U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2013, 08:50 PM

74 posts, read 171,709 times

Advertisements

i am trying to help out one of my neighbors. they are a couple in their mid 20's. we live in west hollywood and they work near the convention/staples center. they don't have a car,so they rely on public transportation and it is tough for them to commute from Figueroa/Venice to basically La Brea/Fountain everyday. they want to live in either of those places that i mentioned and they want to live very close to Venice Boulevard because it would be just a straight shot on the 733 bus to and from work. they want a one bedroom apartment within the range of Motor Avenue to Centinela Avenue. they don't really want to go west of Centinela. their budget is $1,500 a month for the one bedroom. i am asking,to anyone here who knows those areas,can you tell me which area is the safest for them and within their price range. west hollywood is very safe and they want to live somewhere where it is also as safe. if you guys can tell me the information,i will relay it to them. thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 09:06 PM

17,443 posts, read 26,996,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody067 View Post
i am trying to help out one of my neighbors. they are a couple in their mid 20's. we live in west hollywood and they work near the convention/staples center. they don't have a car,so they rely on public transportation and it is tough for them to commute from Figueroa/Venice to basically La Brea/Fountain everyday. they want to live in either of those places that i mentioned and they want to live very close to Venice Boulevard because it would be just a straight shot on the 733 bus to and from work. they want a one bedroom apartment within the range of Motor Avenue to Centinela Avenue. they don't really want to go west of Centinela. their budget is $1,500 a month for the one bedroom. i am asking,to anyone here who knows those areas,can you tell me which area is the safest for them and within their price range. west hollywood is very safe and they want to live somewhere where it is also as safe. if you guys can tell me the information,i will relay it to them. thanks.
Culver City's the safest of those 3, and is safer than West Hollywood as well. It has its own police department . It's also the most expensive of those 3. You could have a hard time finding an apartment in that price range. CC has fewer apartments than Palms or Mar Vista - as it is one of the only two westside areas which have a majority of homeowners (Westchester is the other one)

Palms is the least safe, but is generally still relatively safe. In general the areas west of Motor are usually safer than east of Motor. It's also the cheapest of those 3.

Mar Vista's in between. Generally safe.

Last edited by majoun; 12-26-2013 at 10:23 PM..

Old 12-27-2013, 01:18 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,354,836 times
$1500 is the mortgage on a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo with washer dryer and pool in highland park with good access to the gold line into down town. Some how people manage to survive in those neighborhood not being know for being safe.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:53 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,150,194 times
If your friends definitely want to stay in the three areas you mentioned, Culver City has an Expo Line station at Robertson and Venice. It's not the best area of CC, but it quickly improves as you go west. DTCC, maybe five minutes' walk west of the Expo station, is very nice these days. The Expo Line takes you right to the Convention Center/Staples Center neighborhood; if your friends were to choose Highland Park they'd have to take three trains to get to Staples. There is a project in the works to improve how the rail lines dovetail with one another in the central area, but that's years away from coming online.

Another thing they might look for in Culver City is a guesthouse.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
If your friends definitely want to stay in the three areas you mentioned, Culver City has an Expo Line station at Robertson and Venice. It's not the best area of CC, but it quickly improves as you go west. DTCC, maybe five minutes' walk west of the Expo station, is very nice these days. The Expo Line takes you right to the Convention Center/Staples Center neighborhood; if your friends were to choose Highland Park they'd have to take three trains to get to Staples. There is a project in the works to improve how the rail lines dovetail with one another in the central area, but that's years away from coming online.

Another thing they might look for in Culver City is a guesthouse.
ETA: The entire geographic perimeter of Culver City looks like the Partitions of Poland. What most people think of as Culver City proper is southeast of Palms and centered around the intersection of Culver / Washington (DTCC). However, it extends a "shoestring" of territory almost as far west as MDR. So, the ability to access transit and other amenities will vary depending on where exactly in CC they might choose to live.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:04 AM

I should have thought of this earlier, but your friends will need to know that Culver City doesn't have rent control. If they want to stick as close to that $1500 figure as possible, or at least to whatever portion that is of their income, they should probably stick to the other places mentioned. West Hollywood has rent control, and the other areas mentioned are all within the L.A. city limits, so they have rent control as well. For reasonably good transit access in the short to midterm future, I'd go with Palms. West Hollywood is a cool area whether you're gay or not, but it would probably be a tough commute to DTLA, particularly by public transit, which will consist of buses only for many more years to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles