Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 02:28 PM

601 posts, read 755,770 times

Advertisements

This threat is a comedy goldmine, reddit-level beauty. Gold stars, everyone.

You're literally complaining that some churches had to move their displays a few blocks, from the park, to their own buildings. Oh, the humanity. Somehow, I think Jesus and/or God would tell you to spend your effort on something more important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 03:15 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I'm not "the government", nor are most people I know. We're constituents of this constitutional republic, which had limited powers as prescribed by the U.S. Constitution.

Look, I know what it's like to be 20 years old these days and you're just learning about a good deal of things you never learned in high school or in college, but you can take my word for it, there was never any violation of any law by displaying nativity scenes on public property.
You passive aggressive ******

Old 01-01-2014, 05:39 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
I don't think anyone would be complaining if that were the case (except for the people who complain about everything and anything.) The Christians are the ones who seem to want a monopoly on putting religious displays on public property at least at this time of year.
Do they? Did you not see the posts regarding the menorahs on public property? BTW, how often do Christians want to put up nativity scenes January through November of any given year? Can the Pastafarians not use that time to put something up instead of trying to squelch another group simply out of spite, such that now neither group can ever use the park to host a display?

Old 01-01-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post
This threat is a comedy goldmine, reddit-level beauty. Gold stars, everyone.

You're literally complaining that some churches had to move their displays a few blocks, from the park, to their own buildings. Oh, the humanity. Somehow, I think Jesus and/or God would tell you to spend your effort on something more important.
Those "displays" were an SM tradition. That may not mean much to you, but it does to those of us who are native to the area.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:28 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
Those "displays" were an SM tradition. That may not mean much to you, but it does to those of us who are native to the area.
That's a bit inclusive, isn't it? Where I grew up in S. OC, the cross is no longer atop "Cross Hill" and I don't miss it one tiny bit.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:40 PM

513 posts, read 913,803 times
Quote:
That park along Ocean Ave. is fairly long -- I don't understand why the Pastafarians et al couldn't do their own displays in the same park at the same time, or even at a different time of year if they want to put displays where the evil society-wrecking Christians put theirs.

Additionally, I'd think most people would find the homeless drunks and such that populate the park more offensive than any religious displays.
No, I find religious displays far more offensive. The homeless problem should be addressed as well.

Besides, the display was hideous. It was old and shabby and those awful department store mannequins as the virgin mary and joseph were highly unattractive. They belong at Sears wearing a bra, not a tunic on Palisades Park.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajack78 View Post
No, I find religious displays far more offensive. The homeless problem should be addressed as well.

Besides, the display was hideous. It was old and shabby and those awful department store mannequins as the virgin mary and joseph were highly unattractive. They belong at Sears wearing a bra, not a tunic on Palisades Park.
Fair enough then -- let's clean up the homeless people and hire them to take the places of the mannequins. Solved and solved.

And furthermore, I wouldn't mind the homeless people the rest of the year being replaced by the nativity scene mannequins, either. The mannequins are quiet and don't wreak of booze.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:20 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,014,306 times
Quote:
Do they? Did you not see the posts regarding the menorahs on public property? BTW, how often do Christians want to put up nativity scenes January through November of any given year?
Watch Fox News, they run lots of stories around the holidays about the "war on Christmas" many of which have to do with nativity scenes being disallowed on public property. Another favorite story of theirs is the removal of the word "god" from the pledge of allegiance. You seem to be someone who would agree with this whole "war on Christmas" nonsense.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:21 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
Watch Fox News
Torturer.

Quote:
Another favorite story of theirs is the removal of the word "god" from the pledge of allegiance.
Do they ever mention that it wasn't there at all prior to 1954?

Old 01-02-2014, 03:08 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,014,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Torturer.
MSNBC and CNN are just as bad. There's always PBS or NPR but I usually have trouble remaining conscious whenever I tune into them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles