Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 07:14 AM

11 posts, read 24,942 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to LA at the end of the month and I'm looking at apartments. Location isn't really a factor for me because I'm not really sure where I want to live. I've never been to LA (unless you count all the times we went to Disneyland when I was a child) and I chose to move there because I want to be around the film industry (cliche, I know. At least, i'm not trying to be an actor). I'm gonna be looking for work (preferably in film production but i might settle for something in corporate communication/marketing) and most of the jobs I'm applying to are around Burbank, Vernon, El Segundo, Santa Monica and other places. And most of the apartments I've found in my budget (500-1000) are around Central LA (Westlake, Wilshire), South LA (near Leimert Park) and Culver City. Thing is, I don't what any of these neighborhoods are like, so I don't know if they are good places to work or live. I'm talking about "good" in terms of crime, public transit, traffic, shopping, accessibility etc. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 08:40 AM

23,535 posts, read 24,022,219 times
In LA, you ideally want to live close to work. The traffic congestion will put incredible stress on you, otherwise.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:02 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,184,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Serrano View Post
I'm moving to LA at the end of the month and I'm looking at apartments. Location isn't really a factor for me because I'm not really sure where I want to live. I've never been to LA (unless you count all the times we went to Disneyland when I was a child) and I chose to move there because I want to be around the film industry (cliche, I know. At least, i'm not trying to be an actor). I'm gonna be looking for work (preferably in film production but i might settle for something in corporate communication/marketing) and most of the jobs I'm applying to are around Burbank, Vernon, El Segundo, Santa Monica and other places. And most of the apartments I've found in my budget (500-1000) are around Central LA (Westlake, Wilshire), South LA (near Leimert Park) and Culver City. Thing is, I don't what any of these neighborhoods are like, so I don't know if they are good places to work or live. I'm talking about "good" in terms of crime, public transit, traffic, shopping, accessibility etc. What do you guys think?

I understand what you are asking but it is too wide open to provide a response. We really need a better idea of where you will be working.

Personally, I think the safety issue not a problem for 98% of LA County. I just wouldn't worry too much. And, public transportation is a possibility - something we'd consider when providing recommendations of where to live - but we'd have to know where you're working. Shopping is ubiquitous. Traffic is as mentioned above a huge factor - again, we need to know where you'd be working.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:08 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,103 times
Oooh, if you found something under 1000 in Culver City, jump on it! Lots of studios in the area though you'd be far from the hub which seems to be Burbank, Studio City areas. I don't know what production happens in Vernon. You mentioned being close to El Segundo and Santa Monica, Culver City would be that.

According to a local rental expert who was on KCRW the other day, the current "bargains" (by LA standards) are in the Valley (she didn't specify an area), Burbank, Glendale, and Koreatown. I'd be happy with a place in any of the last three choices and certain parts of the valley.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:28 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
OP, best area to live would probably be Culver City. Areas mentioned in Central LA and South LA are going to be higher crime and probably not as nice places to live.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
Oooh, if you found something under 1000 in Culver City, jump on it! Lots of studios in the area though you'd be far from the hub which seems to be Burbank, Studio City areas. I don't know what production happens in Vernon. You mentioned being close to El Segundo and Santa Monica, Culver City would be that.

According to a local rental expert who was on KCRW the other day, the current "bargains" (by LA standards) are in the Valley (she didn't specify an area), Burbank, Glendale, and Koreatown. I'd be happy with a place in any of the last three choices and certain parts of the valley.
The nice part about renting in L.A is that rents don't vary that much by area compared to buying property.

Oftentimes the nicer areas would be too much more than a sketchy area.

I agree that $1,000 for Culver City would be a good deal.

I think there is a lot that is appealing about the NoHo arts district and it's growing with new trendy type businesses.

It won't be long before it gets nationwide exposure as a 'hip area' as Echo Park, Silverlake are now .

Also with the metro redline right there you are literally 12 minutes from Hollywood and under 30mins to Downtown L.A and not far from many other areas.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:05 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Culver City. But plan on moving again when your lease is up. If you get REAL LUCKY you may not have to but just plan on it anyway.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:55 AM

367 posts, read 672,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
The nice part about renting in L.A is that rents don't vary that much by area compared to buying property.

Oftentimes the nicer areas would be too much more than a sketchy area.

I agree that $1,000 for Culver City would be a good deal.

I think there is a lot that is appealing about the NoHo arts district and it's growing with new trendy type businesses.

It won't be long before it gets nationwide exposure as a 'hip area' as Echo Park, Silverlake are now .

Also with the metro redline right there you are literally 12 minutes from Hollywood and under 30mins to Downtown L.A and not far from many other areas.
noho 'arts' district is totally artificial, there's no organic momentum behind it its just real estate branding

a few new american $12 sandwich gastropubs does not an arts district make

and it's not even cheap

Old 12-09-2013, 07:12 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
According to a local rental expert who was on KCRW the other day, the current "bargains" (by LA standards) are in the Valley (she didn't specify an area), Burbank, Glendale, and Koreatown.
Just to clarify for the OP, "the Valley", when mentioned in that way by Angelenos(people from Los Angeles and L.A. County) usually references the San Fernando Valley, which is located on the north side of the Santa Monica Mountains(Los Angeles is the only major U.S. city that is bisected by a mountain range) and is home to the major studios(Burbank, Studio City, etc...)

There are other valley's(Harrier tends to call the San Gabriel Valley "the valley" since he lives in closer proximity to that particular region, but "the Valley" is an L.A. idiom for the San Fernando Valley.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjt123 View Post
noho 'arts' district is totally artificial, there's no organic momentum behind it its just real estate branding

a few new american $12 sandwich gastropubs does not an arts district make

and it's not even cheap
Real estate branding?.. new business are opening up and more planned. Plus there have been existing business and tons of live theaters (which have been there for decades),a new movie theater, salons, dance studios, clothing shops ,etc etc

There are some chains but it's mostly mom and pop/indepedent small businesses..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles