Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 01:53 AM

68 posts, read 117,630 times

Advertisements

I'm a big fan of Los Angeles' many liquor stores. Not just the product mind you, but the fine service and all around feel of the places as well.
I think these establishments should be preserved from any encroaching gentrification in the future.
If someone doesn't appreciate them because they're too "seedy" for their tastes...F them.
Anyone here love LA's liquor stores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 02:05 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
With or without the plexiglass?

Old 12-08-2013, 02:16 AM

68 posts, read 117,630 times
Especially with the plexiglass.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:25 AM

810 posts, read 1,341,841 times
They're open late. I remember in Van Nuys they were 24 hours.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:22 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,183,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilove View Post
the fine service and all around feel of the places as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Fan of LA's liquor stores.-ls1.jpg   Fan of LA's liquor stores.-ls2.jpg   Fan of LA's liquor stores.-ls3.jpg   Fan of LA's liquor stores.-ls4.jpg   Fan of LA's liquor stores.-ls5.jpg  

Fan of LA's liquor stores.-ls6.jpg  

Old 12-08-2013, 12:29 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilove View Post
I'm a big fan of Los Angeles' many liquor stores. Not just the product mind you, but the fine service and all around feel of the places as well.
I think these establishments should be preserved from any encroaching gentrification in the future.
If someone doesn't appreciate them because they're too "seedy" for their tastes...F them.
Anyone here love LA's liquor stores?
Are they that different from liquor stores in other cities?

They do serve a purpose as it's easy to get in and out versus going to the market. Some of them are overpriced but others are pretty competitive with supermarket pricing.

I doubt many will want to save liquor stores from gentrification.

In my opinion especially in some areas there are probably TOO many liquor stores. But there must be a demand for them because you rarely seem them closing or going out of business. In most of them the dust is probably older than me.

Despite all the talk of L.A being gentrified , there are tons of areas within the city of L.A that are not gentrified .

If you drive through the valley the entire stretch of Roscoe Blvd (which is over 15 miles) doesn't have a single hipster , luxury , upscale type of store. There are many hole in the wall mom and pop liquor stores, as well as other nonchain mom and pop businesses mostly geared to a hispanic population.

One liquor store that I was impressed with is Mission Wine and Spirits , it's not a hole in the wall type of place but a nice clean store with tons of variety. Their prices actually seem cheaper than BevMO. Also the people working there actually know their stuff and gave recommendations. One of the guys even visited one of the rum distilleries in Puerto Rico.

To me that is more fun service than what you will find in typical hole in the wall liquor stores. i went to the one on Burbank in Sherman Oaks/Van Nuys area, but they have some other locations.

It's really quite amazing as instead of a dusty shelf with generic brands they'll have a whole aisle for each type of liquor , Vodka, Rum, etc .

Liquor Spirits Scotch Vodka Whiskey Wine Rum Tequila Cigars.

Don't worry. Los Angeles is a very very long time from being totally gentrified.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:42 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,022 times
That seems more like a wine shop than a "liquor store."

This shop is a menace. Robberies all the time, sketchy people lurking about 24/7, Homeless getting their fix.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Weste...ed=0CAgQ_AUoAg

Old 12-08-2013, 12:44 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,022 times
for spirits I like to buy at the Beverage Warehouse. They have a great selections of spirits, wine, craft beer, specialty soda, etc...
Beverage Warehouse on the web 2013

for wine, a few shops down, is LA Wine Co. Great wine at decent prices.
LA Wine Co

Old 12-08-2013, 12:48 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
That seems more like a wine shop than a "liquor store."

This shop is a menace. Robberies all the time, sketchy people lurking about 24/7, Homeless getting their fix.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Weste...ed=0CAgQ_AUoAg
They have a lot of wine, but it actually seems like they have more space devoted to different spirits. If you check it out you'll see what I mean. , they also have a lot of beer including craft beer .

But it's not a liquor store in the sense that they probably don't sell Lotto tickets,etc?

They also sell nice cigars.

I went because I had a groupon for like 50% off of $100 or something ..still need to drink some of that booze!

Old 12-08-2013, 07:13 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,331,765 times
Are you kidding? Those are some of the best stores. Where you can buy a six pack, a pack of smokes, grab a doughnut, get your dry cleaning, Notarize a letter, and rent a movie all under one roof.

Many of those places have some of the coolest, most eclectic selections of items that you won't find at any 7-11 or Stater Brothers like glass bottle Cokes, Bottle Caps candies, or cap guns.

I LOVE those types of stores. Cheesy stigma and all.

And yes. I would imagine that most-if not all-of them are armed. But so what? You behave yourself and there's no trouble. Why is THAT even up for debate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles