Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 09:29 PM

6,538 posts, read 12,030,552 times

Advertisements

I was just curious. People down in San Diego talk a lot of trash about L.A. saying that it's too ghetto, dirty, smoggy, crowded, etc. and think San Diego is just this great paradise where everything is perfect. I was wondering is there a 2-way rivalry going on between L.A. and San Diego? I've known some people from L.A. who like San Diego. Me personally, I'm from out of state and I like L.A. a lot better overall. I think it's one of the most exciting cities I've ever been to being a world class city and having Hollywood, and San Diego is just too boring and slow for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 10:08 PM

102 posts, read 472,335 times
I agree with you san diego is nice and all but overall L.A. beets all.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:30 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,635,510 times
we don't!

(the above is all i really have to say and this is filler.)

Old 11-29-2007, 11:47 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,943,283 times
We dont think too much of San Diego. We hate it when our local news gives us San Diego's weather forecast as well. Like we would even go there.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:59 PM

642 posts, read 3,071,969 times
Having lived in both I would say you are an incredibly perceptive person . If a person is looking for laid back, casual San Diego is the way to go. Want energy and the center of the universe--LA.

SD trash talks as LA is the vortex and like anyone not in the vortex they are consumed with talk about the fascinating energy and force rather than just living it as we do here in LA. They focus on all the negatives or constantly talk about LA, LA, LA until you realize compared to LA, San Diego has little to offer in many areas. SD has a lot to offer yes, but not even close to all LA has.

The questions are can one stand and how long to live in the center of a vortex? Many of us like to be in the center and not on the outside looking in evaluating what they aren't living (SD). LA folks are busy living in the thick of it all enjoying and surfing all that LA offers and there is ALOT that you will not find elsewhere. Can it be incredibly stressful? Oh yeah. Can it be amazing in many areas. Definately. Without question it will be an experience one will not soon if ever forget if they pass through. Whether it be complete and utter hate or awe.

SD is nice many of us LA folks admit, but for a day or two or a weekend away like a resort or something. Yawn . . . time to come home. SD folks are grateful just to calm down and breath fresh air again and get the heck out of LA.

A small town can be nice and clean. A city dirty, noisy and crazy. White glove city or the second largest city in the country with just plain irresistable force that pulls you toward it and pushes you away all at once sometimes? LA simply has everything. City envy? Maybe a bit of both on both sides, but LA's offerings leave us little time to care or even think twice about our southern sister (or in this case brother--named in honor of Saint Didacus of Alcala).

SD more time for size envy? Possibly. Or maybe just relief at not having to carry or bear the load.
(Just a little bust. I get down to SD often and enjoy each visit.) Usually LA to them is a place where angels fear to tread, but they forget our name .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I was just curious. People down in San Diego talk a lot of trash about L.A. saying that it's too ghetto, dirty, smoggy, crowded, etc. and think San Diego is just this great paradise where everything is perfect. I was wondering is there a 2-way rivalry going on between L.A. and San Diego? I've known some people from L.A. who like San Diego. Me personally, I'm from out of state and I like L.A. a lot better overall. I think it's one of the most exciting cities I've ever been to being a world class city and having Hollywood, and San Diego is just too boring and slow for me.

Last edited by fairweathergolfer; 11-30-2007 at 12:17 AM..

Old 11-30-2007, 12:17 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,334,908 times
All of CA hates one city in particular-LA. But then, when it comes to NorCal and SoCal, people SF people always group LA and SD together, so Angelenos reluctantly have to stick up for SD since we always end up being in the same category. CA is a very rival based state which isn't good. The Dodgers' rivals are both the Giants and Padres, while the Giants and Padres have a much smaller rival. LA takes the s*** from everyone not in LA. But, you know what, people on this site have just learned to accept the fact that these people are probably just 1)ignorant, 2)jealous that they don't live here, or 3)mentally insane. If you notice, people from all other cities come to LA to bash us...well do you see us doing that? Nope, we have enough confidince and self respect to our own city that we don't need to go around disgracing other cities to make our city seem good. SF does that a lot with LA. Chicago forumers and NYC forumers do that constantly. Go check their forums, and you will see Angelenos don't do that. The only reason we go to their forums is to correct their ignorant remarks that make fun of LA.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:06 AM

705 posts, read 3,296,933 times
I have lived in both cities, and San Diego is way to laid back like some of you have already mentioned. My family and old friends live in San Diego and that is pretty much the only reason I go over there. I hate driving in San Diego because everybody is so slow, I hate the San Diego laid back culture, and I hate that every part of San Diego county looks almost exactly the same. There is not much difference between north, south or east county besides the skyline and the beach. Although I hate those things about San Diego, I really like the San Diego Mexican food, downtown San Diego and the 163 freeway. I think San Diego likes to talk trash because the cultures are completely different in both cities. One city has almost no culture (San Diego) and the other is an Alpha world city that is far more renowned. The two cities are very close to each other. It's as if "SoCal isnt big enough for the both of us" type of attitude.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:09 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,507,698 times
I am from the LA area and travel to san diego quite a bit. I like it for the small town feel but usually always stay in la jolla and go to the beach. I enjoy being able to walk out from sea lodge to the beach and not have to drive. Also like some of the other beaches a bit further south.

I wasnt too impressed with the downtown bar scene. Kindof weird people but maybe it was that night and where I went. Not too familiar with the places to go as i focus more on daytime activities than night time clubbing and bar hopping.

Traffic in la jolla is getting worse and worse though.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:12 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Dodgers at Padres: People throwing beer, fights in the stands, Continuous "Beat LA", etc.

Padres at Dodgers: Yawn.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:38 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,463,921 times
I live in San Diego, and I think most SD'ers are just intimidated by LA, it's size, it's population. SD is still a small town in a lot of ways and a lot of people have a small-town mentality. How can you not like LA? It's got everything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles