Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 08:00 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,258,595 times

Advertisements

Welcome to LA. But not one dime from the taxpayers transferred to the billionaire owner, thank you very much.

LA is one city that does not need the ego boost of a football team, unlike a Buffalo, Baltimore, St. Louis or Charlotte.

Dodgers, Angels, Lakers, Clippers and Kings are just fine.

LA would love a football team. But it does not NEED a football team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 08:48 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
If this happens, what are the odds Inglewood becomes part of the 'westside' within 10 years?
lol

Wow, that would be something. Inglewood considered part of the exclusive West LA club.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:12 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
lol

Wow, that would be something. Inglewood considered part of the exclusive West LA club.
Well I don't think this is too far fetched as the "Westside Club" has pretty recently accepted Culver City into their exclusive club...before the whole Downtown Culver City renewal , Culver City had kind of a bad reputation from folks on the westside.

The fox hills area has changed a lot too. Fox hills isn't too far from Inglewood really, so this is not a HUGE stretch.. Neighborhoods near gentrifying neighborhoods are likely to get gentrified.

I had mentioned on this forum a long time ago about the huge difference in prices between Westchester and the part of Inglewood that borders it.

If prices continue to go up, I could see it being not too far along where yuppies are getting into bidding wars to buy homes in Inglewood. Who knows ,maybe this is already happening.

Looks like people are already trying to sell for a lot more/flip in the area .

114 West PLYMOUTH St, Inglewood, CA 90302 | MLS# RS14007863 | Redfin

Old 02-03-2014, 12:00 PM

546 posts, read 817,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Welcome to LA. But not one dime from the taxpayers transferred to the billionaire owner, thank you very much.

LA is one city that does not need the ego boost of a football team, unlike a Buffalo, Baltimore, St. Louis or Charlotte.

Dodgers, Angels, Lakers, Clippers and Kings are just fine.

LA would love a football team. But it does not NEED a football team.
Yes, I agree. I hope Inglewood does not get hoodwinked by the NFL.

How the NFL Fleeces Taxpayers - Gregg Easterbrook - The Atlantic

The NFL is great at fleecing taxpayers. It amazes me how they get away this....i guess the popularity of the game is what does it.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:06 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Well I don't think this is too far fetched as the "Westside Club" has pretty recently accepted Culver City into their exclusive club...before the whole Downtown Culver City renewal , Culver City had kind of a bad reputation from folks on the westside.

The fox hills area has changed a lot too. Fox hills isn't too far from Inglewood really, so this is not a HUGE stretch.. Neighborhoods near gentrifying neighborhoods are likely to get gentrified.

I had mentioned on this forum a long time ago about the huge difference in prices between Westchester and the part of Inglewood that borders it.

If prices continue to go up, I could see it being not too far along where yuppies are getting into bidding wars to buy homes in Inglewood. Who knows ,maybe this is already happening.

$404 sqft in Inglewood, now I've seen everything.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:02 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Actually that might be a "deal"...someone paid $484 for this little house in Inglewood.. $480k!

132 West ELLIS Ave, Inglewood, CA 90302 | MLS# 13-723935 | Redfin

Can someone please justify these prices for me?..

Looks like they paid $331k in July 2013. They put some work into it and did some staging...but really?....

Last edited by jm1982; 02-03-2014 at 02:10 PM..

Old 02-03-2014, 02:06 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

Culver City was boring, but I don't think it was ever rejected by the Westside. It's not like the rest of the westside was much better, especially in the 80s. Santa Monica came out of "hiding" in the very late 80's/early 90's with the promenade and improvements to the pier and downtown. It was affulents, but much sleepier area before that. Culver City ramped up it's improvements a decade later. The only part of Culver City that had a really bad reputation is Fox Hills.

The area of Inglewood you've highlighted is Fairview, which is a nice part of Inglewood, especially between La Cienega and West because it borders Ladera Heights. It's been of a a bit of a hot market there, but inventory can be low, especially in the past year. I've definitely seen more white families in this neighborhood.

536 West HILLSDALE St, Inglewood, CA 90302 | MLS# DW14000582 | Redfin

Old 02-03-2014, 03:02 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,236 times
Zoning restrictions, as well as 35+ years of submitting to the 'urban containment' and/or slow growth zealots starting with our governor during his first stint in Sacramento are directly responsible for our sky-high land prices, which in turn result in sky-high housing prices.

It's simple 10th grade economics; when one deliberately restricts the supply of anything (remember those gas lines of the early 1970s engineered by Uncle Sam?) including the availability of land will cause the product whose supply is intentionally being restricted from an availability standpoint to skyrocket in price.

'Smart growth' is dumb growth, plain and simple; it exacerbates price swings in the housing market whenever the government intervenes in one way or another, whether it be the local, state or federal government laying waste to the freedom of the marketplace by trying to please winners and losers, with typically disastrous results.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:53 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,934 times
He should revamp Hollywood Park so they can keep horse racing there.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:31 AM

462 posts, read 741,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Zoning restrictions, as well as 35+ years of submitting to the 'urban containment' and/or slow growth zealots starting with our governor during his first stint in Sacramento are directly responsible for our sky-high land prices, which in turn result in sky-high housing prices.

It's simple 10th grade economics; when one deliberately restricts the supply of anything (remember those gas lines of the early 1970s engineered by Uncle Sam?) including the availability of land will cause the product whose supply is intentionally being restricted from an availability standpoint to skyrocket in price.

'Smart growth' is dumb growth, plain and simple; it exacerbates price swings in the housing market whenever the government intervenes in one way or another, whether it be the local, state or federal government laying waste to the freedom of the marketplace by trying to please winners and losers, with typically disastrous results.
Overpopulating the state with people sure isnt helping matters either where you have to plow all the farmland for housing and retail shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles