Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 12:59 AM

7 posts, read 17,638 times

Advertisements

With some of the finest housing stock in all of Los Angeles, freeway accessible central location, and almost all LA areas north of Pico Bl becoming ever increasingly unaffordable in terms of both sale and rental prices, I see a serious uptick in southward movement to the area between La Brea, DTLA, Pico, and Adams. (Go as far north as Olympic East of Western Ave.)

Just to the west of LaBrea Ave in the more gentrified part of mid city, huge money is being spent in midtown crossing installing a planted median down the center of Pico and the palor of the businesses is changing.

I am of the opinion that the La Brea/Downtown/Pico(Olympic)/Adams cubic area is poised for a gentrification explosion in the next few years.

What are your thoughts? Do you agree or disagree? Why?

Last edited by IlluminatedLA; 01-04-2014 at 01:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 01:07 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,464,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatedLA View Post
With some of the finest housing stock in all of Los Angeles, freeway accessible central location, and almost all LA areas north of Pico Bl becoming ever increasingly unaffordable in terms of both sale and rental prices, I see a serious uptick in southward movement to the area between La Brea, DTLA, Pico, and Adams.

The city is spending huge money in midtown crossing installing a planted median down the center of Pico and the palor of the businesses is changing.

I am of the opinion that this area is poised for a gentrification explosion in the next few years.

Disagree. Memories of the riots, the Trayvon BS and the "knockout game" scare (even if there is little evidence these attacks have taken place in L.A.) will keep gentrification out of much of that area. Pico-Union's fearsome reputation would deter gentrification in that part of the area you're referring to.

The exceptions are the area right around USC, which is already gentrifying, and the northwesternmost parts of that area.

More likely that gentrification will take place deeper into the Valley than in the area where Mid City meets South L.A.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:47 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,973,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Disagree. Memories of the riots, the Trayvon BS and the "knockout game" scare (even if there is little evidence these attacks have taken place in L.A.) will keep gentrification out of much of that area. Pico-Union's fearsome reputation would deter gentrification in that part of the area you're referring to.

The exceptions are the area right around USC, which is already gentrifying, and the northwesternmost parts of that area.

More likely that gentrification will take place deeper into the Valley than in the area where Mid City meets South L.A.
That area has already been gentrifying for the last 5 years. So your wrong.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:25 AM

367 posts, read 668,371 times
Quote:

The valley will be gentrify right before Palmdale will. There's nothing of value there for young 'progressives'. They will move into minority neighborhoods regardless of whatever boogieman trend the media hypes up.

This range of areas will gentrify differently than silver lake / echo park did though. It will be professionals who can afford the great housing stock who move in first while the hipsters are going south and east of downtown

Old 01-04-2014, 01:07 PM

546 posts, read 813,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatedLA View Post

I am of the opinion that the La Brea/Downtown/Pico(Olympic)/Adams cubic area is poised for a gentrification explosion in the next few years.

There are a few pockets of good housing stock left. I can see those areas getting gentrified. But plenty of areas where the original (cute) housing stock was torn down for crappy looking 1960's or 1970's apartments. Or the remaining homes have been altered so many times that the old character is gone. One example is Pico-Union. There are some cool, old apartment houses or even single-family homes. But for the most part there is no large grouping or blocks of good in tact housing with character.

Pico-Union may still gentrify (10, 20 years, etc?) but plenty of that will be complete tear downs to build new.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:38 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,184,800 times
There is great housing stock in Southwest LA, Morningside & Circle Park area but that is south of Adams. I think that change in this area is dependent on the Hollywood Park development, how the Crenshaw line impacts Leimert Park, and perhaps further development of Market St. in Inglewood. There is lots of residential development here, but the area really needs an infusion of new business. The plans for new bike lanes within the next 5 years will help as well. There are also a bunch of unsavory apartments that need tear downs and updating.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:03 PM

5,861 posts, read 15,177,168 times
I agree with the OP. One area that I toured recently was the West Adams area. Lots of history and alot of the big old homes are being refurbished and I see the people moving into these homes are majority white. I am truely amazed at the housing stock. The homes are beautiful. I even found the former home of Hattie McDaniel, the oscar winning african american actress who played the maid on Gone With The Wind.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:24 PM

5,861 posts, read 15,177,168 times
Quote:

I completely disagree with this. I just think anything on this side of the mountains will take place before the SFV. Imo its the heart and soul of LA. In this case people want to be close to jobs, cultural amenities, nightlife, great restaurants, good public transportation, walkable neighborhoods. At least I do.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:24 PM

546 posts, read 813,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I completely disagree with this. I just think anything on this side of the mountains will take place before the SFV. Imo its the heart and soul of LA. In this case people want to be close to jobs, cultural amenities, nightlife, great restaurants, good public transportation, walkable neighborhoods. At least I do.
I agree especially when there are pockets of character like West Adams or Jefferson Park. The new Expo line has to help as well.

With the high crime years (late 80's/early 90's) a fading memory I think areas like West Adams/Jefferson Park have a lot of pontential. The are closer in to everything and the weather and air quality is better than the valley.

I grew up in the valley. Not much character (or intersting hoods) to gentrify in the valley.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:12 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,184,800 times
South LA Alleys To Be Turned Into Mini-Parks - Green Space - Curbed LA

Weird concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles