Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2016, 08:56 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlaneloli View Post
I liked Downtown 10 years ago, certainly didn't ignore it like this article claims I did. Fond memories of walking down Broadway past all the little shops.
10 years ago many people in LA would say disparaging things about downtown. The attitude has changed as people are now a lot more excited about it.

I've seen that change in attitude myself.

That doesn't mean that totally no one went downtown years ago, obviously people worked there (but the office building section is expanding) and people went to events there. But now there's just a lot more stuff there and there are two grocery stores (Ralph's and Whole Foods), plus CVS and Walgreens and Rite Aide. Plus I heard Trader Joes is moving downtown too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 09:14 AM

733 posts, read 940,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
10 years ago many people in LA would say disparaging things about downtown. The attitude has changed as people are now a lot more excited about it.

I've seen that change in attitude myself.

That doesn't mean that totally no one went downtown years ago, obviously people worked there (but the office building section is expanding) and people went to events there. But now there's just a lot more stuff there and there are two grocery stores (Ralph's and Whole Foods), plus CVS and Walgreens and Rite Aide. Plus I heard Trader Joes is moving downtown too.
I can't say I see a lot of buzz over this outside of the internet, and on the internet what I'm seeing is stuck up attitudes towards Downtown's past condition and present condition when that present condition is too similar to the past condition. The worst thing I heard 10 years ago is that Downtown is full of wierdos when it gets late, same thing about Hollywood, but this is LA, we're at least a contender for the weirdo capital of the world. I have a problem with the attitude and outlook with these articles I've been reading about changes in Downtown. I've noticed the changes, I don't see them all in a positive light, and people I talk to that grew up in LA any positive feelings are mixed.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:48 AM

Quote:
I can't say I see a lot of buzz over this outside of the internet, and on the internet what I'm seeing is stuck up attitudes towards Downtown's past condition and present condition when that present condition is too similar to the past condition. The worst thing I heard 10 years ago is that Downtown is full of wierdos when it gets late, same thing about Hollywood, but this is LA, we're at least a contender for the weirdo capital of the world. I have a problem with the attitude and outlook with these articles I've been reading about changes in Downtown. I've noticed the changes, I don't see them all in a positive light, and people I talk to that grew up in LA any positive feelings are mixed.
Real estate prices and occupancy of new buildings downtown would suggest otherwise. It's pretty popular. Also it's not just internet buzz. There are a lot of new restaurants and bars downtown, new office buildings rising, and of course lots of new residential buildings rising downtown (many renovated buildings too for both residential and office space).

This is not a matter of buzz, it's physical reality, one that you can witness if you go downtown and there are the financial figures to prove it.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Real estate prices and occupancy of new buildings downtown would suggest otherwise. It's pretty popular. Also it's not just internet buzz. There are a lot of new restaurants and bars downtown, new office buildings rising, and of course lots of new residential buildings rising downtown (many renovated buildings too for both residential and office space).

This is not a matter of buzz, it's physical reality, one that you can witness if you go downtown and there are the financial figures to prove it.
I go Downtown very regularly, I don't live very far from it, I've seen the changes but they're not something I've been getting excited about for the most part. And I don't see a lot of buzz from the people I know that were born and raised here, that's what I was saying, in my family we're happy that Clifton's opened again but other than that not really.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I go Downtown very regularly, I don't live very far from it, I've seen the changes but they're not something I've been getting excited about for the most part. And I don't see a lot of buzz from the people I know that were born and raised here, that's what I was saying, in my family we're happy that Clifton's opened again but other than that not really.
We all know different sets of people. So how your friends or family feel about something means little.

The marketplace really measures how well people feel about something. The number of people moving downtown, the number of units under construction, the rate of return on investments, etc.

There are still people in metro NYC who will have a bad opinion of Brooklyn though new buildings in Brooklyn can be more expensive than certain parts of Manhattan. Some people are stuck in the past. But it makes no differences, as the markets are never stuck in the past.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:44 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
I see a lot of buzz from locals and visitors. I had relatives in town this week staying at the Biltmore who haven't been here in the past 10 years and they couldn't believe all of the positive changes. They were thoroughly impressed and said they could easily live downtown. It's quite exciting for me too. No other area is growing as fast as downtown. I love it.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
We all know different sets of people. So how your friends or family feel about something means little.

The marketplace really measures how well people feel about something. The number of people moving downtown, the number of units under construction, the rate of return on investments, etc.

There are still people in metro NYC who will have a bad opinion of Brooklyn though new buildings in Brooklyn can be more expensive than certain parts of Manhattan. Some people are stuck in the past. But it makes no differences, as the markets are never stuck in the past.

What's up with your attitude? I post in this thread sharing my opinion and expressing it as my opinion and then speak on what I've gouged from people around me and then you get all abrasive and say our feelings mean little. So what if people had their nose too high in the air before to see how great Downtown is and suddenly it's being "discovered" or whatever , they didn't care about Downtown before, they were overlooking it before, now it's trendy or something and they're finally paying attention.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
What's up with your attitude? I post in this thread sharing my opinion and expressing it as my opinion and then speak on what I've gouged from people around me and then you get all abrasive and say our feelings mean little. So what if people had their nose too high in the air before to see how great Downtown is and suddenly it's being "discovered" or whatever , they didn't care about Downtown before, they were overlooking it before, now it's trendy or something and they're finally paying attention.
Because that has significant economic implications. Lots of money is being made downtown. That's a fact that downtown gets a lot more investment, a lot more people there and has a lot more business activity (corporate, retail, grocery, bar, restaurant, etc).

I speak about factual information, not about OPINIONS. An individual person or group of friends could like or dislike anything, but on a thread like this we are speaking about trends and mass groups of people.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Because that has significant economic implications. Lots of money is being made downtown. That's a fact that downtown gets a lot more investment, a lot more people there and has a lot more business activity (corporate, retail, grocery, bar, restaurant, etc).

I speak about factual information, not about OPINIONS. An individual person or group of friends could like or dislike anything, but on a thread like this we are speaking about trends and mass groups of people.
When did I say there weren't economic implications? I came in talking about I don't appreciate the tone of these articles I see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles