Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 11:13 AM

223 posts, read 520,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
That's a pretty large slice of land to avoid altogether. This also includes the Linda Vista area on the other side of the bowl. My guess is you're talking about living in, not just passing through? If the second, that's a tad extreme.
West up to a few blocks from the Rose Bowl then. It is a large chunk, and I only mean living in. Though I do drive through and some areas are still rough to drive through. It probably depends if you grew up in LA or are from out of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 12:12 AM

16 posts, read 44,397 times
I go to 24 hr fitness everyday and aside from the one in Hermosa Beach, all of them are so-so, some are like a POS hole SMH. The one in Moreno Valley sucks, the one in DTLA is ok to below average, you have several in Irvine that are ok, i hear the one in Old Town Pasadena kinda sucks, but I have always heard Altadena is really nice. If I do move to Pasadena i definitely want to workout there although i'm not sure if it is worth driving through the hood to get there?

Look at the map it looks like it is on Lincoln, people say that street is hood especially if you go south of 24 hr fitness? Looks like you have to drive by Muir HS and people say that area around that school is really bad? Why is that HS so bad? And why are the public school system in Psadena/Altadena so bad? Is it because all the parents with money send their kids to a private school while all the NW or North pasadena middle to lower class people send their kids to the public school system?

So the corner of Woodbury and Lincoln is where the gym is at, the parking structure is huge and guarded by security, that area is safe according to Hyperion, so where do you avoid driving or going towards especially at night. I normally leave the gym after 8PM, so i get that walking to your car should be safe....now which way do I avoid to not put myself at a risk of a drive by.

I grew up in many cities, moved around a lot as a kid to college so i'm use to many diff areas but now that I am much older I don't need to put myself through dumb decision, if it is avoidable i want to be smart and not act like in my early 20s where i thought nothing in this world scares me lol.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:22 AM

26,580 posts, read 26,445,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGuyHere View Post
Looks like you have to drive by Muir HS and people say that area around that school is really bad? Why is that HS so bad? And why are the public school system in Psadena/Altadena so bad? Is it because all the parents with money send their kids to a private school while all the NW or North pasadena middle to lower class people send their kids to the public school system?
That might be it, although some of the elementary schools in Pasadena are improving. Some would say that the low scores are a result of busing in the 1960s, but PUSD ranked fairly low on state tests before then.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:30 PM

223 posts, read 520,590 times
The 24 hour fitness has had a lot of car break ins over the last year or so. At one point it was multiple cars every day/night. The gym is pretty nice though. One thing I know about Muir is that a lot of professional athletes have come out of there.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:33 AM

So it isn't that safe to workout at that 24 if there are vehicle breakin....i thought there were security?

Old 01-21-2014, 12:12 PM

401 posts, read 763,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGuyHere View Post
So it isn't that safe to workout at that 24 if there are vehicle breakin....i thought there were security?
I have a friend (girl) who works out there, and I'd say it's safe. However, be street smart and don't leave valuables in your car. As Buzzkillb points out, that 24 hour Fitness has been notorious for parking lot break-ins.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkillb View Post
One thing I know about Muir is that a lot of professional athletes have come out of there.
That's right, Jackie Robinson went there! I knew he went to a school in Pasadena and just checked, it is Joh Muir HS. Another interesting thing is Rodney King also came out of Muir. Ryan Hollins of the Clippers also graduated from there.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:21 PM

33 posts, read 68,191 times
I know this is an old thread but I just want to chime in saying that Northwest Pasadena is really gentrifying. Every house I see going for sale by a family that has lived there for generations is being sold to young professional families or flippers (who then sell to young professional families). NW Pas is tricky in the sense that one block can be quite beautiful and affluent but the next block over will be pretty janky, so you can't generalize for the whole area. But even in the "dangerous" areas, I feel completely safe walking around and people are friendly. It's not the same NW Pasadena that it was 10 years ago. As for the original poster, who has probably found his apartment by now, I would recommend living as close to Colorado as possible, between Lake and Fair Oaks. You don't necessarily need to live in Old Town. The Playhouse District is great, too.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:20 AM

3 posts, read 4,476 times
Pasadena is getting less parking friendly. Places I used to park for free where I did not mind parking away from my destination and would just walk the extra block or two now have meters. ANY street parking with meters is enforced 24 hours a day, 7 days a week! Unlike many cities with parking meters are free to use after a certain hour, and Sundays being free, it is not the case in Pasadena. It is also against the law in Pasadena to have cars parked in the street anywhere after 2am - you will be ticketed. The only way you can park on the street after 2am is if you have a permit on your car.

These can be purchased from a kiosk located in front of any Pasadena Fire station, and can be purchased for 1 night, more than 1 night, or up to 1 month. Officers can't hit every street every night, so you take your chances.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:38 PM

126 posts, read 322,709 times
HyperionGap, this is the BEST COMMENT ON CITY-DATA.

"Do I think someone will come in and blow your head off to steal your shoes if you were to live there? No. But I certainly wouldn't make it a regular thing to go walking around that area after dark, either."

LOL LOL LOLLLLL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles