Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 10:52 PM

3 posts, read 7,116 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I’m a single female and I just accepted a job at the USC Health Science campus starting Jan 08. I’ve never been to LA and thus would appreciate any suggestions I get about living there. Thank you in advance.

1) I would like to rent an apt (studio or 1-bedroom) in a safe area that is also lively. My typical work hours are 10am-8pm Mon-Fri and a few hours on Sat and Sun. I’ve heard a lot about the notorious LA traffic, so I’m hoping I would not have to spend hours commuting everyday. Due to my hours (and me being single), I also want a location where I can go to coffee shops, bars and restaurants easily after work to unwind.

2) My budget is 1200 max. Can I get a nice apt with that budget?

3) Long Beach sounds like an interesting place to live in. Is the commute from LB to USC tolerable?

I will also have a car then. And please, spare no details because I’m totally lost when it comes to areas in LA.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 10:17 AM

9 posts, read 40,807 times
Okay, HSC is not really the USC area you hear about. So, when people tell you USC is in S. Central, tell them, you're at their Health Science Facility.

Personally, I think Long Beach would be a great option for you. Especially because of your work hours. You can find a nice $1200 Studio or 1 Bedroom in Long Beach, look in the Belmont Shore area, and in the Downtown LB area.

I also like Pasadena, however, it is a little more pricey in my opinion.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:46 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Long Beach may be a bit of a commute for you. Try pasadena or los feliz. You can also look into the southern areas of Burbank (i.e, near Hollywood Way/Chandler area.

When I lived in Toluca Lake, I used to do volunteer work for IRB at HSC and USC Med center, the commute was very, very doable. I dont think you would enjoy a Long Beach commute.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:36 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,023,638 times
Someone else who recently got a job at USC's Health Sciences Campus posted a similar thread not too long ago. Here's the link.

//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...-near-usc.html

Old 10-20-2007, 01:21 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,635,999 times
if i worked in that area, i'd live in pasadena-- without question.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:56 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Pasadena is the closest good place for you. In Long Beach, you would get more bang for your buck though.
studio apartment (broken link)

Personally, I prefer Long Beach. Since you are just renting, try out Long Beach for a little bit and if you find the commute too great, move to Pasadena or Glendale.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:00 AM

320 posts, read 1,732,880 times
I prefer South Pasadena to Pasadena but botha re great choices. SPas is a little smaller and more "quaint" has a small town feel to the neighborhoods, IMO

Old 10-22-2007, 12:32 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfSoCal View Post
I prefer South Pasadena to Pasadena but botha re great choices. SPas is a little smaller and more "quaint" has a small town feel to the neighborhoods, IMO
Well I meant the Pasadena area in general. I didn't want to get too specific since the person isn't even sure which side of USC HCS they want.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:58 PM

2 posts, read 21,212 times
Default Yes pasadena

Yes, look in pasadena/south pasadena/North alhambra before you look in Long Beach. LB commute could be terrible. You can get to SC on surface streets from South Pas easily if you need to. Plus, over all the area is safer than long beach.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:29 AM

635 posts, read 1,746,403 times
Fact: South Central is not going to hurt you if your driving in your car through it.
Fact: U.S.C. does not resemble South Central and is located on the most northwest part of South Central, and gangmembers do not come onto campus and into dorms preying rich college kids or faculty. If they did, many parents and kids would have second thoughts about attending the university, and the police would be all over anyone who looks like a gangmember.

Just want to clear that up for people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles