U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 03:52 PM

11 posts, read 33,649 times

Advertisements

Hi all:
I need some urgent help. I am moving from Spain to Los Angeles mid December. I need to rent a furnish apartment but it seems that all the units are unfurnish. I am looking into West Hollywood area and surundings. Any idea???
I have to cummute to the proximities of Universal Studios. Anybody knows how is the traffic towards that area? I will be in LA on the 13th and I already rent a hotel room for a week to view some properties, but I cannot find any of them with furniture for less than $1500. Help , please.
Thanks in advance...
Rob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 04:15 PM

332 posts, read 2,022,783 times
check out Apartment Rentals in Los Angeles, Orange County and San Diego

Old 11-28-2007, 04:15 PM

2,574 posts, read 7,882,346 times
try oakwood apartments in burbank. they have furnished units, and it's very close to universal. however, i don't think you'll find anything furnished in your stated price range. they're generally considered short-term rentals, and are priced accordingly. if you're going to be here more than six months, rent an unfurnished place. IKEA is cheap, and also in burbank.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
try oakwood apartments in burbank. they have furnished units, and it's very close to universal. however, i don't think you'll find anything furnished in your stated price range. they're generally considered short-term rentals, and are priced accordingly. if you're going to be here more than six months, rent an unfurnished place. IKEA is cheap, and also in burbank.
Thanks for your advisek, katenik. I would like to move in West Hollywood. I will be there for more than 6 months, but I find weird to buy a bed, a sofa, tables... just for this period of time. Everybody is doing the same in LA??? I think that the furniture business is quite strong there. May be rent furniture o buy second hand from people that is moving abroad is another option... What do you think??? I don't want to pay a plus to live in a shortterm rental. Also, do you think that driving, West Hollywood is far from Universal?
thanks again, and thanks to Rats also, I am looking this webside.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:38 PM

furniture rental is a rip-off. you can furnish a small apartment for under $1K if you don't care about the quality of your mattress, and $500 more if you do. renters don't generally buy the high-end stuff they plan to keep forever, and most people i know who want to get rid of furniture just give it away to anyone with the vehicle to haul it because it wasn't valuable to begin with. you could also sell it for about a quarter of the purchase price when you're done with it. unless you need to entertain in style in your home, there's no reason to believe that furniture will be a major expense.

west hollywood is not far from universal in terms of distance, but it can be a long, tedious drive at certain times of the day. is there something about west hollywood that you think would be missing if you lived closer to work? it isn't the only gay-friendly area, if that's your concern.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
furniture rental is a rip-off. you can furnish a small apartment for under $1K if you don't care about the quality of your mattress, and $500 more if you do. renters don't generally buy the high-end stuff they plan to keep forever, and most people i know who want to get rid of furniture just give it away to anyone with the vehicle to haul it because it wasn't valuable to begin with. you could also sell it for about a quarter of the purchase price when you're done with it. unless you need to entertain in style in your home, there's no reason to believe that furniture will be a major expense.

west hollywood is not far from universal in terms of distance, but it can be a long, tedious drive at certain times of the day. is there something about west hollywood that you think would be missing if you lived closer to work? it isn't the only gay-friendly area, if that's your concern.
I have some reasons to chose West Hollywood. I will be living with my boyfriend. He doens't need to commute and he would like to live in an area with entertainment close to the house, in walking distance (he is not driving). Thats why I chose West Hollywood. I don't know anything about Burbank, but may be he doesn't like it. We visit LA in June, and we thought about this area... may be I am wrong. It is dificult... How long it will take me the joutney to Universal by car?? Is it more than 30 o 40 minutes? I have to travel normally around 8:30 am and return around 6:30 o 7 PM (peak time).
Regarding the furniture, I think that I am going to folllow your advice and I will rent an unfurnish apartment and I will get staff from IKEA, Ebay and Craigslist. What about the Fridge, Cook and Oven and Washing Machine? Is this included??
Everything is so different from Spain. Here is all included. I am very nervious for many things (driving, life style, people...) but I think that I will love it. In my previous visit I was quite impress with the great character of the citizens, that is the more important aspect for me. They make me feel happy since I speak with the first person in the morning.
Thanks again. Great Help.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoberCanu View Post
I have some reasons to chose West Hollywood. I will be living with my boyfriend. He doens't need to commute and he would like to live in an area with entertainment close to the house, in walking distance (he is not driving). Thats why I chose West Hollywood. I don't know anything about Burbank, but may be he doesn't like it. We visit LA in June, and we thought about this area... may be I am wrong. It is dificult... How long it will take me the joutney to Universal by car?? Is it more than 30 o 40 minutes? I have to travel normally around 8:30 am and return around 6:30 o 7 PM (peak time).
Regarding the furniture, I think that I am going to folllow your advice and I will rent an unfurnish apartment and I will get staff from IKEA, Ebay and Craigslist. What about the Fridge, Cook and Oven and Washing Machine? Is this included??
Everything is so different from Spain. Here is all included. I am very nervious for many things (driving, life style, people...) but I think that I will love it. In my previous visit I was quite impress with the great character of the citizens, that is the more important aspect for me. They make me feel happy since I speak with the first person in the morning.
Thanks again. Great Help.
robert,

west hollywood to universal city and back is not the worst commute, by any stretch. however, it is the type of commute that is particularly annoying to many of us who live here, because a trip that should take 15 minutes, based upon distance alone, can easily stretch to 45 in traffic. your travel time will put you in the thick of it, and because those two points are on opposite sides of "the hill" (the mountains that separate the san fernando valley from the rest of LA), there are only two basic routes for traveling between them that make any sense: laurel canyon or the 101 freeway/cahuenga pass. if you live on the western side of west hollywood, the latter doesn't make sense, either, so you're down to one very congested canyon road. if you can put up with that, i'm sure you'll love living in west hollywood. it certainly is the hub of much of the excitement in town, and your boyfriend can walk to shopping and restaurants when you're at work.

i'm not trying to sell you on burbank. i mentioned it only because you were looking for a furnished place and oakwood is known to have them in abundance, and the property is close to the studios. however, it isn't in the area of burbank that is considered walkable, so it probably woudn't suit your needs, anyhow.

all apartments (of the size you will want) come with ranges for cooking; refrigerators are optional, so you might have to buy your own. dishwashers abound in units built in the 80s or later, particularly in the better neighborhoods, but are less common in older buildings. washing machines/dryers for laundry inside the units are uncommon, unless you rent a condo, house or duplex. generally, you'll share on-site facilities with your neighbors, or use a public laundry if your building doesn't have one. (if doing your own laundry isn't your thing, there's a place in west hollywood on doheny, south of santa monica blvd, that does a good job. you drop it off in the morning, and pick it up after work. they charge by the pound.)

i'm glad you are optimistic about your move. people who come here with your attitude usually love it!

Last edited by katenik; 11-29-2007 at 02:17 PM..

Old 11-29-2007, 02:01 PM

katenik, million thanks for your help. I think that an average of 30 o 40 min journey will be ok. I used to be a Sales Representative in London and my average journey by car it was 1 o 2 hours a day in each way. But I didn't use any car for the last 15 months and now I am a bit scare. Also ithe english way of driving is from the oposite side of the road (The english people try to do everything opposite to the rest of the world). I hope that I am going to get used to it. AH!!! How do you choose your car insurance??? I don't have any car and I supposse that is good to think about the model and the insurance at the same time, to avoid surprises.
Sorry to ask you that many questions. I cannot believe how many things I have to think of!!!! but I really think that I am going to like LA. From my point of view the most important thing of a city is the people, and I believe that the people of los angeles is fantastic. And you prove my point again.
Thanks

Old 11-29-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoberCanu View Post
katenik, million thanks for your help. I think that an average of 30 o 40 min journey will be ok. I used to be a Sales Representative in London and my average journey by car it was 1 o 2 hours a day in each way. But I didn't use any car for the last 15 months and now I am a bit scare. Also ithe english way of driving is from the oposite side of the road (The english people try to do everything opposite to the rest of the world). I hope that I am going to get used to it. AH!!! How do you choose your car insurance??? I don't have any car and I supposse that is good to think about the model and the insurance at the same time, to avoid surprises.
Sorry to ask you that many questions. I cannot believe how many things I have to think of!!!! but I really think that I am going to like LA. From my point of view the most important thing of a city is the people, and I believe that the people of los angeles is fantastic. And you prove my point again.
Thanks
questions are good; don't worry. these things take planning and preparation, and i'm here because i enjoy helping.

you'll have to shop around for car insurance, a much easier task now that there are websites designed to facilitate comparison shopping. you can also engage the services of an insurance broker to do it for you, but that's probably unneccessary. the rates will vary according to your age, driving record, the value of your vehicle, and the coverage limits you select. (i don't think they're allowed to consider your garage zip code anymore, but i might be wrong.) avoid any company that advertises itself as "high-risk." those are for people who have drunk-driving citations or too many tickets to get conventional auto insurance, but they'll sell you a high-risk policy even if you don't need it, and their rates are astronomical. make sure you get "uninsured motorists" coverage so you are protected in case you have the misfortune to be involved in an accident with one of the MANY unlicensed, uninsured drivers on the streets of LA.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:47 PM

Regarding the apartment, in many ads they said 1 year minimun lease. What does it mean exactly?. That means the contract is for 1 year and you cannot move before that, otherwise you will lose the dep., or you can give the usual 1 month notice and move out? I don't want to make a mistake with the contract. Probably I am not going to stay for more that 6 months in the same place.
Thanks for the info regarding car insurance. Shall I check the car insurance before buy my car o it is not important? I mean that may be the model of vehicle can affect the insurance (like if it is convertable model), apart of the value of the vehicle. I think that I will spend around $8000. Or may be cars around this price will get similar cost of insurance?
Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or