian and the rest being "Other" or mixed race. It's almost a completely even distribution of all races in Oakland.

//www.city-data.com/city/Oakland-California.html

But most upper middle class suburban people in the Bay Area don't spend any real time in Oakland because they buy into the stereotypes that it is one huge slum, which is not true. Here is the demographic breakdown of many Oakland neighborhoods. It's far from being 102% black :

As you can see, Oakland is very diverse and integrated. And its not just residential integration, but it's social integration in these neighborhoods as well. In East Oakland, you have blocks where blacks, whites, Mexicans, Salvadorans, Brazilians, Chinese, Japanese, Mien, Cambodians, Vietnamese, Samoans, Tongans and all types of mixed race people in between etc. all live together and associate with one another. Many inner city areas in Oakland and the Bay Area are so integrated, that the culture there is exceptionally accepting and tolerant of all races:

The integration in Oakland and other Bay Area inner city areas is so profound that the unique culture of integration creates unusual people. For instance, about three years ago, break out white girl Oakland rappers Kreayshawn and V-Nasty shook up the pop culture world when they burst on the scene with their viral song "Gucci, Gucci" in 2011. However, Kreayshawn's rough around the edges convicted felon partner-in-rhyme V-Nasty stirred controversy in the mainstream blogosphere in being a rough little white girl born and raised in East Oakland spitting gangsta rhymes and dropping n-bombs left and right.

http://www.spin.com/articles/kreaysh...rl-mob-n-word/

Ironically, V-Nasty was no Vanilla Ice as her hard ghetto upbringing in Oakland was actually fact. Needless to say, Kreayshawn and V-Nasty never completely blew up into Rap superstars because mainstream America could never understand the mind-boggling integrated post-racial nature of the inner city streets of the Bay Area.

V-Nasty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-23-2014, 03:53 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
This is not true at all. Oakland has not been predominantly black since the 90's. Oakland easily is the most integrated and diverse city in America. Literally, Oakland is about 25% black, 25% white, 25% Latino, 16% Asian and the rest being "Other" or mixed race. It's almost a completely even distribution of all races in Oakland.

But most upper middle class suburban people in the Bay Area don't spend any real time in Oakland because they buy into the stereotypes that it is one huge slum, which is not true. Here is the demographic breakdown of many Oakland neighborhoods. It's far from being 102% black :

As you can see, Oakland is very diverse and integrated. And its not just residential integration, but it's social integration in these neighborhoods as well. In East Oakland, you have blocks where blacks, whites, Mexicans, Salvadorans, Brazilians, Chinese, Japanese, Mien, Cambodians, Vietnamese, Samoans, Tongans and all types of mixed race people in between etc. all live together and associate with one another. Many inner city areas in Oakland and the Bay Area are so integrated, that the culture there is exceptionally accepting and tolerant of all races:

The integration in Oakland and other Bay Area inner city areas is so profound that the unique culture of integration creates unusual people. For instance, about three years ago, break out white girl Oakland rappers Kreayshawn and V-Nasty shook up the pop culture world when they burst on the scene with their viral song "Gucci, Gucci" in 2011. However, Kreayshawn's rough around the edges convicted felon partner-in-rhyme V-Nasty stirred controversy in the mainstream blogosphere in being a rough little white girl born and raised in East Oakland spitting gangsta rhymes and dropping n-bombs left and right.

Kreayshawn's White Girl Mob & The N-Word | SPIN | Music News

Ironically, V-Nasty was no Vanilla Ice as her hard ghetto upbringing in Oakland was actually fact. Needless to say, Kreayshawn and V-Nasty never completely blew up into Rap superstars because mainstream America could never understand the mind-boggling integrated post-racial nature of the inner city streets of the Bay Area.

School em!

Old 12-23-2014, 05:35 PM

587 posts, read 1,411,052 times
Bay Area culture encourages integration more than most places. I'm from San Francisco. Now SF is segregated in the fact that you don't even see black people unless you go to the hood in Hunter's Point, the Fillmore, Lakeview or Potrero Hill. Most Latinos in SF live in the gentrifying barrio of the Mission district. Asians are concentrated in Chinatown, Japantown and the vast western Sunset district.

But this is where it gets interesting. SF and Bay Area natives, such as myself, tend to have grown up at the crossroads of all of these worlds. I am mixed. My mother is Chinese and my father was white. But I grew up in the predominantly black Lakeview district in southwestern San Francisco. Ironically, Lakeview was more integrated than anywhere else in SF growing up next door to whites, blacks, Latinos, Samoans, Asians, mixed race families such as my own etc. In the 80's and 90's, Lakeview was just as violent and crime ridden as any inner city area in America. Bullets used to come through my bedroom window and I watched early 90's d-boys sell crack from my living room window.

OCEAN VIEW / Neighborhood reclaims its mean streets - SFGate

But being Chinese on my mother's side, my siblings and I grew up going into Chinatown everyday. SF Chinatown is the largest Chinatown outside of Asia. It's as close as you're going to get to being in China in America. My grandparents also lived in the heavily Chinese Sunset district where English is the second language. But I also spent the weekends visiting my grandmother on my father's side in Sausalito in Marin County which is known as the whitest county in Bay Area. So there you have it, I'm an American mutt who grew up in the hood going to Chinatown everyday and visiting the whitest county in the Bay Area on the weekends. Only in the Bay Area.

By my experience in San Francisco was far from unique. Local SF Rap icon, Equipto, who is half Japanese/half Colombian had a similar experience growing up in SF being born and raised in the heavily Latino Mission district but relocating to the heavily black Lower Haight and Fillmore districts during high school and being openly accepted in both places. Equipto is one of the most respected rappers in the Bay Area's massive local underground Rap scene and he has collaborated with other highly respected SF rappers such as Andre Nickatina and San Quinn. A half Asian/half Latino rapper from Brooklyn doing full length collaborations with Jay-Z would never happen. I wonder why? Segregation and a culture of rampant racism in NYC maybe? Hmmm...

I never realized I was "different" than anybody else anywhere I went until I moved away from the Bay Area to the East Coast. In the Baltimore-Washington corridor, being a half white/half Asian kid who grew up in the ghetto amongst blacks but was still profoundly aware of his own cultural background makes no sense. Race, class and culture out here are much more concrete and easily distinguishable out here compared to the Bay and Northern California. The Bay Area, for me, was like a true melting pot whereas out here can be more like a frozen TV dinner where the black eyed peas don't touch the white rice and are separated by plastic compartments. I stick out like a sorethumb out here on the East Coast. But I am the living, breathing bi-product of Bay Area integration.

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 12-23-2014 at 05:51 PM..

Old 12-23-2014, 05:55 PM

64 posts, read 112,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellomiss View Post
I live in Los Angeles (specifically Burbank) and I find that it is racially segregated. I have a black friend who also lives in Burbank and she told me that she feels like an outsider because there are so many whites living there. She also told me that it was hard for her to make friends. Does anybody else agree that Los Angeles is a little racially segregated. For example, Asians primarily live in Chinatown or Monterey Park. Blacks tend to live in Baldwin Hills and Inglewood. Latinos tend to live in East Los Angeles. Whites tend to live Malibu, Westwood, or Bel Air. Although Los Angeles is diverse compared to some other states in the U.S., I don't find it to be overwhelmingly diverse or as diverse as NYC. I have never been near the Bay Area, but is it racially segregated like Los Angeles?
Really? Compared to Chicago, Los Angeles is as integrated as it gets. And tons of Latinos live on the west side. I think the segregation you see is largely in your own mind.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:17 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,311 times
LA is EXTREMELY RACIALLY SEGREGATED. People think it's diverse but it's not, it's segregated. It's been hard for me coming from London, UK, which is a true example of racial diversity. The people who think it's not are people who don't know any better, they think a few black and brown people are enough.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:23 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,430,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellomiss View Post
I live in Los Angeles (specifically Burbank) and I find that it is racially segregated. I have a black friend who also lives in Burbank and she told me that she feels like an outsider because there are so many whites living there. She also told me that it was hard for her to make friends. Does anybody else agree that Los Angeles is a little racially segregated. For example, Asians primarily live in Chinatown or Monterey Park. Blacks tend to live in Baldwin Hills and Inglewood. Latinos tend to live in East Los Angeles. Whites tend to live Malibu, Westwood, or Bel Air. Although Los Angeles is diverse compared to some other states in the U.S., I don't find it to be overwhelmingly diverse or as diverse as NYC. I have never been near the Bay Area, but is it racially segregated like Los Angeles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telzey View Post
Really? Compared to Chicago, Los Angeles is as integrated as it gets. And tons of Latinos live on the west side. I think the segregation you see is largely in your own mind.
Aside form perceiving The separate City of Burbank as part of Los Angeles, I don't think bellomiss is entirely incorrect. But then, a lot has changed since I was growing up as a teen a couple neighborhoods south of USC during the mid 1970's. Later, I worked and traveled all over Los Angeles City and County. And yes, for the most part, Blacks were in Baldwin Hills, Inglewood, South Central and South East. Asians primarily in Korea Town, Chinatown or Monterey Park. Not many Latinos or 'Chicanos' were past The L.A. River, East Los Angeles. And Whites were in The South Bay Beach Cities, West L.A. or near Hawthorne, Torrance areas. Now, I'm not trying to GPS pin-point the exact block where everyone could be found. But generally, you knew where certain demographics were, and there was not a lot of merging culturally or otherwise, outside of the workplace or public events. But I am glad to see that it now looks like more interaction is happening, which is indeed healthy for such a large area.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:22 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Bay Area people are in serious denial about racism, segregation, and the Bay Area's history of both racism and segregation. They think that thats only for the peons in SoCal

Old 12-24-2014, 01:11 AM

181 posts, read 319,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post

Kreayshawn's White Girl Mob & The N-Word | SPIN | Music News

As someone who was born and raised in Oakland (and grew up living in neighborhoods all over the city), I think you did a pretty good job of explaining the reality of SOME Oakland neighborhoods, but you should be careful not to overgeneralize. First off, using the Highland Park, San Antonio, and Temescal neighborhoods as examples of Blacks being the minority population of Oakland is a bit misleading, as those neighborhoods have always had diversity. Oakland, up until the mid-2000s, was majority Black in the historic neighborhoods where they always lived (such as West Oakland, North Oakland, and much of "deep" East Oakland). You could have easily used the same type of charts to show the demographics of neighborhoods such as Maxwell Park, Oak Center, and Brookfield Village to show neighborhoods where Blacks ARE the majority (which would have been just as accurate, as Blacks have long held the majority in those neighborhoods). The reason why the drastic decline in Oakland's Black population is such a hot topic nationally is because of how fast that demographic disappeared in the city. Anyone familiar with Oakland (meaning, the Oakland before gentrification), could tell you how Black the city was up until the mid-2000s, which makes your downplaying of that group's presence and significance in the city a bit off-the-mark. If we're going by the 2010 Census, the dominance Blacks have had over Oakland is still evident, as they are still the largest group in the city at over 27% of the population (despite rapid gentrification, rising rents, and other factors that have contributed to their decline). The fact that you even bring up Kreayshawn is the perfect example of how strong the influence of African-American culture has been on the city and on non-Black residents, as Kreayshawn being raised where she was, in a majority Black area, has much to do with her "unusualness".

Oakland has always been amazingly diverse, and most residents, as explained in the "N-word" video you posted, get along quite well despite ethnic differences. Even with that said, there are many African-American residents in Oakland who would NOT be okay with a non-Black person calling them the N-word, and such an occurrence would be problematic and in many cases could cause the very disharmony that Oakland has prided itself on avoiding.

Not trying to negate anything you said, but I think it's important for all sides to be presented when portraying Oakland, especially in a time where so much untruth is being portrayed about the city (from those suburbanites who, as you mentioned, cling to old stereotypes about Oakland, to the new hipsters and gentrifiers who portray Oakland to be something that it's totally not).

Last edited by CityGuy88; 12-24-2014 at 01:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles