Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 10:47 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Real estate branding?.. new business are opening up and more planned. Plus there have been existing business and tons of live theaters (which have been there for decades),a new movie theater, salons, dance studios, clothing shops ,etc etc

There are some chains but it's mostly mom and pop/indepedent small businesses..
I agree - it's probably mostly branding to call it an "arts" district, but it certainly seems like a pretty cool area of the SFV to live in. Though I agree it is not particularly affordable, when I was looking for 2BRs it was only slightly less expensive than Hollywood proper, and more expensive then most of Glendale / Pasadena / Koreatown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 11:00 AM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,308 times
Culver City is prob the best choice, but rents might increase big time after the lease is up. Leimert Park is a great central location as well.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:11 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I agree - it's probably mostly branding to call it an "arts" district, but it certainly seems like a pretty cool area of the SFV to live in. Though I agree it is not particularly affordable, when I was looking for 2BRs it was only slightly less expensive than Hollywood proper, and more expensive then most of Glendale / Pasadena / Koreatown.
You could probably make a case that any area with a 'business district' of some type ..a place that isn't just mostly residential has branding.

Hollywood is a great example of this.

If you look at anything successful there are developers, investors, government officials behind the scenes.

For example Downtown Culver City as we know it today was very different before.. It was government officials, property owners ,etc that came up with a plan to redevelop the area.

So should we "poo poo" downtown culver city and not go there because it's not "Organic"... even though it's a lot better for resident,visitors and the economy than was what there before?

Old 12-09-2013, 12:37 PM

Culver City is better now than when I grew up there that is for sure.
I think there is a concern for "cookie cutter" type gentrification. Most communities will be indistinguishable from one another and any working class vibe left will be eliminated.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:59 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
You could probably make a case that any area with a 'business district' of some type ..a place that isn't just mostly residential has branding.

Hollywood is a great example of this.

If you look at anything successful there are developers, investors, government officials behind the scenes.

For example Downtown Culver City as we know it today was very different before.. It was government officials, property owners ,etc that came up with a plan to redevelop the area.

So should we "poo poo" downtown culver city and not go there because it's not "Organic"... even though it's a lot better for resident,visitors and the economy than was what there before?
No I am just saying "arts" districts are often not really full of artists, you see this all over the country.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:59 PM

11 posts, read 24,943 times
Thanks for the replies everybody. I 've found some good deals around South LA (Inglewood, Vernon, and Westmont) and also in Mid-City in Central LA. What do you guys think of these areas?

Old 12-12-2013, 12:25 PM

Really depends. All of these areas vary street by street.

Inglewood just east of La Cienega and West of La Brea and South of Centinela is very dense with apartments and condos, but generally safe nowadays considering the density. Lennox - I would stay away from. Many apartments will list themselves as Inglewood and the apartment is actually in Lennox. It's pretty run down here and high crime.

Vernon is very industrial. Not sure about the rent situation. The apartment might actually be in Central-Alameda in South LA.

Westmont - This is an area with great housing stock, but the apartments don't look so great in my opinion. You would really have to check out the place and see if it feels safe to you. Crime is relatively high here.

Mid City - It depends on what you consider Mid-City. This is Mid-City Mid-City Crime - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

This is also an area with great housing stock, but the apartments are iffy. The positive about Mid-City is that there is some gentrification going on, so the area might improve quickly.

I would look at the Mid City and Inglewood apartments first. Then Westmont, then Vernon.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:27 AM

11 posts, read 24,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
Really depends. All of these areas vary street by street.

Inglewood just east of La Cienega and West of La Brea and South of Centinela is very dense with apartments and condos, but generally safe nowadays considering the density. Lennox - I would stay away from. Many apartments will list themselves as Inglewood and the apartment is actually in Lennox. It's pretty run down here and high crime.

Vernon is very industrial. Not sure about the rent situation. The apartment might actually be in Central-Alameda in South LA.

Westmont - This is an area with great housing stock, but the apartments don't look so great in my opinion. You would really have to check out the place and see if it feels safe to you. Crime is relatively high here.

Mid City - It depends on what you consider Mid-City. This is Mid-City Mid-City Crime - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

This is also an area with great housing stock, but the apartments are iffy. The positive about Mid-City is that there is some gentrification going on, so the area might improve quickly.

I would look at the Mid City and Inglewood apartments first. Then Westmont, then Vernon.

Thanks. What do you think of Hollywood? Like near Hollywood blvd? It sounds like a bad idea to me, I'd hate the idea of living by a tourist spot. But is it that bad? Also, what do you think of Westlake, Pico-Union, Downtown and the surrounding area?

Old 12-13-2013, 12:28 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
No I am just saying "arts" districts are often not really full of artists, you see this all over the country.
That could be true. But I don't think arts districts necessarily have to have a majority of artists in them.
It could be an area where one can appreciate or observe the arts.

Also I think the definition of artists is more broad than painters, sculptors,etc.

Actors consider themselves artists too and there are tons of live theatres in the NoHo arts district.
Also many dance studios and dancers living there. Dance is a form of art as well.

I don't see it as some phoney development that has a few high priced galleries and is trying to claim they are an arts district.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:29 PM

Hollywood is safer than it used to be, but if you are going to be working in El Segundo, I wouldn't necessarily want to live in Hollywood.

Westlake is very dense and not particularly safe, but there are lots of improvements happening in the area. Same goes for Pico-Union. DTLA, I think that the quality of apartment you would get for between $500 and $1000 would be very sketchy.

Honestly, you will have to check these places out before you sign the paperwork. Find out where you will be working. If it is closer to Hollywood, check out Mid-City, Hollywood, Westlake... If you will be working near El Segundo, check out Inglewood, Hawthorne...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles