Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 12:12 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

First, the negative. I'm not so attracted to the sprawl, the high cost of living, the gang culture at ground zero, the car dependency, or Hollywood (which others might be attracted to).

That being said, something about Los Angeles is also so damn attractive and irresistable from an image perspective. Seeing communities of every types of people throughout the world, creating their own neighborhoods and stores and such. The near perfect the weather. The miles of beaches. The home of so much great music that comes out of there as well. The fact that that culture, spreads itself out throughout the world through films and movies. An epicenter of sorts.

At times, I think Los Angeles would be a great place to make home! On the other hand, would the interesting things become less interesting, if struggling with a high cost of living, sprawl, freeways, etc.

Who's to say? But, whatever the case, Los Angeles continues to mesmerize from afar.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 12-30-2013 at 12:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 12:50 PM

546 posts, read 817,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
First, the negative. I'm not so attracted to the sprawl, the high cost of living, the gang culture at ground zero, the car culture, the Hollywood movie industry nor Disney, etc.
Some pretty standard stereotypical comments for a guy as well traveled as you (I've seen some of your other posts).

Gang culture? Maybe a relevant comment in 1992 but crime has fallen dramatically the last 15 years or so. Disneyland is located in Orange County. Don't worry, you won't get assaulted by Mickey Mouse.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:52 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
First, the negative. I'm not so attracted to the sprawl, the high cost of living, the gang culture at ground zero, the car culture, the Hollywood movie industry nor Disney, etc.

That being said, something about Los Angeles is also so damn attractive and irresistable from an image perspective. Seeing communities of every types of people throughout the world, creating their own neighborhoods and stores and such. The near perfect the weather. The miles of beaches. The home of so much great music that comes out of there as well. The fact that that culture, spreads itself out throughout the world through films and movies. An epicenter of sorts.

At times, I think Los Angeles would be a great place to make home! On the other hand, would the interesting things become less interesting, if struggling with a high cost of living, sprawl, freeways, etc.

Who's to say? But, whatever the case, Los Angeles continues to mesmerize from afar.
The image someone has from afar is different from the image people have if they live there. And LA is a chameleon of a city--your view of what it's like can change dramatically depending on which neighborhood you live in, and what groups of people you like to hang out with. I lived near the beach, a very different experience than someone might have living in Watts, or near UCLA, or in the Valley, or Malibu, or in Pasadena, or in those sylvan canyon neighborhoods. Pretty much any lifestyle you want can be found there, except possibly the winter sports lifestyle--and even that is just 2 hours way if you're willing to drive up to Big Bear.

Therefore a person judging the city from afar can't really gauge what it's like to live there. Still, I think you would love living there, TB--if you can afford it. The high cost of living there is one big hurdle.

A few comments on the negatives you mentioned:

--the sprawl. In a way, LA's sprawl isn't as big of an issue as it is in other cities. This is because no matter which section of LA you live in, everything can be found where you live. So even though you may be surrounded by a giant sea of a city you don't experience most of it. Many people do everything within a 10-mile or so radius of their home. When I lived in Manhattan Beach, I never worked more than 5 miles from my house. All the stores I needed, included a mall, was within 1 mile. Hospitals, libraries, government centers, and a community college were within 2 miles. I only left the South Bay to go to major events like concerts. I actually lived without a car for a few years and found it very walkable.

--the high cost of living. This is the big downside to living in southern California.

--the gang culture at ground zero. Not sure where ground zero is. But, FWIW, I never ran into gang culture. You can find it in certain neighborhoods, but there are also plenty of neighborhoods where it's not an issue at all. Many people live their whole lives in the LA area and never have to deal with gangs. When I lived in the South Bay I felt safe enough that I walked home from the bus stop after dark. In the 20+ years I lived there, I never had any frightening encounters and never came across any gangs, although I saw some gang-ish graffiti from time to time. To be honest I think most of that was from school kids trying to look tough. In other parts of town, of course, gangs may be more common.

--the car culture. If you want to find car buffs, you can easily find them in LA. At the same time, if cars aren't your thing it's easy to find lots and lots of other people who couldn't care less about cars.

--the Hollywood movie industry and Disney. Tourists go to Disneyland, people who live there don't visit it all that much. You might go every few years but that's bout it. It's not like Disney is part of your every day life if you live in LA (unless you work there). The movie industry is a bigger deal in some parts of town, since it's a major local employer. But it's another one of those things that's easy to avoid if movie industry people aren't your cup of tea.

Last edited by Caladium; 12-30-2013 at 01:08 PM..

Old 12-30-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
--the sprawl. In a way, LA's sprawl isn't as big of an issue as it is in other cities. This is because no matter which section of LA you live in, everything can be found where you live. So many people do everything within a 10-mile or so radius of their home. When I lived in Manhattan Beach, I never worked more than 5 miles from my house. All the stores I needed, included a mall, was within mile. Hospitals, libraries, government centers, and a community college were within 2 miles. I only left the South Bay to go to concerts and things like that. I actually lived without a car for a few years and found it very walkable.
I like this response quite a bit. You've made me look at the Metro of Los Angeles a little bit differently than before, in a much more positive way.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:36 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Why do ppl associate sprawl with LA these days? It's not such a sprawled out mess to me. It's actually pretty urban and dense.

Gang culture is long gone and in a few pockets outside into the worst parts of the valley.

LA does have an irresistible image and the while city just breathes inspiration.

How long are these left over misconceptions from the 80s and 90s going to plague LA?

Old 12-30-2013, 03:44 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Why do ppl associate sprawl with LA these days? It's not such a sprawled out mess to me. It's actually pretty urban and dense.

Gang culture is long gone and in a few pockets outside into the worst parts of the valley.

LA does have an irresistible image and the while city just breathes inspiration.

How long are these left over misconceptions from the 80s and 90s going to plague LA?

When the rail system goes to all the major hubs in LA, DTLA is finished, & Hollywood is cleaned up. So, A good 5-10 years.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:03 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
When the rail system goes to all the major hubs in LA, DTLA is finished, & Hollywood is cleaned up. So, A good 5-10 years.
I think it's funny that many people don't even know there's a subway system in LA.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:02 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I think it's funny that many people don't even know there's a subway system in LA.
Well, our subway system is pretty short. In other major cities, their subway systems would be many times more extensive.

But, we do have pretty good light rail and commuter rail systems. All put together, it's a good start, but it still has a looong way to go since this region is so massive.

IMO, we can start by reforming Metrolink and making it more accessible to non-commuters in terms of fares and schedules.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post

The misconceptions will continue for a long time, but they change in time when it becomes clear that 'Portland isn't a bunch of lumberjacks', or 'Pittsburgh is no longer Hell with the Lid Off'' - refering to the pollution from the iron mills.

I have been researching L.A., and interesting to read that it has such density of population. I've driven through LA, and hard to see as a visitor. But, living there, I'm inclined to agree that what you say is probably quite true. Plus, I quite liked Caladium's description of it.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:04 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMersh View Post
Gang culture? Maybe a relevant comment in 1992 but crime has fallen dramatically the last 15 years or so.
True, but many people put that down to Three Strikes.

And now that Jerry Brown has begun releasing prisoners due to over-crowding, ignoring Three Strikes, some people think that crime will soon go up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles