Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 11:35 PM

4 posts, read 15,228 times

Advertisements

I live in Los Angeles (specifically Burbank) and I find that it is racially segregated. I have a black friend who also lives in Burbank and she told me that she feels like an outsider because there are so many whites living there. She also told me that it was hard for her to make friends. Does anybody else agree that Los Angeles is a little racially segregated. For example, Asians primarily live in Chinatown or Monterey Park. Blacks tend to live in Baldwin Hills and Inglewood. Latinos tend to live in East Los Angeles. Whites tend to live Malibu, Westwood, or Bel Air. Although Los Angeles is diverse compared to some other states in the U.S., I don't find it to be overwhelmingly diverse or as diverse as NYC. I have never been near the Bay Area, but is it racially segregated like Los Angeles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 03:22 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,884,402 times
LA racially segregated? No way!

P.s. Beverly Hills began as one of many all-white planned communities in the LA area. LA itself began as mostly a WASP city until racial integration split up the city in a riotous way.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:43 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
A little?

It's not Chicago/Detroit/St. Louis-level bad, but there are some lines that could be drawn.

There are places you won't find certain types of people, but it would be hard to be able to actually say that it's a byproduct of racism/etc. It could be anything from historical settlement patterns, to self-segregation, to choosing to live near family, economic reasons, commutes, anything.

We've gone over this in another city's forum (a city I consider fairly segregated), and the above reasons were used to debunk my theories.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:03 AM

808 posts, read 1,878,295 times
Take a look for yourself.

Maps across the US: 2000 to 2010 demographic change

Did you just move here recently? I can't imagine anyone who grew up in LA wouldn't have realized this a long time ago.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:27 AM

2 posts, read 20,036 times
Yes, Los Angeles is racially segregated city. Don't believe those people who kept saying "I love LA", they will just put lies in your head. In contrast, San Francisco and NYC is overwhelmingly diverse.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:45 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,184,591 times
There are all sorts of metrics with charts and tables that show diversity indices. For example

CensusScope -- Segregation: Dissimilarity Indices

and

Segregation Scores: ACS 2005-9

Attached Thumbnails
Los Angeles Racially Segregated-neigh.jpg  

Old 11-30-2013, 09:50 AM

23,530 posts, read 24,011,889 times
It is one of the most segregated cities in the US:

Most Segregated Cities Census Maps - Business Insider

Old 11-30-2013, 12:31 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,900,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_Sourge View Post
Yes, Los Angeles is racially segregated city. Don't believe those people who kept saying "I love LA", they will just put lies in your head. In contrast, San Francisco and NYC is overwhelmingly diverse.
i don't know about SF but NYC is quite segregated - but still diverse (as is LA). a similar map of NYC shows the same kind of segregation as you see on the map for LA:

http://www.wired.com/design/2013/08/...map-shows-you/

when you walk around manhattan in NYC you definitely see ppl of a million different races/ethnicities/nationalities but in terms of who actually lives in the city (below 125th) it's quite a different story.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:06 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
Sorta true, but in the end LA is just mostly Latino. Even the "black" areas have a Latino majority (Compton, Watts, South LA), and the "white" and "Asian" areas have significant, sometimes near plurality Latino populations (i.e. Monterey Park/Alhambra in the SGV or Del Rey/Culver City in the Westside, parts of the west SFV). Tons of Latinos hang out and work in the whitest areas like Pacific Palisades or Bel Air, so there is always a diversity of culture and people around.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:27 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Sorta true, but in the end LA is just mostly Latino. Even the "black" areas have a Latino majority (Compton, Watts, South LA), and the "white" and "Asian" areas have significant, sometimes near plurality Latino populations (i.e. Monterey Park/Alhambra in the SGV or Del Rey/Culver City in the Westside, parts of the west SFV). Tons of Latinos hang out and work in the whitest areas like Pacific Palisades or Bel Air, so there is always a diversity of culture and people around.
Though this is true of almost all of California at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles