Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 10:39 PM

603 posts, read 844,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Cougar club , is that something you'd be interested in ?
lol I love older women, so yeah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 10:40 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,249,737 times
My sister lives in Pasadena and met a bunch of people in the Los Angeles area through meetup. Most of her meetup friends seem to be middle-aged women who like to go to clubs and on cruises. (I don't know if there are any cougars in the group.)

Old 01-23-2014, 08:58 AM

6 posts, read 6,393 times
i love, love love meet up, especially in california! i have found some of my closest friends through it, key thing to do is find groups that you love the activities and stay involved with them.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:00 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,767,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikefirefall View Post
I'm shy and would feel uncomfortable going alone
Did you know that alcohol is an anti inhibitor and makes people do things they don't normally do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livin42day365 View Post
i love, love love meet up, especially in california! i have found some of my closest friends through it, key thing to do is find groups that you love the activities and stay involved with them.
people tell me good thing about their meetup experience although I've never been to one. Are there social sports that you participate in? Pick up a basketball go to a park. Signup of beach volleyball class since about everyone you meet there will be transplants and probably won't know people either. If you are into those card games , find a comic shop. There are a bunch of parks and recs programs.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:28 AM

603 posts, read 844,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Did you know that alcohol is an anti inhibitor and makes people do things they don't normally do.

I'm not really into drinking.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:41 AM

5,951 posts, read 13,043,625 times
Meetup has been the core of my social life for quite a while now. Friends from high school and college are pretty much facebook friends now. My work life is somewhat autonomous, and those coworkers I do interact with regularly have families.

The reason why meetup is great for me, is that I connect much better with people over common interests, hobbies, passions, etc.

As others have noted in other online discussion forums, LA and California in general is a great place if you are into building community around common interests and activities more so than over geographic location and place. For that reason meetup groups seem much more numerous and much more well attended than back east.

IE: Chicago for a city its size, doesn't have nearly the # of meetup groups, nor the attendance, but is probably a better city if you want to make friends and build community around neighborhood organizations.

About two thirds of my meetup stuff I do, is outdoor exploration, hiking, etc. and about one third is other "city" stuff. (going out for drinks/restaurants, urban exploration, museums, performances, maybe dancing).

Old 01-28-2014, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 582 times
Hey there,
I tried meetup few times, In one word: average. I prefer Meetey

Old 01-28-2014, 02:23 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,043,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilian_H View Post
Hey there,
I tried meetup few times, In one word: average. I prefer Meetey
Never heard of that until now. Just looked it up.

Meetup I think is best for those who connect best with people over comment interests, hobbies, day trips, etc.

This is other site seems better for those who are more about their specific geographic location/neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles