Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 10:17 AM

78 posts, read 145,065 times

Advertisements

Hey,
So let's say you were living in SM and wanted to visit all those attractions (disneyland, rodeo , etc), is it close?

How about parties and all that?

Curious to see the cons of living there (although my #1 question is something else, ie if somebody visits me)

Thnx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 11:05 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
If you are living in L.A you usually don't go to disneyland or Rodeo drive too often..
At least most people don't.

Parties?...there are parties all over. If you mean like clubs, SM isn't in the middle of all that. It's more of a laid back atmopshere in that sense..while people that live there might have a lot of money they aren't really about being that showy. It's common to see a Prius rather than a Ferrari parked in the driveway of a $4million dollar house for example.

That's mostly in Hollywood, West Hollywood areas these days.

Santa Monica is viewed as a very desirable place to live for many reasons. There is the beach, good weather with ocean breeze. You can pretty much survive just living there without leaving the boundaries of Santa Monica if you chose too.

Cons would def be ..very high housing costs , traffic can be bad which is a big issue if you work somewhere else than Santa Monica.

Another con is the homeless issue ..Santa Monica is very liberal or at least has a liberal attitude with the homeless ...they don't really kick them out. For some people this isn't a big deal for others it is.

An interesting thing about Santa Monica is that there is a liberalism with some things but not everything. For example they are not liberal with the types of business they will allow. The residents there also fight development pretty strong..but that seems to be changing from what i've heard with many projects planned..

Not sure what you mean about if somebody visits you? ..

Old 01-24-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
If you are living in L.A you usually don't go to disneyland or Rodeo drive too often..
At least most people don't.

Parties?...there are parties all over. If you mean like clubs, SM isn't in the middle of all that. It's more of a laid back atmopshere in that sense..while people that live there might have a lot of money they aren't really about being that showy. It's common to see a Prius rather than a Ferrari parked in the driveway of a $4million dollar house for example.

That's mostly in Hollywood, West Hollywood areas these days.

Santa Monica is viewed as a very desirable place to live for many reasons. There is the beach, good weather with ocean breeze. You can pretty much survive just living there without leaving the boundaries of Santa Monica if you chose too.

Cons would def be ..very high housing costs , traffic can be bad which is a big issue if you work somewhere else than Santa Monica.

Another con is the homeless issue ..Santa Monica is very liberal or at least has a liberal attitude with the homeless ...they don't really kick them out. For some people this isn't a big deal for others it is.

An interesting thing about Santa Monica is that there is a liberalism with some things but not everything. For example they are not liberal with the types of business they will allow. The residents there also fight development pretty strong..but that seems to be changing from what i've heard with many projects planned..

Not sure what you mean about if somebody visits you? ..
Thanks, I plan to live in Santa Monica while attending CSU Northridge.

Do you think it's a bad idea? (Just don't tell me to live in northridge, i prefer the ocean etc).
Are there many young people in Santa Monica?

thnx

Old 01-24-2014, 11:28 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
Santa Monica is the most centrally located coastal part of LA county.

So while it's not in the heart of everything like Westwood or Hollywood, it's close enough to whatever you need. Not to mention that Santa MOnica itself has developed into a major world destination and has plenty of its own high end shopping, dining, and nightlife.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:31 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayBay View Post
Thanks, I plan to live in Santa Monica while attending CSU Northridge.

Do you think it's a bad idea? (Just don't tell me to live in northridge, i prefer the ocean etc).
Are there many young people in Santa Monica?

thnx
Just a warning: You are going to hate your commute. Santa Monica to Northridge is 22 miles, which is more like 60 miles in most other places.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Just a warning: You are going to hate your commute. Santa Monica to Northridge is 22 miles, which is more like 60 miles in most other places.

It's a 30min drive isn't it?

Old 01-24-2014, 11:36 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
Quote:
at 2am

Old 01-24-2014, 11:37 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Is there even anywhere in LA that is centrally located to anything? One can find everything they want in Santa Monica, it's a great place that has a lot going on. But LA is so big and spread out that you will never be close to it all.

LA is more about finding your spot.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:42 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
My commute is about 18 miles..but it can take up 1hr 30mins or more.

If you are find w/ commuting then go for it. Most people that live near the beach hardly go anyways but some like living near it for the ocean breeze.,etc.

Northridge is a decent area and there are other decent areas nearby but no its not a "L.A hotspot" or tourist destination.

Do you really picture yourself hanging at beach after busy days of classes and commuting?

Old 01-24-2014, 11:42 AM

where would you live if you studied at CSUN? (Northridge), I would like to be in a very nice area, close to the sea, and everything. SM seems like the best option, i'd be driving agianst traffic in the morning... that's what I found out with my research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles