U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 09:09 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,234,421 times

Advertisements

San Diego is great for visiting. If I had no choice but to move there, I wouldn't complain too much, but at the same time, I wouldn't be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 09:10 PM

21 posts, read 16,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Yeah, San Diego pre-dates Los Angeles; it was established in 1769, whereas LA was established in 1781.
Thank you for being the the first person to understand that (and post about it). Therefore LA is younger, and of course, more popular.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:12 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,234,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PumaOrion View Post
Thank you for being the the first person to understand that (and post about it). Therefore LA is younger, and of course, more popular.
Los Angeles is not more popular than San Diego due to its age. There are other, more significant factors.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:13 PM

21 posts, read 16,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Los Angeles is not more popular than San Diego due to its age. There are other, more significant factors.

Of course not, I never said that it was, im just saying LA is more popular.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:53 PM

496 posts, read 461,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Hey, everyone has their own perceptions, some are based a bit more in exaggerations and stereotypes than others. As someone who grew up with the Northern Californian indoctrination of hating all things Southern California, and in the mountains no less- so we also hated flatlanders and those crazy liberals in The City, I've found much to like in both areas- I've always jokingly say to my Northern California friends, that San Diego is south of Southern California i.e "evil" L.A., that we are a mix of Midwestern (military transplants) and Mexico (Viva!)

I love L.A. but don't need to disparage other places to try to try to prop up my own city. It ain't London, Paris, Berlin, New York or Hong Kong, but I've been to all of those, as well as worked on the family farm in Nebraska, and have a pretty good idea what makes a place exceedingly livable, and still interesting. When I need a little more somepin' somepin' in my life- I just go there for a visit and grab it
i totally agree

Old 01-17-2016, 11:48 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,025,227 times
L.A. is glamorous and SD is laid back

Old 02-22-2016, 02:29 PM

108 posts, read 144,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
Los Angeles is a World class city with diverse communities, religions, cultures, and beliefs. Some may knock it for not being as urban as San Francisco or New York, but it's got a lot to offer despite the car culture and traffic. I enjoy my time there. San Diego is smaller than Los Angeles. The two aren't really alike except that they are both close to each other and in Southern California. San Diego gets praise for its beaches and beautiful weather, but there are down sides. It's very expensive and the job market is severely lacking. There are more retail and minimum wage/low paying jobs than high paying jobs so it gets difficult to find anything affordable without moving to the hot inland Christian Conservative parts of the county. The military does indeed have a large influence in San Diego County. The local television and radio stations constantly worship the military. Many local businesses want everyone to "support our troops". We have elected politicians like Duncan Hunter Jr that were in the military themselves who go on the news and say stupid things about bombing other countries and anti-Muslim/immigrant/gay rhetoric. They continue being elected despite this clearly ignorant thinking. This backwards thinking comes from a lot of the military and other transplants who have moved here from the South and Midwest. The universities like SDSU and UCSD are very liberal places. The inner city areas like downtown, Hillcrest, North Park, and City Heights as well as the South Bay cities of Chula Vista and National City are also liberal spots. These pockets of San Diego have turned the county blue the last two presidential elections. Despite this there is a conservative feeling in the area and even the mayor is a Republican. In a lot of ways San Diego is overrated and this is coming from a native of the area.
Where is the Christian conservative parts of California? That's where I want to be!!!!

Old 02-22-2016, 04:52 PM

160 posts, read 117,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saranshay View Post
Where is the Christian conservative parts of California? That's where I want to be!!!!
Yes. I'd like to know this too, so that I can stay far far away.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:06 PM

7,844 posts, read 14,709,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwnwbrwncw View Post
Yes. I'd like to know this too, so that I can stay far far away.
Basically anywhere inland besides urban Sacramento. East County San Diego. San Gabriel Valley. The desert (besides Palm Springs because it's all gays). Central Valley.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:26 PM
Status: "Corona Virus is here. God be with you" (set 5 days ago)

3,783 posts, read 2,857,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Basically anywhere inland besides urban Sacramento. East County San Diego. San Gabriel Valley. The desert (besides Palm Springs because it's all gays). Central Valley.

There are a lot of suburbs of Sacramento that are like that too. Probably at least half of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles