U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 10:28 PM

14,527 posts, read 16,148,772 times

Advertisements

Wow! Another of these threads "what do you think of....."

I love San Diego. In an alternate reality I would be happy living there. My beloved cousin lives in Pacific Beach and I'd like nothing better than to live there too. Alas I cannot afford property there.

What's not to like about San Diego? It's a kinder, prettier, quieter, slower Los Angeles to me. If you like the West Coast, move there not here. I'd do it myself if I could.

(Background: I spent many summers in SD as a kid, with long visits with my grandparents and aunt/uncle in SD. It's a great place.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 08:18 PM

52 posts, read 277,051 times
LA is just too big and diverse to fit any generalizations. So is San Diego if you're thinking in terms of the whole county.

Why would San Diegans diss LA.? Not many do. But the ones who do are probably nervous about how developers in San Diego run everything and want to pave the whole place over.

LA is where San Diego will be in 20 years unless developers are reined in.

There were 12 million people in this state when I was a kid. Now we have 38 million. Isn't that enough?

Why do we have to have 60 million (by the year 2050, according to the California State Dept. of Finance, which allocates "growth burdens" to cities and counties throughout the state)?

Oh, so the developers who run Sacramento (as well as San Diego) can make money. Right.

The Golden State is looking less and less golden and more and more overpopulated to me.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:42 PM

7,882 posts, read 14,728,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkt View Post
LA is just too big and diverse to fit any generalizations. So is San Diego if you're thinking in terms of the whole county.

Why would San Diegans diss LA.? Not many do. But the ones who do are probably nervous about how developers in San Diego run everything and want to pave the whole place over.

LA is where San Diego will be in 20 years unless developers are reined in.

There were 12 million people in this state when I was a kid. Now we have 38 million. Isn't that enough?

Why do we have to have 60 million (by the year 2050, according to the California State Dept. of Finance, which allocates "growth burdens" to cities and counties throughout the state)?

Oh, so the developers who run Sacramento (as well as San Diego) can make money. Right.

The Golden State is looking less and less golden and more and more overpopulated to me.

That would be Mexico's fault.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:48 AM

208 posts, read 916,964 times
i visit San Diego fairly frequently and the vibe i get from SD locals or people who've lived there long enough to feel local...is they think San Diego is pretty much the greatest place to live in the world, and they cannot understand why anyone would not want to live there. and they really don't understand why anyone would choose LA over SD given the choice. (seems like they're very accepting to people moving there, especially since most people there are not from there to begin with. kinda the same deal in LA i guess) SD is a nice place, sure, but i get the feeling some people down there drink the San Diego kool-aid a little too much.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:06 PM

1,749 posts, read 7,774,958 times
This is a city vs. suburbs argument. To me, San Diego is a suburb...or feels like suburbia even though technically it's not

. I enjoy visiting the Hotel Del Coronado but that's about it. Too sleepy for me. Gaslight is pretty but doesn't have much going on and is rolled up pretty early.

The people who like SD are usually from smaller places.

I'm glad it's there for those who love it.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:49 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,128,983 times
Northern San Diego has a very Orange County feel to me. As you get closer to the city though, I think San Diego develops more of its own unique identity. Balboa Park... awesome. Old Town San Diego... awesome. Trolley system... awesome. Downtown San Diego (including Gaslamp)... really really awesome.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:10 PM

7,141 posts, read 19,542,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
Northern San Diego has a very Orange County feel to me. As you get closer to the city though, I think San Diego develops more of its own unique identity. Balboa Park... awesome. Old Town San Diego... awesome. Trolley system... awesome. Downtown San Diego (including Gaslamp)... really really awesome.
I totally agree, once you get south of mission valley SD has a very cool city vibe. However, there are plenty of neighborhoods in southern SD that are as cookie cutter (although not as nice and expensive) as those in the north.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:47 AM

21 posts, read 28,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweathergolfer View Post
having lived in both i would say you are an incredibly perceptive person . If a person is looking for laid back, casual san diego is the way to go. Want energy and the center of the universe--la.

Sd trash talks as la is the vortex and like anyone not in the vortex they are consumed with talk about the fascinating energy and force rather than just living it as we do here in la. They focus on all the negatives or constantly talk about la, la, la until you realize compared to la, san diego has little to offer in many areas. Sd has a lot to offer yes, but not even close to all la has.

The questions are can one stand and how long to live in the center of a vortex? Many of us like to be in the center and not on the outside looking in evaluating what they aren't living (sd). La folks are busy living in the thick of it all enjoying and surfing all that la offers and there is alot that you will not find elsewhere. Can it be incredibly stressful? Oh yeah. Can it be amazing in many areas. Definately. Without question it will be an experience one will not soon if ever forget if they pass through. Whether it be complete and utter hate or awe.

Sd is nice many of us la folks admit, but for a day or two or a weekend away like a resort or something. Yawn . . . Time to come home. Sd folks are grateful just to calm down and breath fresh air again and get the heck out of la.

A small town can be nice and clean. A city dirty, noisy and crazy. White glove city or the second largest city in the country with just plain irresistable force that pulls you toward it and pushes you away all at once sometimes? La simply has everything. City envy? Maybe a bit of both on both sides, but la's offerings leave us little time to care or even think twice about our southern sister (or in this case brother--named in honor of saint didacus of alcala).

Sd more time for size envy? Possibly. or maybe just relief at not having to carry or bear the load.
(just a little bust. I get down to sd often and enjoy each visit.) usually la to them is a place where angels fear to tread, but they forget our name .

couldn't have said it better myself!!!

Old 01-08-2011, 04:54 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,291,010 times
I haven't been to san diego in years. I have family there...my aunt and cousin. I haven't been there in 8 years? 10 years? Shows you how close we are, lol.

I think its nice. It's slower paced than the beach cities here. When you compare San Francisco, Central coast (monterey to san luis obispo, I'll call that central coast). Lompoc and Santa Barbara I'll categorize as seperate. Then so cal. Then san diego.

San Diego is the most laid back of those areas. San Francisco has a completely different identity. I think San Diego is trying to find an identity between LA and Mexico. Thus, it's "laid back". I think its a good trade up if you're from a small town, 10-50,000 people, and you want more to do.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:33 AM

21 posts, read 28,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I haven't been to san diego in years. I have family there...my aunt and cousin. I haven't been there in 8 years? 10 years? Shows you how close we are, lol.

I think its nice. It's slower paced than the beach cities here. When you compare San Francisco, Central coast (monterey to san luis obispo, I'll call that central coast). Lompoc and Santa Barbara I'll categorize as seperate. Then so cal. Then san diego.

San Diego is the most laid back of those areas. San Francisco has a completely different identity. I think San Diego is trying to find an identity between LA and Mexico. Thus, it's "laid back". I think its a good trade up if you're from a small town, 10-50,000 people, and you want more to do.
I'm an Angeleno, been down here in SD 3.5 years with my partner and we absolutely can't stand it. Used to run down here in my late teens, thought it was great. Living here is certainly very different. Funny thing is SD is actually not laid back at all...its residents strive to portray this image. The driving here is ridiculous, very impatient, people will gladly run you off the road. In fact, people steer their shopping carts much the way they drive their vehicles...up your arse. A couple of times, I had enough and would say hey man! Can I use some space? Oh the responses, good grief. A lot of rage on behalf of people here...say anything they don't like, and the responses are quite disproportionate to the initial comment. They take things to the extreme. Also didn't realize how conservative it is here. Found city-data very useful in helping to understand why SD is the way it is.

Bottom line is, I crave diversity and a sense of community. I don't know how many times I've seen accidents, someone needing help, etc. and no one does anything but stare. Small example here - one of our neighbors was being brutally attacked on the street, saw it right through my window, ran out there to help, people did nothing! The dude fled right past 3 grown men who just watched him run by. Ran a mile and a half to help PD chase the dude down. People think I'm crazy, you know what I think is crazy? No one helping each other. A lot of opinions about LA are that it's cold, and everyone is out for themselves. They couldn't be more wrong.

It's really nice to read what you wrote about LA, it sure is how we feel. I've actually had a car vandalized more than once, nasty notes, all because of an LA decal on the back of our car.

I know he's no longer on here, but the posts Funkymonk used to write about his view of SD are right on cue.

Ready to go home to LA, that's for sure!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or