U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 09:22 PM

258 posts, read 1,425,267 times

Advertisements

I graduated from film school in florida a year or so ago. I've been wanting to move to ca for the past 5 years but didn't get accepted to a college there. After graduation and now with a degree in film I'm still considering the move. Originally from missouri, went to school in florida. I've been reading all the posts on la and you get so many mixed responses and opinions. If I'm wanting to work in film (the production side) is it that hard to find a job? And is it even harder to move up? I love the idea of working in film and travelling around to make movies. All I keep hearing is that its who you know, not what you know. The advice I've been given is to try and get a pa job even if it doesn't pay much and try to work my way up. But if I'm going to move to la I need to be making some decent money to survive out there. I had some friends that lived out there for some time, but now live in slo and they told me you don't want to live there unless your work in the film or music business. So is it that hard to get into the industry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 11:34 AM

61 posts, read 240,082 times
i work as a production/casting assistant on a freelance basis. it works out well for me because i can choose to work when i want to or take time off when i want to pursue other things.

it's true, most PAs don't make much and there is a lot of *on your feet* time involved.. but it's a great way to get involved in the process and get your face out there.

i've met cameramen who started out as PAs or assistant producers who started out as production assistants.

my typical day rate is $250 a day for PA work and no less than $200 a day for casting work. a lot of PAs i know only get paid around $150 per day, but for me it's not worth it.

try looking at entertainmentcareers dot net

i get a lot of my PA gigs from there or from working with other producers. they not only have PA jobs there.. it spans the whole industry so you may find something that suits you.

and sadly, you're right, it IS more dependant upon who you know- the industry is deepy entrenched in nepotism. i got my first PA gig from my neighbour who is a producer. so it does depend upon who you know.

good luck.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:52 PM

418 posts, read 1,583,895 times
You're young, you want to work in film production. Make the move.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:59 PM

236 posts, read 1,061,017 times
Your choices are pretty much here or NY, and I'd pick here anyday! Go for it, dude! Like Lumerian Feast said, you're young, make the move!

Old 11-30-2007, 03:10 PM

2,483 posts, read 5,014,176 times
You need to immerse yourself in research. Find out all you can about the industry. Yes, it is very very difficult industry to break into. If you have a true love for it and feel you wouldn't be happy doing anything else, pack your crap and get going. Make it happen.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:14 PM

236 posts, read 1,061,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Yes, it is very very difficult industry to break into.
Ankhharu is not joking. My sister-in-law graduated from Loyola Marymount with a degree in TV production and after about 10 years of hardly moving up the ladder despite her talent and ambition, she decided to call it quits. She's now a 5th grade teacher and LOVES her job more than any other job she ever had.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:22 PM

258 posts, read 1,425,267 times
I actually just ran across entertainmentcareers.net last night, it had some decent jobs on there. If I could get a PA job that paid $250 a day to start out, it would definitely be worth it for me starting out to see if its what I want to pursue. Would you say thats my best bet for finding a job is through the Internet via Craigslist or EntertainmentCareers.net? What would you say about contacting film companies directly? Is that something they frown upon or not? I would just like to get something set up before I moved there. I have a cousin that owns the Hollywood Forever cemetery in la and used to help the writers for 6 Feet Under. I'm sure he knows people but wouldn't go out of his way to help because I've even asked him for a job.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:32 PM

11 posts, read 84,711 times
I work in the film and television business here in Los Angeles. If you want a job in production, the best entry-level job to take is that of a Production Assistant "P.A." Yes, you can very well work your way up...but you really have to impress your bosses and meet as many people as possible. In terms of being a P.A. and making a good living...there's not a lot of money in P.A. work and the hours are VERY long.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:12 PM

61 posts, read 240,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california??? View Post
I actually just ran across entertainmentcareers.net last night, it had some decent jobs on there. If I could get a PA job that paid $250 a day to start out, it would definitely be worth it for me starting out to see if its what I want to pursue. Would you say thats my best bet for finding a job is through the Internet via Craigslist or EntertainmentCareers.net? What would you say about contacting film companies directly? Is that something they frown upon or not? I would just like to get something set up before I moved there. I have a cousin that owns the Hollywood Forever cemetery in la and used to help the writers for 6 Feet Under. I'm sure he knows people but wouldn't go out of his way to help because I've even asked him for a job.

entertainmentcareers.net is really good. i don't trust craigslist for ANYTHING because it seems a bit shady to me, but i'm sure someone has gotten something good from it. when i do casting assistant we use breakdownservices.com, but that's typically for casting and talent. however maybe you could contact some of the agencies to see if they need a casting assistant.

or you could contact studios themselves to see if they have any internships or PA work available. i don't know how receptive they'd be, but it couldn't hurt to try.

the average PA doesn't make $250 a day. most hover around $150-$200 a day. i'm lucky, i work with a neighbour and she is the one that writes $250 a day for me into their budget.

you can do it, you want to move up and i'm happy being a PA. if you want to move up.. once you get in on the ground level i've seen.. it's just a matter of time and opportunity for someone that wants to progress and move up.

sadly.. $250 is not the norm for a PA. but if you can live off $150 or $200 a day as a PA, then i say go for it. it's your best bet to get your foot in the door.

once again, good luck

Old 11-19-2008, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 26,509 times
I greatly want to get into the film industry. However I while I was in high school I was always told not to go into film school. So needless to say I graduated with a degree in Criminal Justice. After months of not being able to find a job. I now have decided I REALLY want to get into Film. I love movies and enjoy seeing how there made. Does anyone have any suggestions on places to go or anything that I could do, to get into the Film industry???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or