U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 11:26 AM

21 posts, read 28,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
and I expressed my opinion and you came back with some asinine response. Get over yourself. This is an internet forum and I will reply to whatever thread or posts I want. It seems to me like you don't take my criticism of others well either.
The point that you're failing to recognize is that the question doesn't involve you. You were born and raised in San Diego, and also are a current resident. The question was for people who are Angelenos. You are not one of them.

No one said you don't have a right to your own opinions. The point is that you keep repeating yourself about why compare SD to LA when it's so different in population size. Pointing out the original question proves your rhetorical statement. Not my problem you can't read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 12:10 PM

95 posts, read 351,419 times
Why do people in San Diego care what LA thinks of them? There should be a topic on what people in San Diego think of Los Angeles, or what San Francisco thinks of Los Angeles? Or better yet, why do people in other parts of California call or consider Orange County Los Angeles? San Diego and LA are two different cities, LA is more urban, San Diego is more of an overpopulated suburban. That is like comparing NYC to Providence.

I know there has always been rivalry between SF and LA but LA and SD have never really been rivals.

Last edited by avalon2k41; 01-30-2011 at 12:20 PM..

Old 01-30-2011, 12:42 PM

4,811 posts, read 9,009,211 times
Also comparing SD to other big "More important" cities is unfair. I'm starting to realize this. It's just that we bloomed so late, and massive development didn't take off in San Diego up until the 40's and after WWII. LA and SF are just as old as SD, but yet developed at a much early time period, LA took a lot of industry jobs away from San Diego, people flocked to LA, because that's where everything was happening at the time, jobs, housing, goods.

I wish that San Diego did developed early in time, but that fact is, we didn't. SD was never ment to be a New York or Chicago, or even an LA. Those big cities wanted to become big, so that's what happened.

For the lack of culture, yes we really don't have one, but honestly who cares. Does LA have culture? Not really, it's more like culture of rich and famous, culture of gangsters and drug dealers, culture of crime, culture of traffic, and culture of being over populated. Does it mean LA sucks? Hell no. The West coast as a whole is just laid back, this might explain why we lack culture I guess.

Personally I'm not the type of person that likes theater, or goes to musicals, goes to art galleries, and whatever else people consider "cultural". It's hard to pinpoint what culture truly is, culture can come from family values, religon and beliefs, diversity of interests, job offerings, diversity of people.

I personally, I like classic cars, pop music and the beach, might not be what the snobby people like, but hey it's still a cultural activity.

San Diego is a mid size city (3 million wetro wide), so we should be comparing ourselves with others of same size. I feel that SD is bigger and more urban, has more things to do, than many other cities our size. The Southern states and cities feel very rural and un urban, thus leading to a slow pace of life, and boring feel. So San Diego shines on that aspect, we don't have farms down the street from local suburbs like they do in the Carolina States.

Pretty much every ethnic neighborhood/group has a parade/street festival every year. Or "taste of," such as the one recently in Little Italy. San Diego actually has a very respectable theater scene. Yeah, it ain't NY or LA - of course - but pretty good. A solvent, busy symphony (thank you, Jacobs). Lots of galleries and museums. Look, if you're going to continually rank them against NY or LA (or SF, Chicago), then, yeah, we lose.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:23 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,964,385 times
Cool Cut and paste...

It's not the criticism I find offensive. It's the hackneyed, unimaginative, lazy sentiments so many haters use. Yawn and double-yawn.

Back to the topic: SD is fine, I just prefer it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
"City of Angels?"

more like "city of crime, pollution, homeless, and fake boobs" in America

Old 01-31-2011, 01:50 AM

9,197 posts, read 14,472,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
It's not the criticism I find offensive. It's the hackneyed, unimaginative, lazy sentiments so many haters use.
Maybe the idea of presenting on CD as a "hater" is, in itself, hackneyed, unimaginative, and lazy.

We know all too well about this snarling city rivalry stuff up in the Bay Area. Kind of fun, unless you take it seriously.

(And, BTW, people in L.A. are rarely concerned with SD, or other points south)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or