Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 02:15 AM

305 posts, read 376,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellomiss View Post
I live in Los Angeles (specifically Burbank) and I find that it is racially segregated. I have a black friend who also lives in Burbank and she told me that she feels like an outsider because there are so many whites living there. She also told me that it was hard for her to make friends. Does anybody else agree that Los Angeles is a little racially segregated. For example, Asians primarily live in Chinatown or Monterey Park. Blacks tend to live in Baldwin Hills and Inglewood. Latinos tend to live in East Los Angeles. Whites tend to live Malibu, Westwood, or Bel Air. Although Los Angeles is diverse compared to some other states in the U.S., I don't find it to be overwhelmingly diverse or as diverse as NYC. I have never been near the Bay Area, but is it racially segregated like Los Angeles?
It is and it isn't. In terms of numbers, it's probably the most diverse city in the US. Are there issues among the races? Yes. A white would feel just as uncomfortable moving to Watts as your black friend feels in Burbank. In my view, the races just prefer to stay with their own and that goes back to the history that we have had here. If you don't understand it then do some research. It is well documented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 09:24 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
Somewhat.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:18 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theGreat1 View Post
It is and it isn't. In terms of numbers, it's probably the most diverse city in the US. Are there issues among the races? Yes. A white would feel just as uncomfortable moving to Watts as your black friend feels in Burbank. In my view, the races just prefer to stay with their own and that goes back to the history that we have had here. If you don't understand it then do some research. It is well documented.
What's interesting about Watts is that it's majority Latino these days , 61%. But, I doubt that Latinos dreamed of living there..

Watts Profile - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

Much of it had to do with costs of property to buy or rent. Just like with the early white folks living in Echo Park or Highland Park years ago. If they could of afforded safer areas at the time they would of moved to those areas.

For Burbank , black population is only 2.5% , so it's pretty low. Hispanic population is 24% .

I just heard a podcast on this exact issue . It was on NPR's THis American Life. It's interesting as it talks about how the government basically supported segregation in the past and it was only later with the fair housing laws that they supported desegregation.

It was actually Mitt Romney's Father - George Romney then governor of Michigan that fought Nixon on housing .

When you look at the history you come to understand why places have been historically racially segregated.

This is the link to the NPR episode :
House Rules | This American Life

Old 12-05-2013, 11:50 AM

305 posts, read 376,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
What's interesting about Watts is that it's majority Latino these days , 61%. But, I doubt that Latinos dreamed of living there..

Watts Profile - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

Much of it had to do with costs of property to buy or rent. Just like with the early white folks living in Echo Park or Highland Park years ago. If they could of afforded safer areas at the time they would of moved to those areas.

For Burbank , black population is only 2.5% , so it's pretty low. Hispanic population is 24% .

I just heard a podcast on this exact issue . It was on NPR's THis American Life. It's interesting as it talks about how the government basically supported segregation in the past and it was only later with the fair housing laws that they supported desegregation.

It was actually Mitt Romney's Father - George Romney then governor of Michigan that fought Nixon on housing .

When you look at the history you come to understand why places have been historically racially segregated.

This is the link to the NPR episode :
House Rules | This American Life
\

Are you trying to say that racial demographics are only a matter of property value? Might be true in a few cases but not in general. People congregate based on where they feel most comfortable and have a support system. That's the reason there are tons of Armenians in Glendale, Asians in Monterey Park, Jews on the West Side, blacks on the South Side (historically), and whites in the north. It is NOT based on rent.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:53 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theGreat1 View Post
\

Are you trying to say that racial demographics are only a matter of property value? Might be true in a few cases but not in general. People congregate based on where they feel most comfortable and have a support system. That's the reason there are tons of Armenians in Glendale, Asians in Monterey Park, Jews on the West Side, blacks on the South Side (historically), and whites in the north. It is NOT based on rent.
Finally!!!! ....Someone who can apply logic and not let emotion get tangled into it!

Old 12-05-2013, 11:59 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
That definitely plays a big role ---wanting to join and live near people of your own background.

But the first immigrants were often poor. Yes..even the asian ones that you don't think of as being poor these days.
The areas the first immigrants moved to were cheaper, so that was based on rent and property values.

Jews didn't startout on the westside... Boyle Heights used to have a big Jewish population.

It's just like in NYC with the lower east side. Lot's of different immigrants living in that area in the past because it was the 'cheap area' of course now it's hipster central.

To say that rents or property values don't play a part would be not applying logic..

There is also migration of immigrants moving as they establish themselves and gain wealth..

Last edited by jm1982; 12-05-2013 at 12:28 PM..

Old 12-05-2013, 01:06 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,038 times
Quote:
I live in Los Angeles (specifically Burbank) and I find that it is racially segregated. I have a black friend who also lives in Burbank and she told me that she feels like an outsider because there are so many whites living there. She also told me that it was hard for her to make friends. Does anybody else agree that Los Angeles is a little racially segregated. For example, Asians primarily live in Chinatown or Monterey Park. Blacks tend to live in Baldwin Hills and Inglewood. Latinos tend to live in East Los Angeles. Whites tend to live Malibu, Westwood, or Bel Air. Although Los Angeles is diverse compared to some other states in the U.S., I don't find it to be overwhelmingly diverse or as diverse as NYC. I have never been near the Bay Area, but is it racially segregated like Los Angeles?
Are you saying your black friend feels like an outsider in Burbank, and is having trouble making friends... because she's BLACK???

I call BS. This more to do with your friend's neurosis than " segregation in LA".

Old 12-05-2013, 01:07 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_Sourge View Post
Yes, Los Angeles is racially segregated city. Don't believe those people who kept saying "I love LA", they will just put lies in your head. In contrast, San Francisco and NYC is overwhelmingly diverse.
Touche' ...Not.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:14 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,442 times
Quote:
Most sizeable cities tend to end up that way. Even the ones like Sacramento, that boast so much diversity. The problem is that this can be misleading since diversity does not eliminate segregation or prejudice. And people tend to prefer living near others who reflect their ethnic and social idenentity. A good friend wrote about the untold segregation that exists in Sacramento, California: http://homeward.wikispaces.com/Segregation

Old 12-05-2013, 01:21 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,299,211 times
Most Parts of Los Angeles County are diverse. The diversity is different in South LA(Black/Hispanic) compared to the Westside(Jews/Persians/Asians), but you still see a diversity of ethnic groups on the streets of those areas. The areas which are overwhelmingly one ethnic group like the Beach Cities, Baldwin Hills, or East LA are not the norm in Los Angeles.

In a Midwestern City. There are parts of the city which are 90% White and 90% Black with little diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles