Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 12:05 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,798,610 times

Advertisements

To quote a friend about venice " I use to dodge bullets , now I dodge skinny pants"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 10:50 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
Agreed, anyone who says these areas are unsafe has some pretty unrealistic expectations for "safety."

I will say that Venice has some questionable areas around Washington Blvd. Not what I would call unsafe but probably an area I would avoid when searching for apartments.
Are you referring to the area where Venice, Del Rey, Mar Vista, MDR, and West CC border each other, in between Venice High and Costco? (That area has a history of gang activity due to being on the border of two varrios, although it's been pretty quiet for awhile)

Or are you referring to West Washington, the old name of Abbot Kinney? (In which case you'd mean Oakwood, which still is problematic even if less so than in the past)

Because the parts of Venice off Washington Blvd. west of Lincoln are the nicest parts of Venice: Oxford Triangle, the Canals, South Beach, and the Peninsula.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:25 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,014,306 times
I was referring to area around Costco along Washington. My parents rented a place near there (right off Venice Blvd.) and the homeless drug addicts were a constant presence near Costco. I don't actually consider anything along Washington Blvd in Venice "nice" but I agree that there are some nice residential areas west of Lincoln and north of Washington. I thought everything south of Washington was considered Marina Del Rey but I'm not positive about that.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I was referring to area around Costco along Washington. My parents rented a place near there (right off Venice Blvd.) and the homeless drug addicts were a constant presence near Costco.
That describes much of Venice.If you think the homeless problems are bad there than you don't want to imagine living by OFW.

Normally someone talking about bad parts of Venice would mention Oakwood not South Venice, that's why I asked.

The Peninsula is south of Washington and is Venice not MDR.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Normally someone talking about bad parts of Venice would mention Oakwood not South Venice, that's why I asked.
I wasn't intending to post a comprehensive guide to the "bad parts of Venice." But certainly I would advise people to avoid large sections of Washington Blvd having stayed in the area for 2 weeks. North of Venice Blvd. (in Venice) is generally a pretty safe bet IME. There are is much less of a homeless problem there IME. I'm not a big fan of Venice in general. My personal preference would go little further north into South Santa Monica.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I wasn't intending to post a comprehensive guide to the "bad parts of Venice." But certainly I would advise people to avoid large sections of Washington Blvd having stayed in the area for 2 weeks. North of Venice Blvd. (in Venice) is generally a pretty safe bet IME. There are is much less of a homeless problem there IME. I'm not a big fan of Venice in general. My personal preference would go little further north into South Santa Monica.
Because Oakwood is "pretty safe" and Oxford Triangle is so dangerous

I've lived in and around Venice a little longer than you have.

Washington Blvd. in Venice is just fine. The section of Venice I'd urge people to avoid is between Rose on the north, Lincoln on the east, California on the south, and Abbot Kinney to the west. (Your "advice" on Venice would be disputed by anyone with the slightest familiarity with Venice beyond two weeks.)

If anything the more northern parts of Venice have more problems.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:41 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
The Oakwood area is not nearly as bad as it used to be. I've felt totally safe walking around during the day, and have even visited friends there at night. There's gentrified million+ dollar houses literally next to boarded up shacks now.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Washington Blvd. in Venice is just fine. The section of Venice I'd urge people to avoid is between Rose on the north, Lincoln on the east, California on the south, and Abbot Kinney to the west. (Your "advice" on Venice would be disputed by anyone with the slightest familiarity with Venice beyond two weeks.)
Washington east of Lincoln is pretty undesirable IMO. Unless you like walking past homeless people who clearly just used meth or heroin. I experienced it myself and there's no sugar coating that particular area IMO. It gets significantly better as up near Venice Blvd and you don't see many homeless north of Venice Blvd.

It would be easier just to say avoid the Oakwood area. The area you're advising people to avoid includes some very expensive housing which some people clearly find desirable. In particular there are some very some expensive homes/condos that are walking distance to Abbot Kinney included in your "avoidance" area. BTW, I've lived in Santa Monica for a year and ride my bike through Venice 4X per week.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:45 AM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,799 times
Quote:
Washington east of Lincoln is pretty undesirable IMO. Unless you like walking past homeless people who clearly just used meth or heroin. I experienced it myself and there's no sugar coating that particular area IMO. It gets significantly better as up near Venice Blvd and you don't see many homeless north of Venice Blvd.

It would be easier just to say avoid the Oakwood area. The area you're advising people to avoid includes some very expensive housing which some people clearly find desirable. In particular there are some very some expensive homes/condos that are walking distance to Abbot Kinney included in you "avoidance" area. BTW, I've lived in Santa Monica for a year and ride my bike through Venice 4X per week.
Not saying that you didn't see or experience what you did in Venice, but you clearly have rudimentary knowledge of the area. I grew up in the the Culver City/Del Rey/Venice area and I find Majoun's assesment to be accurate. While the Oakwood area has expensive housing, it doesn't make the area more safe.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
Not saying that you didn't see or experience what you did in Venice, but you clearly have rudimentary knowledge of the area.
I did originally say that I would avoid certain parts of Washington Blvd which I still believe. My parents rented a house right by that Costco for a month and I spent 2-3 weeks there. I think that qualifies me to speak on that area. I could easily dismiss what you say as being out of date or inaccurate today but you'll notice I'm not doing that. You have no idea what my knowledge is, or is not, in regards to the area. There's no reason to be snarky here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles