Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 08:01 PM

13 posts, read 23,337 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are moving back to greater LA, need some advice on where to end up. My wife and I have an 8 year old daughter in 2nd grade. I work from home, so commute is not an issue, but we do like to drive to Santa Monica often and to hike Temescal and throughout Topanga, etc. Do want good schools, we are looking to rent to start. Ideally want to spend 3-4k, single-family house, pool would be nice but not a requirement. Do want to be close to shopping, parks, etc. Does anyone area offer something more than another? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 11:29 AM

546 posts, read 814,659 times
Calabasas is considered the "nicest" (read: most expensive) of the three. All have good schools. Calabasas is closer to Temescal/Topanga and shopping. I think Oak Park is considered the least desirable but all are nice, safe areas with good schools.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:45 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,122,212 times
First off, all of these places are very nice. There is nothing undesirable about any of these towns. Agoura Hills is the oldest and the style of the homes reflects this. Calabasas may be considered the nicest, because of the high end homes located there, but your price range isn't going to get you into those homes. You should be able to find a nice 3 or 4 bedroom house in your price range that is zoned to excellent schools in any of these areas. If it were me, I'm not sure which I'd choose. Calabasas is the most interesting and closest to all things LA, but it's also in the west valley and gets very hot in the summer. the others get hot as well, but not as hot. Oak Park is a bit secluded and not even that close to the freeway. Agoura Hills is closer to the freeway, but as mentioned the homes are are older. If you like Oak Park and Agoura Hills, you should probably open up your search to thousand oaks, westlake village and newbury park. if you like calabasas, you may also consider nearby woodland hills and west hills, which are in LA city but generally are zoned to good schools. your best bet is to drive around the area and see which works for you. just remember that the san fernando valley areas often get to 100 (sometimes hotter) in the summer. the conejo valley is usually 5-10 degrees cooler in the summer.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:05 PM

Thanks for the info., much appreciated....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
First off, all of these places are very nice. There is nothing undesirable about any of these towns. Agoura Hills is the oldest and the style of the homes reflects this. Calabasas may be considered the nicest, because of the high end homes located there, but your price range isn't going to get you into those homes. You should be able to find a nice 3 or 4 bedroom house in your price range that is zoned to excellent schools in any of these areas. If it were me, I'm not sure which I'd choose. Calabasas is the most interesting and closest to all things LA, but it's also in the west valley and gets very hot in the summer. the others get hot as well, but not as hot. Oak Park is a bit secluded and not even that close to the freeway. Agoura Hills is closer to the freeway, but as mentioned the homes are are older. If you like Oak Park and Agoura Hills, you should probably open up your search to thousand oaks, westlake village and newbury park. if you like calabasas, you may also consider nearby woodland hills and west hills, which are in LA city but generally are zoned to good schools. your best bet is to drive around the area and see which works for you. just remember that the san fernando valley areas often get to 100 (sometimes hotter) in the summer. the conejo valley is usually 5-10 degrees cooler in the summer.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:35 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,292,235 times
Oak Park has some nice parks and is in the proximity to nice hiking as well. Here and Agoura Hills probably best meet your requirements. Calabasas is great too, but really is beyond what you're looking for price wise. I lived in Oak Park briefly and found it to be more of a solidly family oriented place. Some parts are in LA county and some are in Ventura.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:27 PM

424 posts, read 643,414 times
Not all homes in Calabasas are over $4k+ in rent. There are smaller or older homes that fit your budget. I know you said you want a house but even some townhomes with shared pool would be within budget. I live in Calabasas and love it despite the heat. Agoura would be a good 2nd choice. Once you venture further you are hitting Ventura County and it would just be a pain to frequent LA if that's your intent. Personally if I had a choice outside of Calabasas I would go Westlake.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:43 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,970,182 times
Here's some ads from a local paper to give you an idea:

http://www.toacorn.com/news/2013-12-12/PDF/Page_047.pdf

Old 12-12-2013, 12:13 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,600,974 times
just an aside, but ppl who move to Agoura and Calabasas and Westlake Vlg aren't the types who go hiking thru the hills in the Santa Monica Mtns. They'd rather spend their time being pampered at Burke-Williams or filling their off-site wine lockers with 97-point hedonistic fruit bombs. Moreover the commute into DTLA or Hollywood for cultural/entertainment events can easily be over 1 1/2 hours one way. Just some points to mull over....

Old 12-13-2013, 12:55 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,970,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
just an aside, but ppl who move to Agoura and Calabasas and Westlake Vlg aren't the types who go hiking thru the hills in the Santa Monica Mtns. .
Ridiculous post. Every day in the Santa Monica Mountains you see people hiking, and they don't look impoverished. And considering it's mid-day on a weekday, they apparently don't have to go to a 9-5 job. The richer the healthier, as so often reported in the media. The amount of trails in the area is staggering. On weekends you find yourself saying "excuse me" as you pass others on a narrow trail. That's how much they are used!

http://www.lamountains.com/pdf/ULVfall2013web.pdf

Old 12-13-2013, 07:45 PM

Thanks to all for the info.... as far as schools, is it better to be in LA County, Las Virgenes District or Ventura??? I have been told MANY different things on each... any insight here? Our daughter is currently in the 2nd grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles