Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 05:55 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,186,871 times

Advertisements

I know a few Hispanic people that live in Brentwood. If you see them walking down the street, you would just think they are a typical White American resident, but in actuality, they are an immigrant from Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 06:21 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,204,802 times
Brentwoods is mostly Hispanic (Puerto Rican & Salvadoran?) for a few decades now. Brentwood, NY (Long Island) that is.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:30 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,313,757 times
lol.. it looks like 90049 zip code is 4.7% hispanic. Pretty low for L.A .

Also i'm going to guess most of those are living in apartments versus the Single Family Homes.

It's actually not as bad as Pittsburgh though, their whole city is only like 2.5% hispanic. One reason it was strange to visit there.

Also over the weekend I went to Costa Mesa/Newport beach area ... it's been a while since I've seen so many blonde people !

Old 12-02-2013, 06:38 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,515,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellomiss View Post
I live in Los Angeles (specifically Burbank) and I find that it is racially segregated. I have a black friend who also lives in Burbank and she told me that she feels like an outsider because there are so many whites living there. She also told me that it was hard for her to make friends. Does anybody else agree that Los Angeles is a little racially segregated. For example, Asians primarily live in Chinatown or Monterey Park. Blacks tend to live in Baldwin Hills and Inglewood. Latinos tend to live in East Los Angeles. Whites tend to live Malibu, Westwood, or Bel Air. Although Los Angeles is diverse compared to some other states in the U.S., I don't find it to be overwhelmingly diverse or as diverse as NYC. I have never been near the Bay Area, but is it racially segregated like Los Angeles?
She has the freedom to move if she finds a virtually crime-free city like Burbank so unbearable!

Don't you just love it when people seek out a crime-free area with good schools and then b**** about the demographics that made it that way in the first place????

Kinda like Oprah Winfrey and her multi-million dollar mansion in Montecito, CA (next to Santa Barbara). Why did she choose Montecito of all places? After all, she believes that old, retired white people should "die off", apparently. Yet, amazingly, she wants to live by them too???

Burbank is actually very diverse, btw. It is home to lots of leftover Aerospace families (many of whom happen to be white) and also many Armenians, Asians and Hispanics.

Last edited by kttam186290; 12-02-2013 at 06:48 PM..

Old 12-02-2013, 09:50 PM

4 posts, read 12,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I was born and raised in L.A and always thought of it being pretty segregated. When I moved to the valley I really saw it. Sure there is more diversity than some places but the idea that it's one big happy melting pot is far from the truth. Some of this came out in the movie Crash.

I work in Brentwood and I don't think i've seen a single black or hispanic person that lives in the area. They are all workers (servants). I'm sure there are some that could afford it, but they probably just don't feel comfortable there.
I agree 100%. While I have not explored Los Angeles to the fullest, I know that there are probably some very diverse areas. I find that the valley is only diverse amongst the white race. I know that there are some hispanics and asians in the valley but very little black people.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:10 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,171,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
She has the freedom to move if she finds a virtually crime-free city like Burbank so unbearable!

Don't you just love it when people seek out a crime-free area with good schools and then b**** about the demographics that made it that way in the first place????

Kinda like Oprah Winfrey and her multi-million dollar mansion in Montecito, CA (next to Santa Barbara). Why did she choose Montecito of all places? After all, she believes that old, retired white people should "die off", apparently. Yet, amazingly, she wants to live by them too???

Burbank is actually very diverse, btw. It is home to lots of leftover Aerospace families (many of whom happen to be white) and also many Armenians, Asians and Hispanics.
Good post.
Burbank is also NOT LAUSD (which by the way is 9% White)

Old 12-02-2013, 10:13 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,171,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondedorolelove View Post
I agree 100%. While I have not explored Los Angeles to the fullest, I know that there are probably some very diverse areas. I find that the valley is only diverse amongst the white race. I know that there are some hispanics and asians in the valley but very little black people.

I grew up in LA too but now live in Orange County. You don't see too many soul food restaurants in OC. We used to joke that you'd see more blacks at a Kings hockey game than you would at an Angels baseball game.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:33 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,800,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondedorolelove View Post
I know that there are some hispanics and asians in the valley but very little black people.
No, but Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, and Xzibit all live there for some reason.

Last edited by Count David; 12-02-2013 at 10:43 PM..

Old 12-03-2013, 12:22 AM

74 posts, read 180,786 times
there are many black people in north hollywood,which is in the valley.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:51 AM

4,536 posts, read 10,587,287 times
I do not know why CD forums are so hung up on race. Really, no one cares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles