Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 04:00 PM

360 posts, read 712,332 times

Advertisements

So, I’m in the marketing for a condo (sort of). I broke down and finally admitted to myself that I’m intrigued by downtown. I used to work down there and know the area well. I like the urban feel, the lounges, restaurants, etc.. and I’m sure it’s going to be the next big LA neighborhood to boom. It may take 10 years, but I feel like I should buy now while the prices are lower (than what they will be once it blossoms).

However, the condo prices are the same in downtown LA as they are in Santa Monica, West LA, and Brentwood. Why is it so expensive? It doesn’t have the cliche compared to other parts of LA such as the Westside, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Silver Lake, etc… (yet).

If it were priced right, I feel like it would attract young professionals and help the area grow bigger, faster (than it is already growing). Why would a majority of people want to move downtown for the same price as it is to be close to the beach, unless it was close to work?

Someone please explain this to me…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 04:13 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
It's hard to say if it's overpriced.

Prices have already gone up considerably . In my opinion it is the hottest area , not up and coming .

It could definitely go up more .

Not everyone cares about living near the beach . Look at NYC it's expensive and it's very cold there most the year . Even though they have bad weather especially this year .. I doubt people will move .

I haven't looked at places in dtla recently but I'd be surprised if they are more than Santa Monica across the board . Is that for the same sq footage etc ?

Personally I think dtla has a lot more upside than Santa Monica . Santa Monica is already gentrified , but dtla still has skid row and run down buildings , places can still be renovated and it can still be more attractive , especially for young people it could be more attractive than west la because of the walk ability transit , etc .

Old 01-24-2014, 04:26 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,486,492 times
Supply and demand. There is practically NO supply. Downtown Los Angeles currently has one of the lowest vacancy rates in the nation when it comes to residential units.

In fact, just about all residential units BEING BUILT (so not actually available yet) in downtown right now are luxury apartments, not condos. I believe the only real major condo development there is Barker Block (in the Arts District), and even then it will only add 68 units to a market that currently has a strong demand.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:27 PM

192 posts, read 326,211 times
The HOA's are what I find a bit hard to accept, on top of a high 4, low 5's number for essentially a 1 bedroom/loft. Really like the future upside of the Arts District though.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
It's hard to say if it's overpriced.

Prices have already gone up considerably . In my opinion it is the hottest area , not up and coming .

It could definitely go up more .

Not everyone cares about living near the beach . Look at NYC it's expensive and it's very cold there most the year . Even though they have bad weather especially this year .. I doubt people will move .

I haven't looked at places in dtla recently but I'd be surprised if they are more than Santa Monica across the board . Is that for the same sq footage etc ?

Personally I think dtla has a lot more upside than Santa Monica . Santa Monica is already gentrified , but dtla still has skid row and run down buildings , places can still be renovated and it can still be more attractive , especially for young people it could be more attractive than west la because of the walk ability transit , etc .
A typical 2bed/2ba 1000 sq/ft. condo in DTLA is going between $500k - $600k and each has high HOAs (between $500 - $800 a month). The numbers skew a bit lower if you are south of Main St. or North of 3rd. The South Park district seems the most expensive. The other issue is that the inventory is extremely low - there just isn't much to choose from downtown.

A typical 2bed/2ba 1000 sq./ft. condo in Santa Monica is going between $475k - $600k (depending on your location to the beach) with much lower HOAs ($300 - $500 month).

These are just rough and dirty numbers I found while on the MLS for the past few weeks. DTLA has come a long way in the 4 years I've been here, but with Skid Row, the huge homeless population, older buildings that need to be renovated, etc.. I think Santa Monica is much more desirable for now. I guess I'm wrong..?

Old 01-24-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear629 View Post
The HOA's are what I find a bit hard to accept, on top of a high 4, low 5's number for essentially a 1 bedroom/loft. Really like the future upside of the Arts District though.
1000% agree on this.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:21 PM

192 posts, read 326,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iama30something View Post
1000% agree on this.
good luck on your hunt and always try to negotiate a commission rebate. every little bit helps

Old 01-24-2014, 05:33 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iama30something View Post
It doesn’t have the cliche compared to other parts of LA such as the Westside, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Silver Lake, etc…
LOL I think you meant cachet, but it's funny as is

Old 01-24-2014, 06:01 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Yeah that is true. Downtown la is definitely less cliche than Santa Monica, Beverly Hills , etc.

Not too many movies or shows where the character lives in downtown .

I'm sure that will change though

Old 01-24-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
LOL I think you meant cachet, but it's funny as is
Whoops!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles