U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 09:01 AM

175 posts, read 680,203 times

Advertisements

This past weekend a good LA rock band played here in MN. I was talking to one of the band members who just moved to Las Vegas to buy a house. She has lived in LA for her whole life and she basically has the fear that Fastfilm talks about alot in this forum. This musician commented on the fact that her car is old and that she worries if it would break down in LA at night. Also, she stated that one does not go outside after dark....it is too dangerous. So hearing this from a lifelong LA resident, sure brings the truth home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 12:22 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,197,386 times
Hi music7lover. It's not so much fear as truth in commentary, and coping. As a photojournalist, semi- in the entertainment biz, and lifelong resident here, I have as many survival strategies as anyone who doesn't live in the primo areas.

Many of my friends are musicians, and to traverse around L.A. all hours of the night and morning is part of the job requirement. (Remember, no afterhours reliable public transportation here.)They all meet and travel together to the gigs in whatever the primary band transport is. Not all clubs are in glorious upscale hubs, particularly for those of us who love alternative and harder core music. I don't think any of them, even my tough Detroit rocker friend, wants to be lugging expensive equipment around in dangerous areas solo at 3 a.m. And if you're not rich, you live in one. Every genuine entertainment biz artist eventually finds themselves working to leave Los Angeles, however desperate they were to get here initially. Only the youngest party animals and obscenely wealthy are the exceptions.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:57 PM

17,444 posts, read 24,708,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Hi music7lover. It's not so much fear as truth in commentary, and coping. As a photojournalist, semi- in the entertainment biz, and lifelong resident here, I have as many survival strategies as anyone who doesn't live in the primo areas.

Many of my friends are musicians, and to traverse around L.A. all hours of the night and morning is part of the job requirement. (Remember, no afterhours reliable public transportation here.)
Do you think that's the real root of the problem? Perhaps if LA didn't sit on its ass with regards to public transport for so long, people would like it better today? I get a feeling that it may be.

They all meet and travel together to the gigs in whatever the primary band transport is. Not all clubs are in glorious upscale hubs, particularly for those of us who love alternative and harder core music. I don't think any of them, even my tough Detroit rocker friend, wants to be lugging expensive equipment around in dangerous areas solo at 3 a.m. And if you're not rich, you live in one. [/quote]

I can name some areas that aren't dangerous and which aren't rich either, and assuredly you can think of some as well.

Quote:
Every genuine entertainment biz artist eventually finds themselves working to leave Los Angeles, however desperate they were to get here initially.
Because of how expensive L.A.'s become. That's pushed people out. Stating that "every genuine entertainment biz artist" wants to leave L.A. is taking it too far, there are people who stick around. Venice has a large number of genuine entertainment biz artists who live there, like living there, and who stuck it out through the bad years, and who'd love to stay but gentrification is pushing them out.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:35 PM

1,287 posts, read 4,705,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by music7lover View Post
This past weekend a good LA rock band played here in MN. I was talking to one of the band members who just moved to Las Vegas to buy a house. She has lived in LA for her whole life and she basically has the fear that Fastfilm talks about alot in this forum. This musician commented on the fact that her car is old and that she worries if it would break down in LA at night. Also, she stated that one does not go outside after dark....it is too dangerous. So hearing this from a lifelong LA resident, sure brings the truth home.
Nobody goes outside after dark? Where was this person living? And, Las Vegas is certainly no bastion of safety and security. Its crime stats are much worse than LA's. On top of that, areas in the greater LA metro are consistently ranked among the safest in the nation (e.g. Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks, Santa Clarita, Irvine, and numerous other areas). So one doesn't need to move out of state just find a safe neighborhood. I think there is more to this person’s story or she is really fooling herself about Vegas. It sounds like her ability to buy a home might have been a bigger factor to move than safety issues.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:54 PM

240 posts, read 825,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerodam12 View Post
the traffic and gridlock is only a sign saying that a lot of people like to live there .
Actually, traffic and gridlock are signs of a poorly designed transportation infrastructure.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:27 AM

175 posts, read 680,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
Anyone else dizzy? However, if you live a faster lifestyle, as we do, L.A. works out well.

Whew!!... going to be a wild and fun ride living large in LA without any college education. Let's Party!!!!

Old 12-05-2007, 07:47 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,197,386 times
Actually, seventy years ago Los Angeles' urban public transportation was considered the most advanced in the world. We had light rail to the farthest reaches of the entire So Cal. basin, and clean, electric rail by trolley in the whole of our current urban area. It was planned, it was there, and it was dismantled forever by 1963. One could take rail public transport from, say, Culver City to San Bernardino. It was said one could travel from downtown to the beach in twenty minutes by same: one would need a helicopter to duplicate that commute now.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:19 PM

9 posts, read 35,387 times
Why do people come here? Because what people from LA know about LA and what people from OUTSIDE know about LA are usually 2 very different birds. LA could be a great city- but it's not. It's a wasteland of people who hate themselves and hate others. Wealthy people such as actors & entertainers are smart enough to WORK in LA and LIVE elsewhere- why is that? If this city is so great? LA is full of crime, homelessness, disallusionment & death. It's a possibility that never came to light or if it had light at one time, it's gone now. I live here becuase I can't afford to move, can't afford to leave, period. God's will is important to me and eventually, MAYBE I'll make peace with this evil environment, but I sincerely doubt it.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:36 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,156,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerodam12 View Post
This is for all you Los Angeles haters. If L.A. is so bad then why does so many people live there? I mean it's not even that terrible in L.A.. L.A. is a really wounderous place to live, the traffic and gridlock is only a sign saying that a lot of people like to live there and that its a big thriving city same thing with the smog which isn't all that bad smog is just a sign of a growing city. Just think of it this way, if L.A. was half bad as ya'll make it then why is hollywood still there, and why do people countinusly tend to live there. Sure L.A. has its ugly side but what city dosen't, I can name five cities off my head that are not that glamourus like San diego, New York City, Chicago, Washington D.C, and Detroit (oh wait you allready know that...LoL) any wayall iam tryin to say is don't count out L.A. just yet.
Most people that live in the Los Angeles area have no choice. Their family or jobs force them to stay in LA or they have no way to get out, Many leave as I did as soon as they retire. And not every city has a bad side. We have no gang problem or the style of people that belong to them. And no smog or high traffic.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:38 PM

723 posts, read 2,807,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
Most people that live in the Los Angeles area have no choice. Their family or jobs force them to stay in LA or they have no way to get out
Everyone has a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or