Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 07:53 PM

19 posts, read 32,722 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
My husband and I will be moving to LA and I am overwhelmed and in need of some advice (I did not realize how little I knew of LA!). He will be working in Santa Monica and I will most likely be working some weeks in downtown LA and some in Century City (I am a project based independent contractor). At first, I only wanted to live near/on the water in the Santa Monica area (I know, so cliche)but after doing some research, I am sensing that will not be the best idea due to the traffic.

Any suggestions on where to live that will not be an awful commute for either of us?
We are 30 somethings with no kids and currently living in NYC. We are looking for a 1-2 bedroom anywhere from $2,500-$3,000. We are not into clubs but would like to be walking distance to some nice bars. Also, a nice view would be great (views of the water, the city or the hills).

Let me know if you need any more information and thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 08:07 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,559 times
Once again I'll recommend the websites like hotpads or padmapper. If I were you, I'd live closer to Santa Monica than downtown. Believe it or not, the worst traffic is heading west (towards the coast) in the morning and away in the afternoon so it would be easier (though not a breeze) to head east in the morning.

Plus! If you get something near the expo rail line now running to Culver City, you can take a nice train ride in the morning to downtown and he can have a decent commute west to Santa Monica. Your budget would get you something nice in Culver City. Not a house, but a good condo close to the very cute and walkable downtown area and the train station.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:20 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,387,480 times
If you want a view of the water, city, mountains, you should probably looking into a higher floor in one of those Marina Del Rey complexes.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:34 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,901,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes88 View Post
With that budget you can live anywhere in LA. I'd pick Santa Monica right on Ocean Ave.
not so fast. ocean ave is a prime area, among the wealthiest in the country. a friend i know lives there and has a neighbor paying $7,000/month (yes, that's not a typo) for a 1 bedroom apartment.

it would be difficult if not impossible to get a 2 bedroom right on ocean for less than $3k. a little bit further inland tho it might well be possible.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:49 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
Anywhere along the 10, Culver City, Venice.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:22 AM

823 posts, read 1,056,189 times
I agree with the poster who said live in SM and commute to downtown. We live in Sunset Park and our neighbor works in DTLA and her morning commute is usually pretty good, 25-30 minutes door-to-door. Evening is similar, although can be 45 mins or so if traffic is really heavy. You'll only be 15-20 min from Century City, 30 min in heavy traffic.

Venice or the Marina could be good too, but then you are generally having to deal with getting to the 10, either on surface streets or from the 405 and that could add a good 15-20 min to the commute. I think you would find Culver City a bit quiet after NYC.

There's some great places in West Hollywood and around mid-Wilshire, La Brea, good restaurants and bars, but the commute wouldn't be great for either of you as you'd have a lot of surface street travel.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:58 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
not so fast. ocean ave is a prime area, among the wealthiest in the country. a friend i know lives there and has a neighbor paying $7,000/month (yes, that's not a typo) for a 1 bedroom apartment.

it would be difficult if not impossible to get a 2 bedroom right on ocean for less than $3k. a little bit further inland tho it might well be possible.
Omg $7000 .. I hope that's a huge 1 bedroom,,
Who in their right mind pays 7k to rent a 1bed?

How much does your friend pay ?

Old 01-29-2014, 05:04 AM

367 posts, read 673,076 times
santa monica is a good option. by 2016 he will be able to ride the expo line from samo to downtown, so that opens up commute options. i'd suggest the area around ocean park and main

Old 01-29-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
Once again I'll recommend the websites like hotpads or padmapper. If I were you, I'd live closer to Santa Monica than downtown. Believe it or not, the worst traffic is heading west (towards the coast) in the morning and away in the afternoon so it would be easier (though not a breeze) to head east in the morning.

Plus! If you get something near the expo rail line now running to Culver City, you can take a nice train ride in the morning to downtown and he can have a decent commute west to Santa Monica. Your budget would get you something nice in Culver City. Not a house, but a good condo close to the very cute and walkable downtown area and the train station.
Thanks so much for your prompt reply. Are padmapper and hotpads better than craigslist to find apartments? Are broker fees normal in LA?

I am so confused about the whole traffic issue (all the threads I have read indicate that the traffic from SM to DTLA would be awful). I am going to be out there is a couple of months and I guess I will just have to see for myself.

What is the scene like in Culver City?

Thanks again.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
If you want a view of the water, city, mountains, you should probably looking into a higher floor in one of those Marina Del Rey complexes.
I looked into MDR but wouldn't my commute to DTLA be awful? How long do you think it would take?

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles