Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 03:42 PM

367 posts, read 673,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMersh View Post
The condo market is under supplied in downtown right now. New supply will come in and prices should correct.

That shot in front of the new ACE hotel is insteresting. A woman carrying an Acne bag (from the Swedish retailer which just opened nearby). Yes, Broadway is changing...
I heard they've already converted all the old buildings possible for residential living. And i don't think new buildings are going to have reasonably priced units, they're probably going to start at or slightly above the market rate. Downtown is going to get even more expensive as it develops, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 04:26 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjt123 View Post
I heard they've already converted all the old buildings possible for residential living. And i don't think new buildings are going to have reasonably priced units, they're probably going to start at or slightly above the market rate. Downtown is going to get even more expensive as it develops, imo.
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if it gets more expensive. Per square foot it's still a lot less than Manhattan.
Prices have already gone up a lot, but that doesn't mean they can't go up more.

It seems to make sense that more density will happen in the areas adjacent to downtown to meet demand for people that want to live in the area.

I don't know whether or not all possible buildings in Downtown proper have been converted to residential.

There is also a ton of development happening in South Park near Staples center.

I also agree though that these developments are unlikely to be affordable..but I know there are some rules that require developers to provide a certain number of units as affordable housing. It will still be a small percentage of people that will be able to obtain those particular units.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:12 PM

546 posts, read 817,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjt123 View Post
There are lots of parking lots waiting to get developed. Also, plenty of owners/developers have plans (or will make plans) to convert their existing rental units to condos. Nothing stopping any of the current 5,000 or so units under construction or planned from going condo either.

New supply should cool off the market a bit (not necessarily cause a drop) but at least make it go flat for a while. There has been no NEW condo supply added in DTLA since the recession (except for the Barker Block I think). Developers got the jitters after the for sale housing market tanked.

I work downtown and I know one young 20-something (like 22 or 23) that owns his unit (his parents gave him major down payment assistance). The rest of the 20-somethings that work at my company that live downtown rent. They would love to own but are priced out.

So maybe a combination of overseas buyers, rich kids and wealthy empty nesters will keep the market afloat or prices rising? I don't know if all those groups are enough....maybe so I just don't know.

Last edited by ProjectMersh; 02-08-2014 at 05:43 PM..

Old 02-08-2014, 05:23 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
The condo market is under supplied in downtown right now. New supply will come in and prices should correct.

That shot in front of the new ACE hotel is insteresting. A woman carrying an Acne bag (from the Swedish retailer which just opened nearby). Yes, Broadway is changing...
Not to mention the doofus next to her who wouldn't have been caught dead downtown 5 years ago...

Old 02-08-2014, 05:42 PM

546 posts, read 817,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Not to mention the doofus next to her who wouldn't have been caught dead downtown 5 years ago...
Hey that is me! No, all kidding aside, that girl was not a likely prospect to be downtown either.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:38 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Hey that is me! No, all kidding aside, that girl was not a likely prospect to be downtown either.
Psh that guy's probably never even heard of the Minutemen. Agree about the girl - but it's good DTLA now has draws that attract these types, it takes all kinds.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:38 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Quote:
No, it's not and it won't.

The downtown condo market is gamed and rigged bad at the moment.

I point to to non sale of the Garfield Building, the one across the street from it, and also the vacant building at 7th/grand(or is it Olive?) as proof. The new rentals coming in are going to depress rents, if say six buildings(instead of three) went up in the next two years it would crush rents.

Already you have essex purposely holding units off market to keep rents high, the market is at saturation in DTLA and additional units will drive rents down over the next two years.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:54 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
Those condos aren't going to go very far below the current floor of $500,000, given the very high prices for land throughout the state due to environmental restrictions and a ton of other items.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:41 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
No, it's not and it won't.

The downtown condo market is gamed and rigged bad at the moment.

I point to to non sale of the Garfield Building, the one across the street from it, and also the vacant building at 7th/grand(or is it Olive?) as proof. The new rentals coming in are going to depress rents, if say six buildings(instead of three) went up in the next two years it would crush rents.

Already you have essex purposely holding units off market to keep rents high, the market is at saturation in DTLA and additional units will drive rents down over the next two years.
I doubt it.

As DTLA continues to polish up, prices for condos will only increase. They're already high now, even though the more urbane amenities commonly associated with the Westside have yet to set up shop. They're on their way though, make no mistake about it.

The question is--how far will the new/retrofitted housing stretch? Could the entire freeway loop turn residential within 20 years? With the LA river restoration, I think it's a distinct possibility.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:47 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
I doubt it.

As DTLA continues to polish up, prices for condos will only increase. They're already high now, even though the more urbane amenities commonly associated with the Westside have yet to set up shop. They're on their way though, make no mistake about it.

The question is--how far will the new/retrofitted housing stretch? Could the entire freeway loop turn residential within 20 years? With the LA river restoration, I think it's a distinct possibility.

Very Very Possible... There is still a lot of room South of Olympic and around Little Tokyo that can developed. I can see DTLA in the 100,000 pop. range in the next 5 years. It really helps we do not have any NIMBYS in DTLA.

Last edited by Count David; 02-11-2014 at 08:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles