U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 11:51 AM

21 posts, read 16,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post

SD doesn't have that Latin flair, or Hispanic influence like that of L.A., even in politics, our leaders in office, are all White, I can't remember the last time San Diego has ever elected a Latino, or African American Mayor or Police Chief or even a Fire Captain. It's like minorities out here are afraid to run for office as they will most likely lose to a candidate that is White because at the end of the day, more White folks vote than minorities, and San Diego, especially the County has one of the highest White populations in the state.

San Diego is very White bread in it's culture no offense, ( The beaches, Surfing, Hiking, Bro's in lifted trucks, offroading, the Military) you either like that or you don't. But it's the truth.

If one is looking for excitement, and endless opportunities for fun, L.A. is where it's at.

I also have a problem with the conservatism of this town. The city of SD is fairly moderate to liberal, but once you step outside those city limits, be prepared to see things you'd never thought you'd ever see in CA. Like others here have said, East SD County is full of Rednecks, White Trash, Racist, Country Music loving, American Pride, YEE HAW! Pick up truck driving, Weirdo's, Tweakers, Bums, Sick and Disabled, Texas Chain saw Massacre Cletus Jackson (Yes I made up that name lol) people of the world. I am not joking either!

This is the San Diego I despise and cannot stand one bit. Everyone thinks as San Diego being some paradise, when in reality we have people living here that are seriously twisted mentally and culturally.
1. racist

2. Visit Mira Mesa, where whites are the minority

3. East SD, racist, **** what rock have you been living under to think all Conservatives are racist

4. Fun in LA, certainly, Cultural prolblems, certainly

5. What percentage of SD county do you think is white

6. Living next to the border creates a different culture, one that LA doesnt have. (LA has Culture, but not this kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
Listen to sdlife619. He knows what he is talking about.

San Diego's airport is too small for the city and county it serves. There is only one runway. It is also pretty dangerous as well. It made the list of the 10 most extreme airports in the World because airplanes have to fly very close to downtown buildings and there is a parking structure that pilots must avoid hitting while landing. The new bridge connecting San Diego to the Tijuana airport is indeed very nice. It takes money away from San Diego's airport though. You can fly to places like China, South America, and Europe from the Tijuana airport for a lot cheaper. Flying out of San Diego is much more expensive. Since it is so small it doesn't have many direct international flights and you have to fly into LAX or some other airport which is more time consuming and expensive. San Diego has been wanting to build a new airport for a long time now, but they can't find any open land. The military will not let San Diego buy their landing strips like at Miramar. Now they are talking about building on a chunk of the base in Oceanside, but again they are being met with opposition. There was even a plan about a decade ago to build a big airport in the Imperial Valley and run a train from San Diego to there! I admit the current location is pretty cool being next to downtown and the ocean but that is one of the big reasons it can't be expanded. There is no more room. The trolley system doesn't even go to the airport. It stops down the street from the airport. Terrible planning.

I don't think having the military here makes us safer. It just makes San Diego a bigger target for terrorism. Not blindly supporting everything the military does is not unpatriotic as another poster wrote. I think questioning what the military does and whether it is moral or not IS patriotic.

Julian can not be compared to Big Bear, Tahoe, Mountain High, or Mammoth. Those places are all superior to Julian. Julian is nice but it hardly ever snows and is not a ski resort. All those places are far better. Julian Apple Pie is insanely overrated and I've heard that the apples the pies are made with aren't even grown in Julian!

San Diego County does have a problem with lack of diversity in its politics. The County Board of Supervisors are all old and white. All but one are Republicans and they've been on the board for years. The District Attorney is old and white and has also been there for many years. They are out of touch with the growing population and diversity of the area. We need some new people running the show.

There is a very real old money feel to the area. Rancho Santa Fe is in no way appealing unless you like huge million dollar Mcmansions that all look the same.
1. Last major accident was in 1970s, its more clogged up airpsace than airport location. Trust me, avoiding those buildings is easy, cake, take it from someone whose dad flys said planes. San.Org do i have to give you a link?

2. The Military has brought freedom to this country since before it existed, why not support it. Heck ill name two examples, 1776 and 1945.

3. Facepalm, Name one Little Mountian Village in LA that can compare to Julian, there arent any (Big Bear aint that Small). Saying Big Bear is a little mountain village is like calling Las Vegas a small desert town.

4. Some people call it "Manila Mesa"because of diversity, because the majority of a population is white does not make it racist, unless of course you are.

5. Pretty appealling, and again, no Compton in San Diego.

6. Check up SD and LA Demographics, I want to see them. Just did, and look at point 4

Last edited by PumaOrion; 01-14-2016 at 12:25 PM..

Old 01-14-2016, 12:21 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,948,664 times
Pumaorion is right. That last SD poster calling all of SD racist because they're white and they love country music and trucks?? Sounds like insecurity to me. Has he ever been to LA? The people driving the jacked up trucks and sporting the "country" look i.e. Work boots, cowboy boots, Dickies brown work jackets and such are Mexican and Mexican American. They LOVE trucks and not just for work but it's a personal preference for many. I hate to break into the guy but SoCal is the southwest, you will see "country" things like trucks, country music, boots, ranches and horse culture etc. It's not a racist "Alabama" thing. I was surprised by how big it was until I made the trip south of LA to the IE, Riverside, OC, and San Diego. People of all races too. There's a saddle shop and country western bar in Calabasas, are they racist and backwards there too?

Old 01-14-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Pumaorion is right. That last SD poster calling all of SD racist because they're white and they love country music and trucks?? Sounds like insecurity to me. Has he ever been to LA? The people driving the jacked up trucks and sporting the "country" look i.e. Work boots, cowboy boots, Dickies brown work jackets and such are Mexican and Mexican American. They LOVE trucks and not just for work but it's a personal preference for many. I hate to break into the guy but SoCal is the southwest, you will see "country" things like trucks, country music, boots, ranches and horse culture etc. It's not a racist "Alabama" thing. I was surprised by how big it was until I made the trip south of LA to the IE, Riverside, OC, and San Diego. People of all races too. There's a saddle shop and country western bar in Calabasas, are they racist and backwards there too?
Exactly

Old 01-14-2016, 12:46 PM

5,845 posts, read 11,136,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
As a San Diego Native, and has seen it all, and been through it all, L.A. is hands down the more vibrant, open minded, funner, and culturally superior city.

I visit L.A. twice a year to see family. One thing about L.A. that is instantly noticeable is how diverse it is racially and culturally compared to SD. While driving on SD freeways and all throughout San Diego County, SD feels like a very White and Mid-Western city rather than one would expect especially when Mexico is our neighbor.

SD doesn't have that Latin flair, or Hispanic influence like that of L.A., even in politics, our leaders in office, are all White, I can't remember the last time San Diego has ever elected a Latino, or African American Mayor or Police Chief or even a Fire Captain. It's like minorities out here are afraid to run for office as they will most likely lose to a candidate that is White because at the end of the day, more White folks vote than minorities, and San Diego, especially the County has one of the highest White populations in the state.

San Diego is very White bread in it's culture no offense, ( The beaches, Surfing, Hiking, Bro's in lifted trucks, offroading, the Military) you either like that or you don't. But it's the truth.

If one is looking for excitement, and endless opportunities for fun, L.A. is where it's at.

Plus the food in L.A. is WAYYYYYYYY BETTER than SD!!! As a Mexican myself, I know what taste bomb and what taste like chit. And for whatever reason, L.A.'s taco's and burrito's have a distinct flavor to the way the carne asada is cooked and marinated which gives it a very good taste. Also the Tortillas, the beans and sauce they use in L.A. is fresh and moist unlike the stale hard as rock Tortillas they use in 99% of the Taco shops here in SD with rice and beans that is canned and flavorless. So our food sucks, and it is hard to find good food in SD for a reasonable price, but overall, the business owners just simply don't care and don't put enough effort into the flavors and ingredients they use in the majority of the restaurants here. The focus here is cheap and bland. Don't get me wrong, SD does have it's spots for good food, but they are few and far in between.

I also have a problem with the conservatism of this town. The city of SD is fairly moderate to liberal, but once you step outside those city limits, be prepared to see things you'd never thought you'd ever see in CA. Like others here have said, East SD County is full of Rednecks, White Trash, Racist, Country Music loving, American Pride, YEE HAW! Pick up truck driving, Weirdo's, Tweakers, Bums, Sick and Disabled, Texas Chain saw Massacre Cletus Jackson (Yes I made up that name lol) people of the world. I am not joking either!

Throw in some Ghettoism, and you felt like you just set foot in the worst parts of Alabama or Mississippi.

This is the San Diego I despise and cannot stand one bit. Everyone thinks as San Diego being some paradise, when in reality we have people living here that are seriously twisted mentally and culturally.
Wow,

I would agree that the military/redneck is obvious when you go inland beyond the city limits (its enough where I would choose not to live there, but I still think its a bit more live and let live/libertarian than places in the south), the idea that San Diego proper is some whitebread town interchangeable with a small city in the midwest, with no latin flair is a little ridiculous.

Most recent census shows 29% hispanic latino in San Diego vs 48% in LA.

San Diego is actually a little higher for Asian at 15%, vs 11% in LA, and 10% Black in LA, vs. 7% in SD.

I still prefer greater LA, as my feeling is: you can always more or less find the laid back culture San Diego is known for in LA, but you can't find a lot of what LA has in San Diego. Of course, San Diego blows LA out of the water for zoos and aquariums, so if you like seeing live exotic members of the animal kingdom . . . day or weekend trip SD it is.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:50 PM

5,845 posts, read 11,136,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
exactly too.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Wow,

I would agree that the military/redneck is obvious when you go inland beyond the city limits (its enough where I would choose not to live there, but I still think its a bit more live and let live/libertarian than places in the south), the idea that San Diego proper is some whitebread town interchangeable with a small city in the midwest, with no latin flair is a little ridiculous.

Most recent census shows 29% hispanic latino in San Diego vs 48% in LA.

San Diego is actually a little higher for Asian at 15%, vs 11% in LA, and 10% Black in LA, vs. 7% in SD.

I still prefer greater LA, as my feeling is: you can always more or less find the laid back culture San Diego is known for in LA, but you can't find a lot of what LA has in San Diego. Of course, San Diego blows LA out of the water for zoos and aquariums, so if you like seeing live exotic members of the animal kingdom . . . day or weekend trip SD it is.
Dare i mention......

Comicon

Old 01-14-2016, 01:20 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,338,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PumaOrion View Post
1. racist

2. Visit Mira Mesa, where whites are the minority

3. East SD, racist, **** what rock have you been living under to think all Conservatives are racist

4. Fun in LA, certainly, Cultural prolblems, certainly

5. What percentage of SD county do you think is white

6. Living next to the border creates a different culture, one that LA doesnt have. (LA has Culture, but not this kind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PumaOrion View Post
1. Last major accident was in 1970s, its more clogged up airpsace than airport location. Trust me, avoiding those buildings is easy, cake, take it from someone whose dad flys said planes. San.Org do i have to give you a link?

2. The Military has brought freedom to this country since before it existed, why not support it. Heck ill name two examples, 1776 and 1945.

3. Facepalm, Name one Little Mountian Village in LA that can compare to Julian, there arent any (Big Bear aint that Small). Saying Big Bear is a little mountain village is like calling Las Vegas a small desert town.

4. Some people call it "Manila Mesa"because of diversity, because the majority of a population is white does not make it racist, unless of course you are.

5. Pretty appealling, and again, no Compton in San Diego.

6. Check up SD and LA Demographics, I want to see them. Just did, and look at point 4
You certainly enjoy writing the word racist. Let me guess, you're voting for Trump right?

The point about the airport is that it is too small for the region it represents.

I think "protecting our freedom" is just a slogan used to recruit gullible young men and women into joining the military. If you believe that 1945 was a time when the military protected our freedom then tell me how they protected our freedom in Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and the other military ventures that have taken place since then. How were they protecting our freedom at the military prisons where many of them tortured innocent Iraqis? How were they protecting our freedom when the Patriot Act was signed into law?

Who calls it "Manila Mesa"? I have never heard anyone call it that. I have heard numerous people call Santee "Klantee" and Lakeside "Hateside". There IS a history of racism in East County. Nobody said ALL of East County is racist. What if I told you that I am white myself? Would you still claim that I'm racist against white people? The fact that you had to bring Compton up and then whine about racism is really telling about the type of person you are. East County is definitely not Libertarian at all. Of course San Diego has ethnic neighborhoods. Nobody said that it didn't. L.A. has a lot more diversity. I think the local politicians should match the diversity of the area. Maybe we should have a Muslim mayor or Latino police chief. I simply want to see more diversity in the politics of the area to match the political, racial, and religious diversity of the city/county. Do you think old white people in power who grew up in the suburbs in the 1950s and 1960s know what the immigrant Chaldean population in El Cajon needs now? I hope you get my point. I don't think all Conservatives are racist at all. I think you have no other way of refuting what is being said here and pulling the "racist against white people" card is all you have. The fact is there is a history of racism in San Diego county. It is reflected in a lot of the bro, southern pride type attitude that is prevalent in parts of the county.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:29 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,948,664 times
I looked up pics of RanchoSante Fe and WOW, that's nice! What is the guy talking about?

Old 01-14-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
You certainly enjoy writing the word racist. Let me guess, you're voting for Trump right?

The point about the airport is that it is too small for the region it represents.

I think "protecting our freedom" is just a slogan used to recruit gullible young men and women into joining the military. If you believe that 1945 was a time when the military protected our freedom then tell me how they protected our freedom in Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and the other military ventures that have taken place since then. How were they protecting our freedom at the military prisons where many of them tortured innocent Iraqis? How were they protecting our freedom when the Patriot Act was signed into law?

Who calls it "Manila Mesa"? I have never heard anyone call it that. I have heard numerous people call Santee "Klantee" and Lakeside "Hateside". There IS a history of racism in East County. Nobody said ALL of East County is racist. What if I told you that I am white myself? Would you still claim that I'm racist against white people? The fact that you had to bring Compton up and then whine about racism is really telling about the type of person you are. East County is definitely not Libertarian at all. Of course San Diego has ethnic neighborhoods. Nobody said that it didn't. L.A. has a lot more diversity. I think the local politicians should match the diversity of the area. Maybe we should have a Muslim mayor or Latino police chief. I simply want to see more diversity in the politics of the area to match the political, racial, and religious diversity of the city/county. Do you think old white people in power who grew up in the suburbs in the 1950s and 1960s know what the immigrant Chaldean population in El Cajon needs now? I hope you get my point. I don't think all Conservatives are racist at all. I think you have no other way of refuting what is being said here and pulling the "racist against white people" card is all you have. The fact is there is a history of racism in San Diego county. It is reflected in a lot of the bro, southern pride type attitude that is prevalent in parts of the county.
Trump, never, he's an idiot, id vote for Rubio.

Dude, I think you should realize why the patriot act was signed in the first place. Furthermore, our military is one of the most feared in the world. And has every right to be, we can single handedly destroy every country in the world, (with consequence beyond belief of course) and defending freedom is what they do. We havent gone through a major war to gain territory in over 100 years. Iraq ended a few years ago, so basically your telling me to blame obama, dont worry already so.

Just because they are white doesnt mean they where voted Becaue of that. I would vote policies above race anyday. San Diego has never been an area of the south. Southwest of course, but saying we have southern pride is saying that LA has it to. Why would people people name Santee, a repulblican town, after a democrat creation, kkk. Havent heard hateside either, and ive been hear since the day I was born, as my father. I think you are talking about faux racism, the stuff college kids blow out of proportion.

P.S. You can be racist against your own race, it isnt unheard of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles