Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 12:46 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times

Advertisements

Culver City Ice Arena to close doors - Los Angeles Wave: News

I remember going here when I was younger even though I never really learned how to ice skate.

Apparently it's going to become :

Planet Granite, a Bay Area company, has agreed to take over the facility to operate a rock-climbing, yoga and fitness center, the Los Angeles Times has reported.

I can't imagine how many rock climbing, yoga or fitness classes you'd need to support $68,000 a month in rent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 01:19 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,799 times
That sucks. This was walking distance from my house as a kid. I would go there all the time. I feel for the kids on the local hockey team.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:24 PM

I guess this company must know what they are doing ...or one would think..since they have 4 other locations.

Planet Granite Climbing Yoga & Fitness Gym | Planet Granite Climbing Yoga & Fitness

Old 01-17-2014, 01:33 PM

546 posts, read 817,713 times
I used to ice skate/play ice hockey at the ice rink at Topanga Plaza mall in the SF Valley in the early 1980's. They closed it down and turned it into a food court in about 1986.

Times change and apparently the market for granite climbing/yoga is stronger than the market for ice skating. But I will admit I'd rather play ice hockey than climb on fake indoor rocks anyday.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:40 PM

They do have an outdoor ice rink at Topagna now during the winter . Interesting though about the one in the early 1980s.

Yeah I just don't see rock climbing and yoga generatnig that much money..but looks like the place has a monthly fee like a gym.

$75 monthly for an individual , so they would need almost 1,000 members just to pay rent. I'm sure they have other profit centers too though.

Planet Granite Membership Rates | Planet Granite Climbing Yoga & Fitness

Old 01-17-2014, 01:48 PM

This company sounds like they gave the owner an offer they couldn't refuse. The ice rink was a link back to the Culver City I knew and loved. Business was improving there too. This new climbing and yoga center just seems douchey.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:28 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,084 times
Gonna miss that rink.

I've only been there a few times, mostly when I was a kid, but I'd walk passed it or dad, especially after he would take me to check out the train sets that use to be shown in the windows of that one store that is now a camera store. Good times.

Even driving passed it as I got older, I would still see a good amount of people going in, but in the back of my mind I knew it was only a matter of times.

The drive-in, train store of my childhood, and now the ice rink are gone.

Time flies.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:09 PM

192 posts, read 326,324 times
I remember skating there as a kid and falling every time I attempted a hockey stop. will be missed

Old 01-17-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Gonna miss that rink.

I've only been there a few times, mostly when I was a kid, but I'd walk passed it or dad, especially after he would take me to check out the train sets that use to be shown in the windows of that one store that is now a camera store. Good times.

Even driving passed it as I got older, I would still see a good amount of people going in, but in the back of my mind I knew it was only a matter of times.

The drive-in, train store of my childhood, and now the ice rink are gone.

Time flies.
Allied Trains is still there, but in a smaller space further north on Sepulveda.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:18 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
Allied Trains is still there, but in a smaller space further north on Sepulveda.
Yeah, but it's sad compared to what it once was. They have like one window display.

I use to be in awe after passing by each window, it was pretty awesome, but it seemed like the place was never open. Considering all of the times I would check out the displays, I think I was only ever able to go in like a handful of times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles