U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2014, 03:25 PM

5 posts, read 8,577 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am starting UCLA next fall (transfer student) and will start looking for apartments soon.
Could someone please advise which streets/areas are quiet around UCLA? I looked around the forum, could not find anything. I did find areas that are quiet that you can reach by bus from UCLA, but I would really prefer it if I could walk to campus.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 04:00 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,127,491 times
Can you define what is quiet to you?

Hilgard on the east side has traffic and lots of buses going through. No parties because of Sorority row.

On the west side Gayley and Landfair have the Fraternities and there is always a party. Avoid the central part of these two streets. Upper and lower Gayley are regualr apartments. There are apartment parties in many apartments on weekends and noise is similar if you lived a normal apartment and someone next door is having a party. Noise dies down after a while. Otherwise I dont find UCLA students really loud or big partiers. All those other streets have lots of apartments mostly of UCLA students who walk to school. There is sometimes lots of traffic because some students are trying to find free parking or whatnot. There are some newer apartments south of LeConte along Weyburn; One is near the City Target and the other which I think are Grad school apartments are the opposite end of Westwood Village.

South of Wilshire are more apartment complexes. Typically quiet except for cars. Students mostly walk home from the school, from the UCLA shuttle or any bus, or bike. Many of these small side streets are often used as alternate routes to avoid huge traffic along Veteran, Westwood, Wilshire and Santa Monica. If you want quiet, then find an interior/back apartment. Not something that faces the street.

Have you looked into Transfer student housing? I did this and it was a great experience. It's like freshman dorm living but with older and mature upperclassmen.

Pros/Cons of living in different parts of Westwood.

West part of UCLA Gayley-Veteran. very hilly, sometimes steep, and walk to classroom /lecture buildings at North and South Campus is about 20-30 mins depending on where your apartment building is. I lived off Veteran and had most classes north of Royce Hall. No buses that I know of. Getting groceries down in the Village was a pain because of the hills. Good part is you get lots of exercise and see a lot of the campus and pass lots of campus events. Also the sports/gym facilities are more accessible. You can also easily walk home take a nap and get back for a later class.

South of Wilshire. While a slightly longer walk, it is all flat from Le Conte down. It is only hilly once you are on campus. You can walk to the grocery store or other shops on the way to/from home. There are numerous buses that go along Westwood and most turn right towards Hilgard Takes sometimes 5 minute and sometimes 20 minutes depending on traffic. Most transit students catch the bus on Hilgard and Westholme. The UCLA shuttle bus may have changed their route, but it used to go around North/South campus and down to Wilshire. I always thought it was a pain to watch night games at Pauly Pavillion or movies at Ackerman, and other events and even study group meetings.

Last edited by saybanana; 01-18-2014 at 04:41 PM..

Old 01-18-2014, 04:28 PM

Thanks for your reply saybanana.
I am mostly looking for areas that don't have a lot of parties. I understand that if you have a street facing apartment it will not be completely quiet, in any case.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:55 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 12,487,525 times
Do you have a budget? UCLA/Westwood is super expensive.

I used to live right next to campus in the area that is supposed to be the loudest, but I never had an issue. The only noise problem I encountered was being so close to Ronald Reagan/UCLA hospital, and could hear ambulances sometimes.

I don't think you'll have an issue with noise. But as with any big city neighborhood, it will be impossible for things to be completely quiet.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:33 PM

Hi PDF,

well my budget is 1400 dollars/month max (if I can get it under 1400, that would really be great. If not, it's okay.)
As I said, I understand that it will never be completely quiet in LA, but in general I am looking for areas where there aren't many parties.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:16 AM

7 posts, read 6,241 times
Lot of students live on the west side, but like someone said, there are some hilly areas and some are steep..Westwood is a unique and beautiful place, but expensive. Of course it seems that half of the students drive BMWs too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles